RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by AARDVARK »

Thought I would chip in with my 2 pennies worth on this year’s RIAT.

Static.. 5 stars..

Amazing line-up (lots of heavies which is always good to see and rare stuff)

E4B
A4
Sabre
Swedish Historic Flight
German A340
Brazilian KC390
Canadian Polaris
Romanian Clank
Bahrain Herc
List goes on ..

Only slight gripe is positioning for pics ,cones and clutter in back ground inc the FairFord eye grrrrrr!!

Flying .. 4 Stars

Good combi flypasts
Austrian QRA demo was outstanding
Black Eagles fantastic
Beluga good to see

Nice selection of fast jets and props, but I just feel that aside from the Black Eagles it was lacking a real star flying item, like an F22, Mig 21, Su-27 or even the Swedish historic flight (all out of the Peter and teams hands) and very telling that one of the major themes was represented by a brief fly in from Mildenhall (USAF Osprey), great shame that for whatever reason the continental USAF items didn’t make it over.

I have to admit I have never been so uninterested or disengaged from a Red Arrow display as i have this year, it wasn’t just the fact they only have 7 jets this year it was the fact that they are so staid and samey, nothing seems to change ,there appears to be a total lack of imagination or dynamism, i really do think they need to look at a new aircraft ,is there any merit in transitioning to Typhoons ,maybe 6 of them, the Hawk is tired and old now but it’s not just the aircraft it is the display routine is tired and old now, i mean is it me or do they hardly do any looping manoeuvres anymore, why not finish with a loop and break like the old days and maybe 4/5 line abreast loop, just things that haven’t been done for a many many years , its not knocking the ability and professionalism of the pilots ,just what they have trained to perform.

Finally, lovely poignant touch to pay tribute to the grey wolf, Colonel Oleksandr of the Ukrainian Airforce, with a commentary at the start of the flying and memorial on the ground, sure he was looking down on proceedings and there in spirit, with Blue Skies in honour of him all week.

All in all a great comeback show with not a drop of rain in sight ,well done to Peter and all the team at DBH, roll on next year 👍

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

My thoughts on this year's show, having spent 6 days at Fairford with the FRIAT package:

Static - Fantastic variety, with rarities including the A4 and E4B. Brilliant to see the Western loop used to its full advantage, brings back memories from the late 90s!

Flying - Again I thoroughly enjoyed the flying display. Content to cater for all, very much enjoyed the Austrian QRA demo and the Black Eagles.

Car Parks - I parked in Red, Green and Blue over the week. All okay with getting in and out of the airfield with traffic building up on the Saturday at Green only.

Merchandise - Nothing really stood out this year, and the same goes for the FRIAT items too. Not many Aviation shops either which is a shame but a sign of the times.

FRIAT - Lots of highs but a few lows for me, having done FRIAT for the last 15+ years. Great thinking of the team to extend the area on Monday into the enclosure which sat alongside the FRIAT stands to allow more space. I sat in the stands and down the front on the grass area, I much preferred the grass area to the stands. A shame to see the Squadron Prints Airshow print no longer being given to FRIAT members, and the gifts and merchandise aren't anything special either. I would much rather a challenge coin each year or something similar, possibly a new partnership with Runway25??

Overall, a fantastic show and great to be back at Fairford once again. I am considering moving away from FRIAT and purchasing GA tickets instead as I do not really feel the benefits anymore if I do not use the stand. Also a shame to hear that PlanesTV are no longer producing a DVD/Blu-Ray for RIAT, which is making me consider selling my camera gear and moving onto videography!

Berf

Post by Berf »

Someone mentioned earlier that they had been told by stateside aircrew that the B52s were cancelled due to politics.

I can go for that. Two heavy bombers being deployed to a forward operating location is prime fodder for Russian propaganda. It could not only result in some form of action towards new NATO applicants, or interruption of gas supplies to Europe (which economically would be a disaster) or worse still other atrocities in Ukraine as NATO is upping its strike force in Europe. Yes I know its an airshow but that won't matter to the Russians. It's all a very delicate situation and we are not party to many of the negotiations that are going on behind the scenes - no point in putting anything in the way of possible peace. It was the right decision.

Rhino93

Post by Rhino93 »

Berf wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 9:30 am
Someone mentioned earlier that they had been told by stateside aircrew that the B52s were cancelled due to politics.

I can go for that. Two heavy bombers being deployed to a forward operating location is prime fodder for Russian propaganda. It could not only result in some form of action towards new NATO applicants, or interruption of gas supplies to Europe (which economically would be a disaster) or worse still other atrocities in Ukraine as NATO is upping its strike force in Europe. Yes I know its an airshow but that won't matter to the Russians. It's all a very delicate situation and we are not party to many of the negotiations that are going on behind the scenes - no point in putting anything in the way of possible peace. It was the right decision.
Thunder Over Michigan in the US this past weekend also had their B-52 appearance cancelled last minute so it's most likely due to other reasons..

