RAF Coltishall

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
CH79

RAF Coltishall

Post by CH79 »

Hello,

During difficult times for the world, it's a useful time to reflect on what was back in the day. I've always had an interest in aviation since my uncle took me to my local, RAF Coltishall, many moons ago. However, it wasn't until I was 25 that I became much more interested in photography. Unsurprisingly this coincided with the new age of digital, and in 2005 I got hold of a Canon 350D with 75-300mm lens. With time running out, I captured the following movements from the remaining days of RAF Coltishall, before its premature closure... great days...

ImageJaguar T.4, XX840, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageTornado F3, ZE728, TH, 25 Squadron, RAF Leeming by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ369, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XX738, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageSukhoi Su-22M4 Fitter K, 2-8310, Polish Air Force by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageHarrier GR.7 ZD437, 1 Squadron, RAF Cottesmore by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ109, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar T.4, XX150, 41 Squadron, Low Level Reconnaissance by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar T.4, XX838, 41 Squadron, Low Level Reconnaissance by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageHawk T1, XX285, 100 Squadron, RAF Leeming by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageHurricane MKIV, KZ321, 6 Squadron, The Fighter Collections by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageF-15C Eagle, 83-018, 493rd FS, 48th FW, RAF Lakenheath by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ364, 41 Squadron, Low Level Reconnaissance by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XX738, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ112, 54 Squadron, 65th Anniversary by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageTornado F3, ZE156, 56 Squadron, Firebirds, RAF Leuchars by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageSukhoi Su-22M4 Fitter K, 3-0509, Polish Air Force by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageFolland Gnat, Red Arrows Livery by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ103, 41 Squadron, Low Level Reconnaissance by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ399, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar 4-ship Arrival by Chris Heal, on Flickr

Image'Touching down short', Jaguar GR.3A, XZ399, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

Image'Touching down by the numbers', Jaguar GR.3A, XZ369, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageTornado F3, ZE728, TH, 25 Squadron, RAF Leeming by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageHarrier GR.7 ZD437, 1 Squadron, RAF Cottesmore by Chris Heal, on Flickr

Image"Light the Fire", Sukhoi Su-22M4 Fitter K, 3-0509, Polish Air Force by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar T.4, XX847, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

Image65th Anniversary Flypast, Jaguar GR.3A and Hurricane KZ321 by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar GR.3A, XZ394, 41 Squadron, Low Level Reconnaissance by Chris Heal, on Flickr

ImageJaguar Finale, GR.3A, XZ399, 6 Squadron, The Flying Can Openers by Chris Heal, on Flickr

What fun and diverse times. Hope you've enjoyed the journey down memory lane...

All the best,

Chris
Last edited by CH79 on Sat 25 Apr 2020, 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Coltishall

Post by Domvickery »

What a belting set of photos, and a very picturesque airfield!

How I’d love a time machine
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Stonking pics, wasn't expecting the Su22! Interesting to see a T.2 Jag carrying bombs, and a great formation shot with the Jags and the Hurri.

So much hardware we took for granted, now most of it has been retired...

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

Great set of photos.
Was never able to get there before it closed so thank you for sharing these.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Sadly only there twice, once in 97 and a thick fog negated any flying, the second time was a Belter and was ended up being one of the most memorable days spotting. That fence My god so low!!

Thanks for jogging the memories!
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

warferry

Post by warferry »

Thanks for the great shots I only got up there once ,it was on a base tour great day.
Well remember the Royal Observer Corps top brass, when I was a member, were extreemly woried in the early 70's about the SU22. Happy days remembered on both events. Must sort out my photos of the base tour. Terry

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Nice photos.
They’re not ‘Operational Evaluation Unit’ aircraft as your caption states.
41 Squadron Jaguars at the time of your photos were used in the low level reconnaissance role. When the remaining Jaguars went to Coningsby before Coltishall closed, they were all with 6 Squadron. 41 Squadron transferred to Coningsby in April 2006 to assume the role of the Fast Jet and Weapons Operational Evaluation Unit (FJWOEU,) operating Harrier GR9s and Tornadoes but not Jaguars.
Last edited by MikeH on Fri 24 Apr 2020, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

These are fantastic, a super throwback. Always used to love going to Coltishall but gutted I never got the opportunity to photograph anything on digital there.

CH79

Post by CH79 »

Many thanks for the comments guys.
It’s been great to look back on Colt and salvage some photographs.
MikeH - absolutely right, titles amended.

Cheers,
Chris

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Wonderful set of pics ,always liked to visit Coltishall !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

ARGHH absolutely beautiful set of images. Su-22s was 2005 if I recall? Only went to Coltishall once shortly before the base closed, but it was great to actually visit and see Jaguars up close. Sadly they had started to dismantle and dispose of airframes. Ah, just seeing Jaguars and Harriers really takes me back to the good old days, the images are so fresh and sharp they could have been taken yesterday. Thanks for sharing Chris
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

redbearing

Post by redbearing »

Chris

Simply superb, got any from Horsham St Faith in the 1960s? :clap: :clap: :clap: