International Air Tattoo 93 RAF Fairford

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

International Air Tattoo 93 RAF Fairford

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Its time for another stroll down memory lane folks, and as tempted as I am to branch out into other shows and venues I think the only way to follow last week's IAT 91 post is to move on to IAT 93. 1991 was a great year for the Tattoo, with the Gulf War Salute theme and Tiger Meet, and the trickle of Eastern Bloc hardware starting to join the show. 1992 had seen that trend gathering pace, and had seen the brilliant ATI at Boscombe, an Air Tattoo in all but name. 1993 raised the bar yet further. There was Soviet era hardware in quantity, and who'd have thought we'd ever see a Bear?

My first sight of the Bear was from around Cirencester as I was approaching the base pre-event. Carrying out flypasts for the media, as I went ten tenths in my little 205 GTi to make it to Fairford while it was still airborne. Which I didn't, so, I'll start with some pics from the static park

23-26 July, 1993

jumping forward to Monday, this was the longest take off run I've ever seen. So still no shots of it airborne!

a small selection of other things then..
the German Canberras used to be as regular as the Royal Jordanian Falcons

Halcones were back, with their new Extras. This is shot from the photo bus having just crossed over to the live side

and shutting down as we passed them on the way back

its zapped!

immaculate Biele Albatrosy machine

but you don't often see a team mount like this

Hungary brought the Sky Hussars. I'll never forget the noise

Now those Russian MiG-29s. Their Su-27 mounted Test Pilots colleagues were on the programme, but didn't show. On the very wet Saturday morning one of the Fulcrums flew a blistering solo routine to fill the Flankers' slot. Then the cloud disappeared, the sun came out and well, the MiG duo gave us a bit of a fright!

My Canon EOS-10 hunted like mad on the fireball, so all I got sharp was the wide view. You can see how much debris was raining down

Just about to impact here, which was on the perimeter fence just behind the Belgian C-130. There is a photo bus hidden behind the Lancaster. I've never seen a shot from there, the folks on board must have been terrified. A lucky escape all round that day

Patrouille Suisse were held for a while, but resumed the show in quite short order

this is an interesting wide shot, aside from the Italian support in FIAT, you can see the crash site still smoking. And the big BBC outside broadcast camera out on the field

The official theme of the event was the RAF's 75th, and it was ace to have the Aussie 'vark back to celebrate

I mustn't forget the Red Hats, of Kuwait. How could I.. ever?

a few departures to finish then

and my last shot of departure day

Finally, a flick through the programme

I hope that takes you back folks, whether you were there or not. :smile:

cheers,
Nige.
Last edited by Wrexham Mackem on Fri 05 May 2017, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maisie

Re: International Air Tattoo 93 RAF Fairford

Post by Maisie »

£4.50 for a tour on the photobus, if it happened these days I bet it would be £45+...

Great selection, superb in fact. Just sad that we won't ever have another one like it.. and I don't just mean the Russians, but the noise... layout, photobus etc...
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Maisie wrote:£4.50 for a tour on the photobus, if it happened these days I bet it would be £45+...

Great selection, superb in fact. Just sad that we won't ever have another one like it.. and I don't just mean the Russians, but the noise... layout, photobus etc...

Well the programme was a fiver, so in today's terms, photo bus would be a tenner or a little more I'm guessing. IAT always was a premium event, for sure, but the queue for the photo bus was always long. It was always included in FIAT too, which was handy. This event was the beginning of the end for the busses, it being pretty obvious after the MiG accident that they were too big a risk. They ran on in future events outside of the flying display, but supply and demand was always a problem when there were relatively few trips running.

It doesn't really make me bitter looking back to be honest Maisie. They were different times. I still get a great deal out of RIAT today; yes, its not like this any more but it is absolutely still the Air Tattoo. In my eyes, anyway. :biggrin:

And if you could hear the moaning at the time.. "it's too expensive/there are too many drop-outs and no-shows/its too big".. as much as that beggars belief these days!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

And to think this was the year after the RAF had stopped using Phantoms. It's worth being into my 60th year to have had memories like that.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Maisie wrote:£4.50 for a tour on the photobus, if it happened these days I bet it would be £45+...

