Golden Years of Fairford

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
dreamworker

Re: Golden Years of Fairford

Post by dreamworker »

There's a shot of The Starfighters in my thread, scroll through the images. This team and all the various straighter teams were one of the undoubted highlights of my "golden Years "......and I too remember the Starfighters screaming overhead , that was Mildenhall 82. What I'd love to see Adrian if you have any, are shots of The Slivers at Biggin 1972.
ImageCF104G Greenham Common 1981 by John Chase, on Flickr

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

This is Fairford 81 by the way.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

dreamworker wrote:This is Fairford 81 by the way.

IAT didn't move to Fairford until 1985. If this was 81 it must have been Greenham.

Andy :smile:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I can't remember XH558 being at West Malling, so I must have somehow missed that year.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

rob68

Post by rob68 »

558 and the reds flew together at West Mailing, think it was the last year

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

:love:

Wonderful stuff, again!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Oh happy days and lots of great memories.

Andy

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

An absolutely belting post, and one that has me revelling in nostalgia. Lovely. :clap:

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

Sorry about the lack of info on these. They are as follows;
Treble One squadron Phantom at Greenham Common 1983, shot from the photo bus, also Jordanian Mirage F1 and the marvellous Vikings German Navy F104s, Vulcan XH558 with crew including Paul Milican in desert overalls at West Malling 1988; Viscount at Gatwick ; Buccaneer landing at St Mawgan 1986; Austrian Karo-As Saab 105 at Greenham Common 1983, Victor take-off at Greenham Common 1981, Lightning at North Weald Fighter Meet 1986, Phantom FGR2 AT Mildenhall 1988, Buccaneer take-off Fairford 1988; Harrier GR3 take off Middle Wallop 1983, Much excitement at Farnborough 1988 as SR71 Blackbird taxis out, Quebecair DC8 landing at Gatwick 1985, Pakistan Air Ways 747 bringing in spare engine to Heathrow 1987, EAP take off at Farnborough 1988, Chinook and demo at Abingdon 1983, retired VC10s also Abingdon 1984.

Steve Bond

Post by Steve Bond »

Sticking with the thread title, I would add a few from pre IAT days at Fairford, including the time when KC-135s were based there on rotation, but I cannot work out how to attach images here.

For me though, the 'Golden Years' were when it was full of B-47s and KC-97s, but I only have black and whites of those I'm afraid.

sdad

Post by sdad »

You can't attach them You have to host them elsewhere, then link to them.

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

I should say that my post relates to Fairford as an airshow venue, not a base for KC-135s and KC97s (lovely as they are ) ..........perhaps I should repost my images under a more appropriate heading . cheers guys

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Simply wonderful! Thank you for posting!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Steve Bond wrote:Sticking with the thread title, I would add a few from pre IAT days at Fairford, including the time when KC-135s were based there on rotation, but I cannot work out how to attach images here.

For me though, the 'Golden Years' were when it was full of B-47s and KC-97s, but I only have black and whites of those I'm afraid.

So you'd argue that a load of all the samey silver B-47s and KC-97s, as fabulous as they were, and no doubting they were, is more golden than two decades of probably the most international variety of colour schemes and charismatic post war military types ever seen at airshows anywhere in the world?

Keep posting dreamworker, although you are stretching it by posting shots that are not only not from Fairford but certainly outside Fairford's "golden" era. :wink: :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Steve Bond

Post by Steve Bond »

Ouch! Well I simply said "u]for me[/u] the golden era was earlier. In my view, which I assume I am allowed, it is not just about colour schemes, it is also about the charisma of some aircraft types and the general scene at the time. In the '60s there was not the huge variety of types, etc., that we have come to take for granted these days, so sights like a B-47 on long finals with the drag chute deployed, or taking-off with assistance from rocket bottles which were then dropped off (hopefully within the airfield boundary), are golden memories.