Time for a new UK military airshow?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Re: Time for a new UK military airshow?

Post by toom317 »

Unknown74 wrote:
Thu 18 Aug 2022, 9:36 pm
It’s really a big shame Lossiemouth is too far away to accomodate a Scottish Airshow.
Too far away from where?. It's a lot closer than RIAT, Suttleworth, Duxford and Cosford for starters. The two I went to were well attended. Or do you mean too far away for folk in central and southern england?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 17 Aug 2022, 4:33 pm
Indeed, and that might be something to be overcome, but without looking at the wording of the actual contracts, I’d be quite surprised if there was anything expressly forbidding display flying (what trainer is prevented from doing aerobatics, which is part of the training syllabus) or weekend work.
There isn't anything expressly forbidding display flying......because it's not needed.
Your missing the point of how these contracts are bid on.
The RAF/MOD write a scope for the contract, and the contract is operated on that basis. From what I understand, the scope did NOT include display flying as part of the contract scope, so it's not something that can be just 'overcome'.

With the miserable current state of the RAF, and in particular its leaders shocking obsession with just about anything other than flying, I can't see there being another RAF At Home, or major RAF hosted airshow anytime in the near future.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Berf wrote:
Fri 19 Aug 2022, 7:06 am
It's clearly difficult for the RAF to capture the imagination of the young to take part and join when it has no imagination of its own at decision level.
^This.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Given the current fuss over diversity in the RAF, get Stonewall to organise it, get a job lot of rainbow stickers, call it the Pride of Britain and the Airships would be bound to buy in to the idea.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

iainpeden wrote:
Sat 20 Aug 2022, 6:08 pm
Given the current fuss over diversity in the RAF, get Stonewall to organise it, get a job lot of rainbow stickers, call it the Pride of Britain and the Airships would be bound to buy in to the idea.
Wiggy the Woke would be all over that idea like a rash.

Orion

Post by Orion »

GeeRam wrote:
Sat 20 Aug 2022, 12:38 pm
Tommy wrote:
Wed 17 Aug 2022, 4:33 pm
Indeed, and that might be something to be overcome, but without looking at the wording of the actual contracts, I’d be quite surprised if there was anything expressly forbidding display flying (what trainer is prevented from doing aerobatics, which is part of the training syllabus) or weekend work.
There isn't anything expressly forbidding display flying......because it's not needed.
Your missing the point of how these contracts are bid on.
The RAF/MOD write a scope for the contract, and the contract is operated on that basis. From what I understand, the scope did NOT include display flying as part of the contract scope, so it's not something that can be just 'overcome'.

With the miserable current state of the RAF, and in particular its leaders shocking obsession with just about anything other than flying, I can't see there being another RAF At Home, or major RAF hosted airshow anytime in the near future.
Yep

Orion

Post by Orion »

It seems to me that if there is to be another military airshow then it will have to be privately sponsored. I don't think that aviation enthusiasts can reasonably expect the taxpayer to stump up the money.
So, who are the likely candidates?

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

I hope first for a return of the Yeovilton Air Day next year - a show that was rapidly on the way up and would be sad to see permanently lost - 2020 was looking set to once again be a superb show.

Hopefully Cosford will return to the strength of 2018 and 2019 in terms of international military participation.

After that, a large Scottish military show is needed (no military shows north of Cosford at present) - Leuchars must be a quiet airfield now, or Ayr needs some strong military support (both from the UK and abroad).

If all this can be achieved, I'd hope to see Culdrose and Waddington return soon after.

As for something completely different, I'd love to see Wallop Wings and Wheels evolve to have an international military helicopter meet, like the old Middle Wallop shows - but perhaps that is too much to ask for at present.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Professor_M wrote:
Mon 22 Aug 2022, 3:44 pm
Hopefully Cosford will return to the strength of 2018 and 2019 in terms of international military participation.
The person responsible for that back then is no longer involved in Cosford.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Why not a Joint Services show at Leuchars? Air Force & Army Static and ground displays along with other ground attractions a flying display and proceeds going to local charities and causes?

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Fri 26 Aug 2022, 6:21 pm
Professor_M wrote:
True, yes - Peter is doing great things at DBH now, but hopefully with time, the new team at Cosford might bring it back to that level that it got to.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Professor_M wrote:
Fri 26 Aug 2022, 6:48 pm
aviodromefriend wrote:
Fri 26 Aug 2022, 6:21 pm
Professor_M wrote:
True, yes - Peter is doing great things at DBH now, but hopefully with time, the new team at Cosford might bring it back to that level that it got to.
Reading the comments about Cosford before Peter got in there, the show at Cosford was poorly received back then. Combining that with the improvement during Mr. Reoch's time there and what was at Fairford this year and was planned during the pandemic years, I would say it is nothing to do with the teams, but with the person P. Reoch.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

Professor_M wrote:

If all this can be achieved, I'd hope to see Culdrose and Waddington return soon after.
Culdrose will never happen again. The variable weather meant that too many shows were write offs and there’s no interest in taking a chance with future events. So I’ve been told.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Hoping that the Reds going to RAF Waddington from scampton raises the possibility of another show being at the base which until the last show in 2014 was great!

The E3D / sentinels have been retired and the runway resurfacing (the official reason for stopping the shows ) all done

The new wedgetail aircraft also going to Lossiemouth so apart from the shadow aircraft not much based at Waddington, especially if the RC135s are still going to RAF Fairford

Maybe the Red Arrows 60th anniversary could be marked with an Airshow at RAF Waddington?

Mike

Post by Mike »

BossMann wrote:
Sat 27 Aug 2022, 7:34 am
…especially if the RC135s are still going to RAF Fairford
They’re not. That plan was cancelled when the decision was made to keep Mildenhall open.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Professor_M wrote:
I hope first for a return of the Yeovilton Air Day next year - a show that was rapidly on the way up and would be sad to see permanently lost - 2020 was looking set to once again be a superb show.

After that, a large Scottish military show is needed (no military shows north of Cosford at present) - Leuchars must be a quiet airfield now, or Ayr needs some strong military support (both from the UK and abroad).

As for something completely different, I'd love to see Wallop Wings and Wheels evolve to have an international military helicopter meet, like the old Middle Wallop shows - but perhaps that is too much to ask for at present.
A little optimistic?

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Andyph wrote:
Sun 28 Aug 2022, 9:49 am
Professor_M wrote:

A little optimistic?
Yes, optimistic, very much, but a long term strategy of what could be done to gradually bring back the british military airshow.