Big red lights near Hawarden

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
TomTwin

Big red lights near Hawarden

Post by TomTwin »

I know landing lights are red on the port side but this seemed to be bigger than a simple navigation light. Was there any military aircraft at Hawarden today at about half 5? Or could it just have been flares? Very peculiar sight.

ppgstf

Re: Big red lights near Hawarden

Post by ppgstf »

UFO alert!

st24

Post by st24 »

TomTwin wrote:I know landing lights are red on the port side but this seemed to be bigger than a simple navigation light. Was there any military aircraft at Hawarden today at about half 5? Or could it just have been flares? Very peculiar sight.

Red lights indicate the port side of an aeroplane, usually on the wing tip. Landing lights are white/no colour. However F-15 rear nav light (one fin only) are very bright red rather than the more usual white. These can be seen for many, many miles even when you can't hear the jet and lets face it that must be a long way 'cos Eagles make a helluva racket! :music: They have been very busy today, must have had 20 movements over here under the Lichfield corridor, in fact theres 2 going home as I type. Maybe Lakenheath's finest are what you saw?
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Craig

Post by Craig »

Did it have a big yellow, and a big green, light underneath, with the red one going out when the green was lit? :grin: :tumbleweed:

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

st24 wrote:
TomTwin wrote:I know landing lights are red on the port side but this seemed to be bigger than a simple navigation light. Was there any military aircraft at Hawarden today at about half 5? Or could it just have been flares? Very peculiar sight.

Red lights indicate the port side of an aeroplane, usually on the wing tip. Landing lights are white/no colour. However F-15 rear nav light (one fin only) are very bright red rather than the more usual white. These can be seen for many, many miles even when you can't hear the jet and lets face it that must be a long way 'cos Eagles make a helluva racket! :music: They have been very busy today, must have had 20 movements over here under the Lichfield corridor, in fact theres 2 going home as I type. Maybe Lakenheath's finest are what you saw?

Have any Eagles been into Wales today though? This light was pretty big, so I am guessing an F-15! Still checking Hawarden's websites to see what they got :lol:

arnie

Post by arnie »

there has been a lot of f15 s going over burton on trent today i think there was some tonkas as well last week there was lots flying about

hydealfred

Post by hydealfred »

I noted two Eagles over the sea Mid Wales this evening between 18.30 & 19.00 at about 20,000'.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Maybe Myfanwy was open for business? It was Valentine's day afterall :love:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:Maybe Myfanwy was open for business? It was Valentine's day afterall

Your fanwy? :wink: ?!

hydealfred wrote:I noted two Eagles over the sea Mid Wales this evening between 18.30 & 19.00 at about 20,000'.

I know theres been a lot of rain in Wales, but really, a sea has formed ? Poor old Newtown, Rhayader, Llanidloes etc all under water.. :yahoo: , sorry, I mean :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Maybe Myfanwy was open for business? It was Valentine's day afterall

Your fanwy? :wink: ?!

Glad somebody was awake :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

satcom

Post by satcom »

Chinese lanterns!

There was a constant stream across the Wirral from the south...on a southerly wind on the evening of the 14th
They started around dusk and continued for a couple of hours.

They are becoming a common source of UFO reports as more and more are released :ninja:

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

satcom wrote:Chinese lanterns!

There was a constant stream across the Wirral from the south...on a southerly wind on the evening of the 14th
They started around dusk and continued for a couple of hours.

They are becoming a common source of UFO reports as more and more are released :ninja:

I can confirm this was not a Chinese Lantern. It was travelling 400 miles an hour and it was a really red colour, same colour as nav lights. So I can confirm it was not a Chinese lantern.

Jorgo

Post by Jorgo »

400 mph Tom? How did you verify that?
www.actionairimages.com

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Jorgo wrote:400 mph Tom? How did you verify that?

Time and distance calculations. He passed near Chester and I started to count, he was near Beeston, 10 miles away about 1 and a half mins later. Times 10 Miles by 60 and you have the speed of around 400mph.

I hope I'm right :lol:

Jorgo

Post by Jorgo »

You must have driven quite fast to be at both locations to confirm. At least... 401 mph :)

Or, it was something a lot smaller or a lot closer, covering the same arc...
www.actionairimages.com

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

I was in it! :lol: Nah I was on croeshowell Hill, near Gresford, which overlooks the two areas in question, so it was easy to see which place he was going to. And calculate the speed :lol:

hydealfred

Post by hydealfred »

st24 wrote:

Your fanwy?

hydealfred wrote:I noted two Eagles over the sea Mid Wales this evening between 18.30 & 19.00 at about 20,000'.

I know theres been a lot of rain in Wales, but really, a sea has formed ? Poor old Newtown, Rhayader, Llanidloes etc all under water.. :yahoo: , sorry, I mean :sad:

:lol: Maybe I should have said "over the sea off Mid Wales" I can can vouch for Welsh rain though the amount of hills I've climbed in it. Is it me or is Welsh rain wetter than other rain.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

hydealfred wrote:
st24 wrote:

Your fanwy?

:lol: Maybe I should have said "over the sea off Mid Wales" I can can vouch for Welsh rain though the amount of hills I've climbed in it. Is it me or is Welsh rain wetter than other rain.

As to quote Lee Evans, the rain in Wales is " That really wet rain." :lol: