Last Concorde Visit to Edinburgh, 24 Oct 2003

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Spiny Norman

Last Concorde Visit to Edinburgh, 24 Oct 2003

Post by Spiny Norman »

Friday 24 October 2003 was the last time a Concorde was seen in Scottish skies. G-BOAE made a landing at Edinburgh airport then took off for Heathrow where it formed a co-ordinated landing with others.

The normally quiet lanes were packed with onlookers for this occasion and the sun came out for its landing.

After it landed and with the wind not changing, we moved to the west end (north of the runway) to catch its take-off. A sad day but it was good to see it depart in style, disappearing almost into the sunset.

Ant.H

Re: Last Concorde Visit to Edinburgh, 24 Oct 2003

Post by Ant.H »

Fantastic shots Spiny, I remember this day really well. I watched the orchestrated arrival at Heathrow from the top of a mound in the middle of a field at Cranford, which was absolutely jam-packed with spectators. Amazing how much closer an elevation of about 15ft made everything seem! Memorable day, bittersweet.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Was quite a day. And yes bittersweet is the word. Managed to get back home to watch the live coverage from Heathrow.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Certainly was an emotional day, took the day off Work especially to see Concorde airborne for the final time. Certainly was a busy day around Edinburgh with the place filled with people, spotters and public alike all wanting to see this excellent aircraft one last time.

Just a shame they couldn't have arranged for the Concorde to Flypast over Edinburgh.

One other question, heard the conversation between the Pilot and Edinburgh on departure, just wondered wether anyone else heard it, something about that the pilot had flown Concorde to Edinburgh before, was it to do with the Parliament Opening Flypast?

I also recall that we only just made it home to watch the BBC.1 Coverage from Heathrow, I don't know how but we did.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

A flypast over the city would have been good. The Scottish pilot was able to fly over his home in Bridge of Allan,which would have been seen by a lot less people! May well have been the same pilot in 1999 but didn't hear that on the day.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

I watched it take-off from Heathrow, and land with the others, as I was working on the design of Terminal 5 at the time, and our office was on the middle floor of the office block next the visitor centre right next to north runway, so we had a great view looking down on to the crowds outside for the last landings.
We all waked outside and across the road to the fence though for the last take-off's.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I remember being a little disappointed at first that this Concorde G-BOAE wasn’t the Concorde which has come to East Fortune - That honour has gone to the equally elegant looking G-BOAA. Have decided to get down to East Fortune again to see Concorde amongst other Aircraft as soon as we are allowed to again.