Rhino93

Post by Rhino93 »

Glad I made the last minute trek over for RIAT this year! The variety in the air and on the ground was amazing once again!

You guys sure get spoiled with this show in the UK, coming from the usual shows in Canada and the US nothing even comes close to comparing to this one! The amount of complaining and disappointment from some people is absolutely astounding for what is pulled off here. We can only dream of a show like RIAT on this side of the world!

Great job to all involved, looking forward to being back again in the future!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Went Friday and Saturday - really great to be back at RIAT

Really enjoyed seeing the rehearsals in the morning before the flying display on Friday and that Zeus F16 rehearsal was great!

Highlights
Black eagles , Freece, Swiss F18 with PC7
Austrian QRA demo, Belgian F16, Spanish F18, Italian C27
Good to see the return of the Silver Swallows
Hungarian Hind - I thought was one of the best helicopter displays I've seen - the rehearsal on Friday seemed more aggressive than the display on Saturday
Really enjoyed the Czech Hind/ Hip pairs display

Baby Blue failed to make an impact - maybe better at Cosford?

Only gripe was that for the Friday display some of the the PA system was not working between the FRIAT stand and viewing village and then cut out during the Black Eagles display on Saturday!

Also didn't manage to get on base parking in green car park but nil major issue getting in / out this year.

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

Vaporwave wrote:
Tue 19 Jul 2022, 10:07 pm
What do we think are the chances of a B-1B ever coming back to fly at RIAT? I’m guessing low?
Probably higher than if you asked the following question 3 months ago;

‘What do we think the chances of seeing an E-4B at RIAT are?’

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Rhino93 wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 2:35 pm
Berf wrote:

Thunder Over Michigan in the US this past weekend also had their B-52 appearance cancelled last minute so it's most likely due to other reasons..
Supposedly it was due to an in flight emergency somewhere in the fleet
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Mike

Post by Mike »

Vaporwave wrote:
What do we think are the chances of a B-1B ever coming back to fly at RIAT? I’m guessing low?
I don't understand why you think it is so unlikely, I saw one make a flypast at Duxford as part of a Global Power mission out of the US only a few weeks ago.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Rhino93 wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm
Glad I made the last minute trek over for RIAT this year! The variety in the air and on the ground was amazing once again!

You guys sure get spoiled with this show in the UK, coming from the usual shows in Canada and the US nothing even comes close to comparing to this one! The amount of complaining and disappointment from some people is absolutely astounding for what is pulled off here. We can only dream of a show like RIAT on this side of the world!

Great job to all involved, looking forward to being back again in the future!
You couldn't be any more correct, I'm British but I do not hesitate in calling out the majority of the British public for being pampered, spoilt and ungrateful. As clearly expressed on this forum and even more so, social media. We're not any more deserving of any other nation in the world of staging such a large scale event, but somehow we're lucky to have it, practically on our doorstep.
Fast jet fanatic.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Mike wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:26 pm
Vaporwave wrote:
I don't understand why you think it is so unlikely, I saw one make a flypast at Duxford as part of a Global Power mission out of the US only a few weeks ago.
Yet, I asked this very question in the wishlist thread earlier on and you gave the redundant response that I live in a fantasy parallel universe. 🙄
Fast jet fanatic.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 8:56 pm
Evening Folks,
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 11:47 am
Other than that, I'd be surprised if we don't get a Voyager
The RAF Voyager fleet is probably the busiest it's even been at the moment, so at this stage it looks like you may be surprised Caper!

Cheers,
Peter
Just to go back a month, Peter you owe me a groat, no need to go back and see if I've doctored the post either. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Non -surprised face. :neutral_face:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Wissam24 wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:13 pm
Rhino93 wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 2:35 pm
Berf wrote:

Supposedly it was due to an in flight emergency somewhere in the fleet
I have looked a few times on ADSB in the last week and haven’t seen a single B-52 over the US. Usually see them on there. I wonder whether they have been temporarily grounded.

Vaporwave

Post by Vaporwave »

Jameslw1993 wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:41 pm
Mike wrote:
Vaporwave wrote:
Yet, I asked this very question in the wishlist thread earlier on and you gave the redundant response that I live in a fantasy parallel universe. 🙄
Yeah, I remember seeing your post, and the replies 😂
I just desperately hope to see/hear one again. A fly past would be great and I wouldn’t complain, but I want to hear the beast take off and set car alarms off again. I’ve missed that.
Hopefully the USAF make up for their lack of support this year and bring the goods next year!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I don't understand how people are still saying lack of US Support. It was brilliant.

