RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by UKTopgun »

Don't know about anyone else but I always get that horrible stressed feeling if I only go to one display day... Through security at approx 8am, loo, eat a bacon roll, walk 2 miles of static going in one or two of the open aircraft then sit down at the front in time for 10am show start! All this lugging a heavy rucksack and chair!
Doable but very stressy!

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 26 May 2022, 9:59 pm
Don't know about anyone else but I always get that horrible stressed feeling if I only go to one display day... Through security at approx 8am, loo, eat a bacon roll, walk 2 miles of static going in one or two of the open aircraft then sit down at the front in time for 10am show start! All this lugging a heavy rucksack and chair!
Doable but very stressy!
In 2018 we stayed at Totters but walked down for the Sunday, walked the whole display line, took a detour on the way back to get some booze, got lost, walked back to Totterdown itself then back to the campsite. I think it was about 20 miles all in, a personal record for me that's yet to be beaten.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Long time lurker, first time poster…

Is the site map available yet? It will be interesting to see the layout this year. The map for 2020 showed that the flying aircraft were to be parked in the Green Zone, with the Red and Yellow
Zones effectively merged with the south taxiway apparently no longer in use. I seem to remember this being due to the planned RC-135 move and associated sensitivities prohibiting use of the north side - but could be completely wrong about that - and possibly a null factor this year with the aircraft staying at Mildenhall. There are some new hangars being constructed north-side however.

Having the opportunity to get closer to the flying aircraft would be much welcome, as is more space along the crowd line at the eastern end, but if the south taxiway at the east end is not used on arrivals then I may need to reconsider which P&V to use!

https://www.airtattoo.com/files/headeri ... sunday.pdf
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Great up-date but just a shame there is no Tonka coming from Italy.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

That 2020 Show Ground map is very interesting, having the display aircraft at the Western End was a great touch in 2015/16. I was dissapointed they got rid of this concept from 2017 onwards.

That looks like they would have been in the Bomber Loop though and I''m sure I read somewhere that area was planned for static aircraft this year.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Given the closure(?) of the northern taxiway on account of the construction works, to avoid a lot of backtracking in the runway, it may be that display aircraft are parked south side at both the East and West ends, plus a bunch on the usual north side area.

OscarM

Post by OscarM »

Maybe a post for the Whishlist thread, moderators feel free to move my post in that case.

I am very curious about the story behind Greek T-2 Buckeye's. Those are on just about everybody's whishlist and they are much discussed in the past decades but until today never turned up for RIAT. I think we don't have to ask if they were ever invited but why is it that we never saw them? Even despite the trainertheme this year and years ago. Is it that the Hellenic AF don't want to send them abroad? Is there another reason?

Peter/RIAT Air Ops: can you shine a light on this/do you have info which you can share?

My post is not meant as a comment, just curiosity of which I can't sleep at nights :sleeping: :sweat_smile:

Oscar

CJS

Post by CJS »

UKTopgun wrote:
Doable but very stressy!
You get in at 8, do the static and still get a spot at the front by 10? Good skills!!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

JMC

Post by JMC »

Re the Buckeye.

I'd hazard a guess that it would need to do a stopover and the airframes themselves are over 40 years old (which seems a big ask for what would most likely be static appearance), it's much more more a logistical ease to send an F-4 or F-16? But hey what do I know?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The 40 year old F-4s or previously A-7s that only come/came for static that do a stopover you mean?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JMC

Post by JMC »

Ah yes true I forgot about the A-7's! The F-4's have a larger range than a Buckeye, so did not know they stopped over!

Perfect example right there, of not thinking before spouting a reply.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

CJS wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022, 11:52 am
UKTopgun wrote:
Doable but very stressy!
You get in at 8, do the static and still get a spot at the front by 10? Good skills!!
Well maybe a few feet from the rope 😀

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022, 8:22 pm
CJS wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022, 11:52 am
UKTopgun wrote:
Doable but very stressy!
Well maybe a few feet from the rope 😀
I've been at the gate for opening time on a Friday before and still not managed to bag a front row space...

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Lordy, could you possibly imagin a pair of Buckeyes and a pair of A-4's at RIAT?

