Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
rdchawk

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by rdchawk »

Be interesting to see if the Patrouille Suisse actually turn up for the October show or if that was to bait people to get tickets again.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Wingwalkers, Falcons and p-47 all scrubbed from an already thin lineup. P-47 was one of the few I would have wanted to see

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

rdchawk wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:38 am
Be interesting to see if the Patrouille Suisse actually turn up for the October show or if that was to bait people to get tickets again.
It is on the Patrouille Suisse schedule, but hasn't been mentioned by Duxford, so I doubt its bait to get tickets for Duxford.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Moan,moan,moan.everyone has a choice of whether to go or not to go and I expect people would pay alot more to watch live football,cricket,concerts etc.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

jules48 wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 11:57 am
Moan,moan,moan.everyone has a choice of whether to go or not to go and I expect people would pay alot more to watch live football,cricket,concerts etc.
In this instance can do football, cricket and concerts for less money.
Whisky Connoisseur

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

jules48 wrote:
Trust us most of us made the choice not to go and I wouldn’t say I pay more. I have a season ticket for a top tier premiership rugby team and I pay only slightly more than that for the whole week of riat. I pay far more to visit airshows

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Tutor went up but cancelled display it seems. Pitts, Strikemasters, Catalina and Gyro have flown today.

JMC

Post by JMC »

jules48 wrote:
I agree to some extent, but this comment comes across a little near sighted. Judging by the crowds at Duxford, they’ve opted for the latter. Not many have bothered and rightfully so. From years gone by Duxford has been one of the highlights of the airshow calendar, so to not be in attendance is gutting and to ask for 45 is daylight robbery regardless of the original museum cost. A show that used to draw in Air Combat Command, 747’s, Belgian F16, Patrouille France, Lakenheath & The Hall flypasts, Great RAF attendance, rare warbirds, Classic jets, unique formations and last year confirmations of the Swiss Hornet and the Czech Gripen (the year before). Maybe this show is suffering the same fate as Cosford in that they started planning late?

What I think really hurts with Duxford is that it’s slowly but surely being taken away from the enthusiast and is now focused on appeasing earth mothers from Hackney for a gentle day out.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Just got back. To keep it short, lacklustre - at best and the weather didn’t help. For the avoidance of doubt, the flying itself was very good and all credit to the pilots in some iffy conditions. There was just far too much bread and not enough filling.

I feel sorry for the punters who thought they’d see the Red Arrows display and all they got was a fly past. I don’t know what was advertised?

Andy

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Blackbird wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 5:47 pm
Just got back. To keep it short, lacklustre - at best and the weather didn’t help. For the avoidance of doubt, the flying itself was very good and all credit to the pilots in some iffy conditions. There was just far too much bread and not enough filling.

I feel sorry for the punters who thought they’d see the Red Arrows display and all they got was a fly past. I don’t know what was billed?

Andy
Red Arrows were always flypast only Saturday only.
Whisky Connoisseur

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Just got back as well. Apart from the odd bit of rain, not really enough to put on waterproofs, and the wind chill, I quite enjoyed it. Did like the Fokkers, very inventive display.

Re the Tutor. The RAF have set the minimum cloud base for a Tutor display at 1500ft. When the Tutor went up the cloud base was 700ft.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Duxford Summer Air Show M11 end @ 4pm. That's my camera bag propping up the fence.

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

They say a picture’s worth a thousand words!
BTW I thought the Fokkers were the highlight of the day.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

A sad sad day for my favourite place to visit

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 6:31 pm
Duxford Summer Air Show M11 end @ 4pm. That's my camera bag propping up the fence.

I can almost hear the echos of keystrokes from a certain ex staffer airing his views at this. I couldn't go this weekend....there's a lot on up here at the moment.... but in all honesty, I couldn't get enthusiastic for the lineup at the cost. Hope the Battle of Britain show has a more substantial lineup, I might get the chance by then.....

Pat

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Glad I decided to stay away. Have spent a lot of money attending Duxford airshows over the past 28 years, but won't be spending any more until they have a serious change of direction.

Andy'll do

Post by Andy'll do »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Wow,in all my years of going to shows at Duxford,I have never seen it like that. I hope the new crop of people running I.W.M take note !! And yes,I am aware of what been going on the past couple of years & spiralling costs etc,but that isn't gonna pay the bills !!!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Could still book a ridiculous good line up for a flying day in October but couldn’t be bothered for one of their main airshows 🤦

Post by 5944 »

BBMF
Long EZ
The Blades
The Tigers Army Parachute Team
Great War Display Team
Autogyro
Wildcat Aerobatics
Red Arrows
OV-10 Bronco
Strikemaster
Catalina
Vampires x2
Wingwalkers
Muscle Pitts
Spitfire MkIX

Lineup from Great Yarmouth 4 years ago. Apart from a few warbirds and the B-17, not hugely different to this weekend's lineup at Duxford. Understandably, it's been absolutely slated on social media.

I can't understand the direction Duxford is heading in at the moment. Lacklustre air shows that don't attract enthusiasts, and are overpriced so families can't afford them. But then you have the flying days that seem to be mainly booked up by members who don't pay any extra to get in. It's a very odd way of operating.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I did the midlands air festival and the line up was basically the same as duxford except the reds and bbmf displayed and for £56 for 2 days was just far better value

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Pen Pusher wrote:

One slight thought re this pic, were people on the adjacent grass as I know many don't like to sit on hardstandings?

If that pic does represent the crowd numbers however, then wow! IWM really did mess up this show.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 7:58 pm
I did the midlands air festival and the line up was basically the same as duxford except the reds and bbmf displayed and for £56 for 2 days was just far better value
More Spitfires/Hurricanes at Ragley, who would have thought that would happen?

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

In front of the 'tank bank', 1:30pm, as the show started.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

How busy where the hangars with the wet weather?