Flying
Bell Boeing CV-22B Osprey 7th Special Operations Squadron

Static
Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II 495th Fighter Squadron
McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle 492nd Fighter Squadron
McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle 494th Fighter Squadron
Bell Boeing CV-22B Osprey 7th Special Operations Squadron
Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker 351st Air Refuelling Squadron
Lockheed Martin MC-130J Commando II 67th Special Operations Squadron
Boeing KC-46A Pegasus 514th Air Mobility Wing
Lockheed U-2S 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron
Lockheed Martin F-16CM Fighting Falcon 555th Fighter Squadron
Boeing E-4B 595th Command and Control Group
Add to that the 2 B52s that had to cancel, which is looking more like it was a tech issue with the emergancy landing. Would it have been good to have more in the air? absolutely, but the support was still brilliant. People need to temper their expectations, USAF 75th wasn't the operational, main theme of RIAT like it was back in 2017 for the 70th, it was only the anniversary theme along with the Jubilee.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Vaporwave wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:01 pm
Jameslw1993 wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:41 pm
Mike wrote:
Vaporwave wrote:
Yeah, I remember seeing your post, and the replies 😂
I just desperately hope to see/hear one again. A fly past would be great and I wouldn’t complain, but I want to hear the beast take off and set car alarms off again. I’ve missed that.
Hopefully the USAF make up for their lack of support this year and bring the goods next year!
Yeah, the replies were quite something. 🤣
Atleast a couple of people were useful.

I'm with you on that one, I haven't seen a B1 in the air since Mildenhall 2000, so I'm keen to hear its power again.
Fast jet fanatic.

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Was there for the P&V on Thursday then Saturday and Sunday's main event.

A huge thanks to everyone who contributed to what in my view was a simply outstanding RIAT 2022, including the Swindon shuttle service on Sat/Sun. Great job.

verreli

Post by verreli »

capercaillie wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 4:45 pm
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 8:56 pm
Evening Folks,
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 11:47 am
Other than that, I'd be surprised if we don't get a Voyager
The RAF Voyager fleet is probably the busiest it's even been at the moment, so at this stage it looks like you may be surprised Caper!

Cheers,
Peter
Just to go back a month, Peter you owe me a groat, no need to go back and see if I've doctored the post either. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Non -surprised face. :neutral_face:
To be fair he was quite careful with his language. Irrespective, it was nice to see it in formation with the Reds and I also preferred to see the Beluga as a solo so it all worked out for the best.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Agree with the bit above from Verreli about the Beluga being a solo moment - it worked a treat. I found that as pretty as it was to have the Reds in formation with various aircraft over the weekend, their smoke can actually disrupt a lot of shots, particularly when they get broadside to your position. I'd rather the flypasts feature no smoke. But that's just me.

I could say more about the flypasts in some cases being a single pass, and approaching from the direction that was marginally into the sun (mornings), but that's probably being picky. They were great to see nonetheless.

Was there no chance of any of the flypasts being completed with a slight top side curve like we've seen in the past?
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

There was a rumour that the USAF and DHB has a bit of a 'misunderstanding' about the Thunderbirds....
Hence the lack of USAF flying and heritage flights unconfirming....

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Andyph wrote:
Thu 21 Jul 2022, 8:23 am
There was a rumour that the USAF and DHB has a bit of a 'misunderstanding' about the Thunderbirds....
Hence the lack of USAF flying and heritage flights unconfirming....
Source?
As I have said before DBH were fulsome in their praise and thanks to the USAF at the FRIAT Forum.
I've heard the B-52s were cancelled for three "reasons", lack of tanker support, grounding due to an in-flight emergency or US government worried about provoking Putin. Someone on FC who follows such things reported that he has not been able to track any stateside BUFFS for the last week so take your pick.

The very fact that theE-4B turned up suggests no misunderstandings because that would have been the easiest of the lot to withdraw for "operational causes."
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

JMC

Post by JMC »

A rumour can travel all the way round the world before the truth has even got its shoes on!

verreli

Post by verreli »

JMC wrote:
Thu 21 Jul 2022, 12:14 pm
A rumour can travel all the way round the world before the truth has even got its shoes on!
Welcome to a world full of fake news. Take your pick of what's right. Good luck.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 21 Jul 2022, 8:48 am

The very fact that theE-4B turned up suggests no misunderstandings because that would have been the easiest of the lot to withdraw for "operational causes."
This.

And, additionally, if some sort of misunderstanding re the Thunderbirds really was the case, then surely the B-52s would never have been approved and confirmed in the first place. We know how DBH are sticklers for getting the full and proper approvals before announcing anything.

Regardless - it’s done now, and the show was what it was (for me, a belter!)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I don't get the misunderstanding with the Thuderbirds as they were always booked elsewhere that weekend (Dunluth Minesotta)