Alconbury 1987 - more pictures added

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
comet4

Alconbury 1987 - more pictures added

Post by comet4 »

As a change from the recent IAT posts, here are some pictures from the RAF Alconbury show in 1987.

Graham

Last edited by comet4 on Sun 07 May 2017, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom 892

Re: Alconbury 1987

Post by Phantom 892 »

Excellent. Some crackers there :yahoo:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Wonderful memories for me, the "home team" was enough to put on their own show!!
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Lovely stuff. Bit of blue sky never hurts. Did those two F-16s display?

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

thanks for posting, I think I was there
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I was certainly there. I have photos and yet I don't recall much about the show. I remember roughly where I watched the show from but I don't remember where I parked or how easy it was to get in. Interesting types there though and great weather.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Blue sky in 1987 - now there is a collector's item. Alconbury was a little hit & miss, but on its day a great venue with the along the crowd line taxiway.

I missed 87, so nice to see these pics. Good stuff.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

st24

Post by st24 »

Spiny Norman wrote:Did those two F-16s display?

Not as a pair - Hahn display ship and spare caught departing to another display (IIRC) at Aalborg, I'm sure the Lightning and spare made the same trip.

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Blue sky in 1987 - now there is a collector's item. Alconbury was a little hit & miss, but on its day a great venue with the along the crowd line taxiway.

I missed 87, so nice to see these pics. Good stuff.

Blue sky and a blistering hot day - as you say probably the only one in that drenched year! AR was always good value, never reaching Mildenhall size but the atmosphere and home team participation were always well received. You couldn't help thinking the yanks were truly happy to be open to the public.

Great shots of a great line up - Norwegian F-5 was the star for me. More here- viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5110&p=53669&hilit=alconbury+1987#p53669
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

comet4

Re: Alconbury 1987 - more pictures added

Post by comet4 »

Here are a few more pictures from the show. The show must have occurred between Alconbury losing their RF-4's and re-equiping with A-10's as neither of the types were on show.
Of interest is the building work going on in the background. The only building work presently being undertaken at Alconbury is the demolition of the hardened aircraft shelters and other buildings and the erection of a housing estate and a business park. The only aircraft activity is the Stirling forward fuselage being built by the Stirling Aircraft Project

Graham

st24

Re: Alconbury 1987 - more pictures added

Post by st24 »

comet4 wrote:Here are a few more pictures from the show. The show must have occurred between Alconbury losing their RF-4's and re-equiping with A-10's as neither of the types were on show.
Of interest is the building work going on in the background. The only building work presently being undertaken at Alconbury is the demolition of the hardened aircraft shelters and other buildings and the erection of a housing estate and a business park. The only aircraft activity is the Stirling forward fuselage being built by the Stirling Aircraft Project

The Phantoms left about 2 months before the show unfortunately, A-10s arrived early '88 though there were 3 from Bentwaters. the building work was for the "super HASs" for the TR-1s, just as the last one was competed the wall came down!... :facepalm:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!