Duxford Flying Finale Saturday 8th October

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum

Duxford Flying Finale Saturday 8th October

Post by 5944 »

Patrouille Suisse self confirmed. Arriving Thursday 6th October, practice Friday 7th, depart Monday 10th.

I assumed it was another "Flying Day" with members getting free entry like last year, but it's not. The model aircraft day on Sunday 9th October is a flying day though. £35 for the day including car parking isn't too bad, depending on the line up.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events/ ... ing-finale

Mike

Re: Duxford Flying Finale Saturday 8th October

Post by Mike »

I wonder where they’ll operate from. Cambridge, perhaps?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Dips toe into the 'flares or not' debate and seeks speculation...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Belgian F-16 used flares at Duxford some years ago. I believe he was operating out of LN

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Normally Mildenhall, as it’s open at weekends. They’d have to open up the whole base for a single F-16 if it flew from Lakenheath.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Breitling Jets used them as well quite recently - though they didn't appear to be genuine military flares, they looked more like fireworks!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The Breitling Jets operated out of Duxford, could the F5s also operate out of Duxford?

Orion

Post by Orion »

5944 wrote:
Wed 03 Aug 2022, 5:43 am
Patrouille Suisse self confirmed. Arriving Thursday 6th October, practice Friday 7th, depart Monday 10th.

I assumed it was another "Flying Day" with members getting free entry like last year, but it's not. The model aircraft day on Sunday 9th October is a flying day though. £35 for the day including car parking isn't too bad, depending on the line up.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events/ ... ing-finale
I am planning to renew my IWM Membership next year when the pension has caught up with inflation, so, am I to take it that IWM Membership doesn't always offer free entrance on weekdays? I've looked at the FAQ page and cannot find a reference. If it doesn't then it won't be good value.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Orion wrote:
Wed 03 Aug 2022, 2:50 pm
am I to take it that IWM Membership doesn't always offer free entrance on weekdays? I've looked at the FAQ page and cannot find a reference. If it doesn't then it won't be good value.
I’m not sure where you get that from. Members get in free on all days except for certain special events (airshows)

Orion

Post by Orion »

Mike wrote:
Wed 03 Aug 2022, 3:29 pm
Orion wrote:
Wed 03 Aug 2022, 2:50 pm
am I to take it that IWM Membership doesn't always offer free entrance on weekdays? I've looked at the FAQ page and cannot find a reference. If it doesn't then it won't be good value.
I’m not sure where you get that from. Members get in free on all days except for certain special events (airshows)
I was quoting an earlier post from 5944 that gave that impression.

5944 said:

"I assumed it was another "Flying Day" with members getting free entry like last year, but it's not. The model aircraft day on Sunday 9th October is a flying day though. £35 for the day including car parking isn't too bad, depending on the line up."

I am pleased that the impression is wrong.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The post was talking about charging members for the October airshow (unlike last year). Nothing to do with weekdays.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Best way to get into DX free on non show days is not IWM membership but Catalina/Sally B membership. And cheaper too if I remember rightly.

Post by 5944 »

For a family of four (2A + 2C)

Catalina £25 family
Sally B £75 family
Duxford membership £114
Duxford family day entry £82.50

JMC

Post by JMC »

Less than a month to go, wonder when we'll see the confirmed list?

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

JMC wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 5:37 pm
Agreed. Flightline UK lists Patrouille Suisse and Catalina as self-confirmed currently.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

That's the the problem. This airshow is so late in the calendar I'm not sure if much will be available for displays - IWM got lucky last year as the UK airshow season started a bit later due to COVID so the BBMF and Typhoon were still flying, and with good weather, it ended up being one of Duxford's most popular events.

Hopefully charging members for this airshow doesn't come back to bite them...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 7:48 pm
That's the the problem. This airshow is so late in the calendar I'm not sure if much will be available for displays
They used to have an autumn airshow in October every year and they were pretty well attended from memory - even had the debut of the Meteor T7 back in 2011.

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

I used to enjoy the end of season October shows, they often had great content with a 'star' act like Patrouille de France ect. A shame this one is on a Saturday not Sunday and is it being classed as an air display with traders ect or a flying day ?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

JMC wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 5:37 pm
im surprised we havent had any confirmations yet, but i suspect we can forget anything from the RAF as i wouldn't be surprised if they wrapped up early

last year the show was really good, and the group i was with at the time said it was worth paying for, same with the flying evening. if it ends up being one of those 2 hour shows with a few spits its going to leave a sour taste i think

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 8:29 pm
Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 7:48 pm
That's the the problem. This airshow is so late in the calendar I'm not sure if much will be available for displays
They used to have an autumn airshow in October every year and they were pretty well attended from memory - even had the debut of the Meteor T7 back in 2011.
Oh I'm not complaining, the return of the October airshow is a great addition to the season and I still remember catching a glimpse of the Meteor arriving in 2011 with a run and break as I was crossing the bridge from the car park. Though I simply worry as to what we can expect - compared to last year's 'free' display for members. I suppose with the self-confirmed Pat Suisse it's a good start.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

I think the RAF stuff might not be available that late in the year, but there should plenty out there that could still appear - RNHF, any of the Wasps or Scouts, Gazelle Squadron, Historic Helicopters, Gnats, Jet Provosts, Strikemasters besides all the based warbirds. I wouldn't worry too much.

Post by 5944 »

Lancaster is shown on the header photo on the website so that might be a clue, and it's down to display at the members day at Coningsby the previous week so might be available as well.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

We had the Typhoon last October so fingers crossed for a return.

Would absolutely love a little jet fest with the Strikemaster pair, Typhoon and a Gnat or two backing up the F-5s... I can dream.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Have the Gnats actually done any displays in the past 5 years or so, apart from the 2018 RAF centenary show at Duxford?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Gnat Display Team seems to very much have dropped off the radar, perhaps due to the death of Kev Whyman some years ago?