Guy Martin Spitfire rebuild

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
keithjs

Guy Martin Spitfire rebuild

Post by keithjs »

Can't find this posted anywhere else so apologies if I've missed it, but I've just been told of this programme on Channel 4 at 7.30 on 12th October.
Should be worth a watch...?

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... e-spitfire
Last edited by keithjs on Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Re: Guy Martin Spitfire rebuild

Post by Pen Pusher »

Of course some of us don't need to watch it cos we was there :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

dale b

Post by dale b »

I've met Guy a few times through my other pastime, Marshalling at Motorcycle races around the UK, and he is a genuinely nice bloke. (Only had to pick him up once!) His last few programmes, Speed, How Britain worked and The Boat That Guy Built were all well filmed and presented. I reckon it will be a "proper job" to steal one of his favourite lines. :smile:

Inthrustwetrust

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

So let me get this right,

Judging by his previous 'entertainment' output, he'll pick up a screwdriver, maybe fasten something, or perhaps put a wheel on, but the spin in the show will be that he's rebuilt the aircraft!

The guy makes me billious, as does Jamie Oliver!

Made for TV tat which won't show the blood sweat and tears that actually goes into aircraft restoration and preservation.
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

sjt

Post by sjt »

Unread postby Inthrustwetrust on Wed 24 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm
So let me get this right,

Judging by his previous 'entertainment' output, he'll pick up a screwdriver, maybe fasten something, or perhaps put a wheel on, but the spin in the show will be that he's rebuilt the aircraft!

The guy makes me billious, as does Jamie Oliver!

Made for TV tat which won't show the blood sweat and tears that actually goes into aircraft restoration and preservation.

Really?! Guy is actually a full time mechanic! He know's what he is talking about! Own's his own Merlin engine aswell apparently. Genuinely nice bloke and as mad as anything. Had a really long chat to him once....about tractors!
BARNEY ARMY! BARNEY ARMY!

Keep Britain Farming

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Inthrustwetrust wrote:Judging by his previous 'entertainment' output, he'll pick up a screwdriver, maybe fasten something, or perhaps put a wheel on, but the spin in the show will be that he's rebuilt the aircraft!

Motorcycle racer and lorry mechanic Guy Martin is a huge Spitfire fan - he joined the restoration team for its two year re-build. In this special film, he celebrates the people behind this famous fighter and its heroic pilots - the factory workers who risked their lives building the aircraft and the mechanics who worked around the clock to repair, reload and refuel the planes and speedily send them back into the skies to defend Britain.

So where does it say that he actually rebuilt the aircraft. It says 'he joined the restoration team for its two year re-build' no where does it say he restored it and as for 'TV tat' the programme is about the daughter of the pilot of that very Spitfire being reunited with the aircraft her father was shot down in.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Inthrustwetrust wrote:Judging by his previous 'entertainment' output, he'll pick up a screwdriver, maybe fasten something, or perhaps put a wheel on, but the spin in the show will be that he's rebuilt the aircraft!

Motorcycle racer and lorry mechanic Guy Martin is a huge Spitfire fan - he joined the restoration team for its two year re-build. In this special film, he celebrates the people behind this famous fighter and its heroic pilots - the factory workers who risked their lives building the aircraft and the mechanics who worked around the clock to repair, reload and refuel the planes and speedily send them back into the skies to defend Britain.

So where does it say that he actually rebuilt the aircraft. It says 'he joined the restoration team for its two year re-build' no where does it say he restored it and as for 'TV tat' the programme is about the daughter of the pilot of that very Spitfire being reunited with the aircraft her father was shot down in.

Brian

Lucky you Brian. Me and the missus are big fans particularly with his TT and Isle of Man connections. His auto biography is worth a read too. :up: Could even liken him to a younger Fred 'did 'ya like that' Dibnah to a certain extent I suppose?
...Rad shutters auto.

Phil T

Post by Phil T »

You know what.... I really disagree with some of the opinions of stuff on here. Only one so far in this thread however, and it's not me.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Wish I'd never bothered now, it was only to let people know the programme was on :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

Andrew45

Post by Andrew45 »

keithjs wrote:Wish I'd never bothered now, it was only to let people know the programme was on :dunno:

I appreciate this! thanks

Andrew

rich1876

Post by rich1876 »

keithjs wrote:Wish I'd never bothered now, it was only to let people know the programme was on :dunno:

I'm glad you did. Should be good viewing

Far too many posts on this site end up in slanging matches, don't take it personally Keith. :smile:

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

rich1876 wrote:

I'm glad you did. Should be good viewing

Far too many posts on this site end up in slanging matches, don't take it personally Keith. :smile:

+1
I'll be watching. Really enjoyed his previous programmes.
I always think he's like Fred Dibnah would have been at his age.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

davski

Post by davski »

Thanks for the heads-up Keith, I'm looking forward to it as well.

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

It's going in my diary too....

Stuart

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Thanks for the heads-up, will definitely be checking that out.

helired3

Post by helired3 »

glad you did thank you
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Nikon 500mm pf
Tamron 150-600 G2

neilesmith

Post by neilesmith »

Some of us appreciate that you did Keith, thanks.
Are you coming quietly or will I need the earplugs?

Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Yes thanks for the heads up.. must say I never really knew much about him before the speed series and he is a very likable bloke

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Thanks for the advance notice. :smile:
Trouble with this and most other `forums` is that the original posting is hijacked by a moronic minority who have nothing better to do in their pathetic lives but slag everybody else`s opinion off.
Why I generally don`t post anything,but some of the comments on here really Pi**** me off. :mad:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Well I for one at least am really looking forward to seeing the programme. I've no preconceived opinions about anyone involved, which is how it should be.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Really enjoyed that
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Very enjoyable!

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Very good program. Thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it did a very good job to show the restoration, history and the emotion of seeing the spitfire fly once again. Though one question that popped into my head during the program was, What happened to the pieces of the wreck that couldn't be used in the restoration?
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

PiedPiper70

Post by PiedPiper70 »

Excellent. Learnt a lot from that, especially how painstaking it was to make a wing. Who knew?

neilesmith

Post by neilesmith »

Very well done I thought as all Guy Martins exploits have been. I can remember seeing John Romain as a lad helping out at Duxford years ago, hasn't he done well. Only thing that I found odd was focusing on the .50 cal machine gun which didn't feature on the Spifire until 1944.
Are you coming quietly or will I need the earplugs?