IAT 1992, Boscombe Down

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Vickers Warwick

IAT 1992, Boscombe Down

Post by Vickers Warwick »

IAT moved in 1992, I think the runway at Fairford was being resurfaced. I liked Boscombe Down as a venue, though afternoon sun made for tricky lighting conditions. This was the year that the CAF flew over their Liberator "Diamond Lil", and the Fighter Collection's P-38, the ill-fated Happy Jack's Go Buggy made its debut. Also destroyed (only two weeks later) was Rolls Royce Spitfire RM698.

First up the historics:

ImageBoscombe Down IAT 1992. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

A poignant line up:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: IAT 1992, Boscombe Down

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Ah very very nice. This is my time machine airshow. The one, if I could pick one to go back and do again, it would be this. Absolutely everything about it was utterly outstanding. And that moment in my little avatar of Kvotchur's arrival on the Saturday afternoon is my favourite airshow moment of all time too.

The event wasn't branded IAT - rather it was ATI - Air Tournament International. IAT was every other year in those days, it not being until 94 it went annual. The team used to organise various other things in the 'even' years, and having done the 'TVS Battle of Britain 50 Airshow Boscombe Down' in 90 they returned in 92 with the snappier ATI title. It was of course an IAT in all but name really. And all on the hallowed ground of Boscombe. With photobus tours to the live side. Incredible really.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Have to echo Nige on this. What a few days, sunburn, Tomcat, Lightnings (both of them) B24/30, Patrouille Suisse, Kvotchur's arrival on the Saturday afternoon after a couple of days of rumours. I have video somewhere I was mostly video in those days. All you can hear is me shouting "Look at That!!" over and over :grin: :grin: It was the most incredible airshow moment I have ever seen. :rock:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

It also ranks as my favourite all time airshow too :biggrin:

I'll post some pics...Just a few readily to hand.
Image______NO_DX_2b by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Image__NO_DX_1c by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Image___NO_DX_4d by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Andy :smile:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

That was a Great Show, The Comet Display was Awesome, BAE Lightning in the Static (I did not know there was one still bombing about!), SU-25 Special Scheme!! Wow!
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Vickers Warwick

All topped off by magnificent weather. I don't think we'll ever top those times.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

ah memories..

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Loved my visit there, and not being 'savvy' didnt know of it until the Saturday evening, so that Sunday ended up being my son's first ever airshow, and what a gig it was!

Loved the metal, the Cat, F4 etc displays, but what made it for me was watching the beat up of Boscombe by the P38, Mossie, Spit, Diamond Lil, and others tail chasing. The sound got me hooked. It was only a year or 2 ago that i found out that i also witnessed my first, and last RAF F-4 display too. :yahoo:

I have pics of it myself somewhere, plus some video that i shall try and find to go on my youtube channel.
Got to love Russianhardware

Vickers Warwick

Those shots of the Russian "arrival" bring it all back. Real flamboyance! I think that was a golden age for Air Displays - a growing warbird scene, and a massive variety of military hardware, with some Cold War gems clinging on.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Funnily enough I've just started scanning my Boscombe Down 1992 shots. I took a mix of slides and prints and my filing system being what it is, I haven't found them all yet so will be a while before I've scanned them all. Only did the Sunday so I missed that arrival unfortunately.