Well the programme was a fiver, so in today's terms, photo bus would be a tenner or a little more I'm guessing. IAT always was a premium event, for sure, but the queue for the photo bus was always long. It was always included in FIAT too, which was handy. This event was the beginning of the end for the busses, it being pretty obvious after the MiG accident that they were too big a risk. They ran on in future events outside of the flying display, but supply and demand was always a problem when there were relatively few trips running.

It doesn't really make me bitter looking back to be honest Maisie. They were different times. I still get a great deal out of RIAT today; yes, its not like this any more but it is absolutely still the Air Tattoo. In my eyes, anyway. :biggrin:

And if you could hear the moaning at the time.. "it's too expensive/there are too many drop-outs and no-shows/its too big".. as much as that beggars belief these days!

I agree fully, I'm so thankful that I had a dad that took me to nearly all the UK shows from an early age. For a 32 year old, I've seen a lot of stuff that not many 32 year old spotters have. I speak to people around shows and airports and they often say "they wish they had seen..." and I think I'm lucky I have. Old times were the best, but in another 20 years time, these current times will be the same... I still love RIAT now for what it is though.

I was young at the shows in the 1990's, so I never took anything in around me apart from planes, planes and more planes.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Many thanks for a great set and for taking the time to scan and share :clap: :clap:

I was there and thoroughly enjoyed that show, aside from the MiGs incident. As you say, the show resumed pretty quickly afterwards. (I can't see that would be allowed to happen today).

I was at the opposite end of the airfield when it happened and can still remember the eerie silence and immediate change of atmosphere across the airfield until they confirmed the pilots were OK and there were no casualties.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but hope you don't mind if I add a few from my archives?
ImageFFD 93 29 (7) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-4 (16) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-4 (23) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-2 (24) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-1 (15) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-1 (18) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (22) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 (9) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (16) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 (2) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 (1) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD (25) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-2 (15) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Andy
Last edited by Blackbird on Sat 06 May 2017, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Blackbird wrote:Many thanks for a great set and for taking the time to scan and share :clap: :clap:

I was there and thoroughly enjoyed that show, aside from the MiGs incident. As you say, the show resumed pretty quickly afterwards. (I can't see that would be allowed to happen today).

I was at the opposite end of the airfield when it happened and can still remember the eerie silence and immediate change of atmosphere across the airfield until they confirmed the pilots were OK and there were no casualties.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but hope you don't mind if I add a few from my archives?

Andy

Of course I don't mind Andy, in fact would be delighted if others had shots they could share too. Its a mark of the depth of this event that you can post a set that features an entirely different cast of aircraft to mine.

You're right, the accident did affect the atmosphere hugely. The days before mobiles were common and without knowing for quite some time that there were no major casualties, it was a worrying time. By the evening time in the bar it was all OK, but what a lucky escape and you're right, there's no way they'd have pressed on these days, as the emergency cover was deployed and the airfield covered in debris.

Anyway, as ever with old static park photos its the environmental stuff that dates them. The cars, the way people are dressed, the presence of the aluminium camera cases (they were lethal weapons!), no tents on Kempsford, and there is a chance that might be st24's XR-4 parked behind the ripple Scout!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Another wonderful trip down memory lane :clap:

This was my second IAT and the first where I have much clearer memories of it. I did the Sunday so didn't see the MiG incident, but do remember some of the outrageous hardware on show, such as the Sky Hussars, Turbolets etc. I also recall it absolutely hammering down after the show and having to take shelter in the loos!

Halcyon days, oh for a time machine.... I do hope you'll continue to work through the years, I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing 97's selection in particular :cool:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Couldn't resist posting some more, which also show the range of exhibits in the static park.