Both are possibly 'the' holy grail of that era aircraft, that havnt (as far as my addled memory goes back) attended since 92 onwards.
Got to love Russianhardware

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 3:43 pm
Lordy, could you possibly imagin a pair of Buckeyes and a pair of A-4's at RIAT?

Both are possibly 'the' holy grail of that era aircraft, that havnt (as far as my addled memory goes back) attended since 92 onwards.
I remember the excitement of an A4 being added in 2017, and the subsiquent disappointment when it cancelled.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

OscarM wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022, 11:14 am
I am very curious about the story behind Greek T-2 Buckeye's. Those are on just about everybody's whishlist and they are much discussed in the past decades but until today never turned up for RIAT. I think we don't have to ask if they were ever invited but why is it that we never saw them? Even despite the trainertheme this year and years ago. Is it that the Hellenic AF don't want to send them abroad? Is there another reason? Peter/RIAT Air Ops: can you shine a light on this/do you have info which you can share?
I'm afraid the only people who could answer you properly would be the Greeks themselves. However, I am aware (informally) that the aircraft's legacy radio fit would make the long transit difficult/impossible in some areas. That said, they're remain on our wish list and will be invited for as long as they're still flying.

Cheers,
Peter

Cole

Post by Cole »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 4:24 pm
OscarM wrote:
I am very curious about the story behind Greek T-2 Buckeye's. Those are on just about everybody's whishlist and they are much discussed in the past decades but until today never turned up for RIAT. I think we don't have to ask if they were ever invited but why is it that we never saw them? Even despite the trainertheme this year and years ago. Is it that the Hellenic AF don't want to send them abroad? Is there another reason? Peter/RIAT Air Ops: can you shine a light on this/do you have info which you can share?
I'm afraid the only people who could answer you properly would be the Greeks themselves. However, I am aware (informally) that the aircraft's legacy radio fit would make the long transit difficult/impossible in some areas. That said, they're remain on our wish list and will be invited for as long as they're still flying.

Cheers,
Peter
I know you'll do your best to get them to come, you probably want to see them more than us !
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

OscarM

Post by OscarM »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 4:24 pm
OscarM wrote:

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your answer. Clear to me now :slight_smile:

I want to wish you some very good weeks from now until the show with some nice and juicy aircraft. I can imagine that it is very satifying when aircraft from your wishlist turn up on RIAT. Thanks for all the effort!

Gr. Oscar

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

A-10 Demo team have done a Q&A on instagram, naturally the subject of RIAT has come up and they have confirmed that they won't be here this year.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Disapointing, but still looking like a great show. Peters comments on the last page about the F35 cost and the removal of RIAT on the schedule completely make me wonder if we will have any US Displays this year. (Unless I've misread into the comments, in which case, appologies)

I am still hoping for USAF participation in flying by way of flypasts though from European based aircraft.
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Sat 28 May 2022, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

It just re-iterates the importance of nothings confirmed until DBH update us (Yeah, Yeah, I know - until it hits the Tarmac) I feel for DBH over this one, every update on Thursday is met by multiple social media comments about the A-10/F-35.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Luke28 wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 7:12 pm
It just re-iterates the importance of nothings confirmed until DBH update us (Yeah, Yeah, I know - until it hits the Tarmac) I feel for DBH over this one, every update on Thursday is met by multiple social media comments about the A-10/F-35.
Yeah, no doubt both DBH and A10 demo have been bombarded with messages so it can't be easy for them. DBH are putting together a great show and the USAF are still well committed to RIAT on the static display, with more possible, it is a pity about the A10 but so much more to look forward to.

One thing I did notice, the USAF 75th is an anniversary theme and not actually the main operational theme, unlike 2017 and the 70th when the show was built around it.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

As the story expires after 24 hrs, I’ve screengrabbed the video for future reference:

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

usaf 75th without any usaf flying displays, maybe at least some flypasts? With high costs what could they send over for static anyway? Maybe a C-17, U-2 and KC-10 as they are in Europe anyway, but cant really think of anything else.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

The U-2's and KC-10's currently over here are heavily involved in Eastern Europe.