Image24 (3) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD (21) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

A couple of a rarities
ImageFFD 93 (14) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 (25) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

An all time favourite :biggrin:
ImageFFD 93 29 (1) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (10) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (13) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (18) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (21) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93 29 (20) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-1 (7) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-1 (2) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-1 (9) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Probably the last time I saw a Wessex in flight
ImageFFD 93-3 (9) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageFFD 93-4 (4) by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

I hope these bring back some more happy memories. I'll look out my '97 shots shortly.

Andy :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

Great stuff gents, an epic show, mishap aside and just shows how spoiled we were. Personal memory of the Saturday was having to leave early for a girlfriend's do but being locked in following the crash! Incredible that I'd made the effort to leave such a show for the do but still ended up being late - I'm still paying for that even now (and still have the scars)... :surrender: :dizzy:

Wrexham Mackem wrote: The cars, the way people are dressed, the presence of the aluminium camera cases (they were lethal weapons!), no tents on Kempsford, and there is a chance that might be st24's XR-4 parked behind the ripple Scout!

It is indeed the old girl, much missed , much fun... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Fabulous stuff Nigel, well summarised too. The 1990s shows were absolutely stunning affairs, massive in size, with all kinds of nations appearing for the first time. The quality of the line ups was staggering. I'll add some in stages with Nigel's permission. Thursday was perhaps one of the most memorable arrival days I can ever recall, following a previous evening BBC forecast of don't go anywhere doom and gloom, rain, locusts, pestulance and all kinds of things were due to fall. It dawned sunny and basically stayed that way. As well as the Eastern Bloc gems such as the Czechs and gorgeous camo Hungarian MiG21s, Viggens and Aussie Vark, the press call of the Bear and Midas in two tanking passes was my all time favourite airshow memory. Fantastic :up:
Image1993 iat t11 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t10 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t9 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t8 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t7 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t6 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t5 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t4 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t3 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t2 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t1 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t13 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t14 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t15 by Paul Downes, on Flickr :love:

Image1993 iat t16 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t17 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t18 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat t19 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

And having hopped Australia-Singapore-Japan-Hawaii-West Coast USA-East Coast USA-Canada-Iceland-Fairford :biggrin:
Image1993 iat t20 by Paul Downes, on Flickr
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

I suspect the smoke seen in the shot of the Frecce Tricolori on the Fairford runway, was a smoke test just prior to take-off. They displayed and landed again before the ill-fated Russian MiG-29's took to the air I seem to recall. The running order in the programme seems to confirm that. Looking at that programme - quite a few changes were made on the Saturday, more than I thought actually (this was my first IAT -and heavy rain struck in the morning but it was clearing by 12pm). A display by the Grumman F-14 Tomcat would have been something - I think the only American item in the air that day was a US Army AH-64 Apache, as it turned out. Was the F-14 downgraded to static only?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The F-14 was never downgraded. As you can see from the programme, the only US Navy static expected was a P-3 Orion, luckily we had a carrier in the "near" vicinity and on the Wednesday we had the Intruder arrive with the Tomcat and a little later the Hornet turn up and added to the static. luckily for us as late additions they seem to be parked where reasonable statics could be obtained. :biggrin:
Image1993 iat st2 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Image1993 iat st1 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

paulb1973 wrote:I suspect the smoke seen in the shot of the Frecce Tricolori on the Fairford runway, was a smoke test just prior to take-off. They displayed and landed again before the ill-fated Russian MiG-29's took to the air I seem to recall. The running order in the programme seems to confirm that. Looking at that programme - quite a few changes were made on the Saturday, more than I thought actually (this was my first IAT -and heavy rain struck in the morning but it was clearing by 12pm). A display by the Grumman F-14 Tomcat would have been something - I think the only American item in the air that day was a US Army AH-64 Apache, as it turned out. Was the F-14 downgraded to static only?

Ah OK, well, I've jumped to incorrect conclusion there then. I do remember lots of smoke hanging around after the accident, in this case I guess it could be display smoke.

There were quite a few items scrubbed in the afternoon, more because they couldn't get out around the cordoned off areas, or were hemmed in by debris.

capercaillie wrote:The F-14 was never downgraded.

Yes, the F-14 was listed to fly, but was static in the event. The Programme has a very non-specific entry - "F-14 Tomcat, US Navy" suggesting a last minute before going to press inclusion. Shame it didn't fly, the previous year's flying appearances at Boscombe, Mildenhall and Woodford proved to be the last in the UK.

The lack of American participation in the flying was very much noted at the time. Still a great show though, and testament to the strength in depth in the early 90s.

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

I was listening to the Central Band of the RAF at the time the MiGs collided, but heard a reporter shouting at a sleeping cameraman to wake up - well words to that effect anyway, and I turned around to see the planes falling from the sky and the two parachutes floating down.

The other thing that sticks in my mind following the crash was a Military Land Rover driving through the crowds, horn blaring, taking the aircrew of the RAF Rescue Sea King or Wessex that was on static display to their helo, before the helo took off to assist in the inital moments after the incident.

Doubt that would be allowed to happen these days........................

st24

Post by st24 »

I seem to recall the F-14 display jockey was ill pre- show and couldn't fly and the carrier compensated with 3 statics..

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Yes, the F-14 was listed to fly, but was static in the event. The Programme has a very non-specific entry - "F-14 Tomcat, US Navy" suggesting a last minute before going to press inclusion. Shame it didn't fly, the previous year's flying appearances at Boscombe, Mildenhall and Woodford proved to be the last in the UK.

Nearly, there was one final display at Dunkeswell in June 1994, when a Pukin' Dogs Tomcat, one of the six deployed to Yeovilton from VF-142 and VF-143 for the 50th anniversary of D-Day commemorations displayed unbeknown to many at the time. :facepalm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpp4k_BzZY8Tomcat action between 6 and 10 minute mark :biggrin:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

It certainly slipped under my radar! Quite a display too. Dunkeswell, of all places. :shock: :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:. Dunkeswell, of all places. :shock: :smile:

Our thoughts exactly!!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

capercaillie wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Yes, the F-14 was listed to fly, but was static in the event. The Programme has a very non-specific entry - "F-14 Tomcat, US Navy" suggesting a last minute before going to press inclusion. Shame it didn't fly, the previous year's flying appearances at Boscombe, Mildenhall and Woodford proved to be the last in the UK.

Nearly, there was one final display at Dunkeswell in June 1994, when a Pukin' Dogs Tomcat, one of the six deployed to Yeovilton from VF-142 and VF-143 for the 50th anniversary of D-Day commemorations displayed unbeknown to many at the time. :facepalm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpp4k_BzZY8Tomcat action between 6 and 10 minute mark :biggrin:

Plymouth Hoe too (in 1994) - I was there with about a thousand other people. Same time as that one?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

paulb1973 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Plymouth Hoe too (in 1994) - I was there with about a thousand other people. Same time as that one?

Interesting, not heard about that one. Was that a full solo display as well?

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

capercaillie wrote:
paulb1973 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Interesting, not heard about that one. Was that a full solo display as well?

My memory is a bit hazy, but during my Plymouth Uni days I recall watching the flypasts on the Hoe itself (Saturday morning in June 1994 I assume) but over the loudspeaker someone announced there was to be a short solo F-14 Tomcat display later in the afternoon! Not totally believing what I had heard, I did venture back up to the Hoe around 3-4pm expecting a flypast of some kind - but we were treated to an ear-splitting solo display instead. I don't recall that many people being there to witness it, alas I didn't record the event on film/video - the camera I owned was a bit primitive then. That was my first ever sight of an F-14 in the air [earlier in the day aside] and as it turned out, my last.