Queens Jubilee - Flypast

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Birderman

Queens Jubilee - Flypast

Post by Birderman »

Is there a flypast for the queens Jubilee this year ?

If so, any details of dates, timings and route etc. would be appreciated ?

jules48

Re: Queens Jubilee - FLypast

Post by jules48 »

I believe its on Thursday 02nd June at the end of trooping the colour with a RAF flypast but as yet no details as to what is taking part but with so many overseas operations currently do not expect alot.Probably just the Red Arrows if they are back from their overseas training.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Rumour is two special formations, one using T2s , the other Typhoon's. Time will tell.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yes, flypast listed to take place. I had applied for tickets for Trooping the Colour but was unsucessful, so will be on the Mall.

Flypast will close the event.
Her Majesty is then joined by other Members of the Royal Family on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to watch a fly-past by the Royal Air Force. A 41-gun salute is also fired in Green Park to mark the occasion.
https://www.royal.uk/trooping-colour

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I reckon there will be a 70 formation like RAF 100.

They are probably going to avoid too much military muscle given what Russia are probably going to do on May 9th

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

jules48 wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 12:19 pm
I believe its on Thursday 02nd June at the end of trooping the colour with a RAF flypast but as yet no details as to what is taking part but with so many overseas operations currently do not expect alot.Probably just the Red Arrows if they are back from their overseas training.
They will be back as they are at Ragley Hall later in the day

JMC

Post by JMC »

It'd be nice to see something a bit different to the usual RAF offerings. A 70 Typhoon formation although cool to see would be just another repeat of the RAF 100 flypast 4 years ago.

Wonder if the folks down at Lakenheath/Mildenhall would be interested in taking part?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

verreli

Post by verreli »

JMC wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 12:11 pm
Wonder if the folks down at Lakenheath/Mildenhall would be interested in taking part?
I think they have an annual event to celebrate not having the queen as head of state although fireworks rather than flypasts are the preferred method of celebration.

jasonT1981

Re: Queens Jubilee - Flypast

Post by jasonT1981 »

Going by social media photos, the practice consisted of 3 Pumas and 3 Chinooks

JMC

Post by JMC »

verreli wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 6:44 pm
JMC wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 12:11 pm
I think they have an annual event to celebrate not having the queen as head of state although fireworks rather than flypasts are the preferred method of celebration.
You’ve lost me?

verreli

Post by verreli »

JMC wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 7:38 pm
You’ve lost me?
The 4th July celebrates American independence from British rule (the stripes on the US flag represent the 13 colonies that declared independence). Had that not happened, theoretically QEII would be the US head of state rather than Biden. The event on 02 June celebrates QEII's official birthday and this year doubles up as the event marking the 70th anniversary of her becoming head of state. Even though in modern times we are great allies with our American friends, to take part in the flypast would not be without irony. More appropriate would be other nations that share her as their head of state (e.g. Australia, NZ, Canada).

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Can anyone give me some advice ? obviously the flypast is straight down the mall, is there any other good vantage points in London to see it ?

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

lynothehammer wrote:
Thu 05 May 2022, 7:30 am
Can anyone give me some advice ? obviously the flypast is straight down the mall, is there any other good vantage points in London to see it ?
I did Wanstead flats (that's open space not a tower block) in 2018 for the RAF 100 flypast which was pretty good and the helicopters join up further out so you will see them as well.
I put some pics in my flickr album but it was a dull day so pics were not very good but gives an idea of the aspects you will get., here's a link to the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545 ... 3134395710

off topic slightly - FWIW there's a flypast at 11.10ish today over Downing Street for the Japanese PM, 2 Typhoons and a Voyager

HTH
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

JMC

Post by JMC »

Ah yes, Verreli now you’ve said it! Did not latch on to begin with!

As for viewing points, top of St Pauls Cathedral has always been brilliant!

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

andygolfer wrote:
Thu 05 May 2022, 7:45 am
lynothehammer wrote:
Thu 05 May 2022, 7:30 am
I did Wanstead flats (that's open space not a tower block) in 2018 for the RAF 100 flypast which was pretty good and the helicopters join up further out so you will see them as well.
I put some pics in my flickr album but it was a dull day so pics were not very good but gives an idea of the aspects you will get., here's a link to the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545 ... 3134395710

off topic slightly - FWIW there's a flypast at 11.10ish today over Downing Street for the Japanese PM, 2 Typhoons and a Voyager

HTH
Andy
Thanks for that, appreciated.

It's a choice of that or the Millenium Bridge.

verreli

Post by verreli »

JMC wrote:
Thu 05 May 2022, 7:49 am
As for viewing points, top of St Pauls Cathedral has always been brilliant!
I agree and it was my choice for the RAF100 flypast but it's a risk. There isn't much space up top and the queue can be long to get there. The view is great and you have an unrestricted view of their approach and departure although they're still a few hundred feet above you when they pass.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Texans will be in formaion with a Phenom.
Sneak Preview of Platinum Jubilee Fly-past
Platinum Jubilee fever began to kick-in at RAF Valley as 72(F) Squadron spent most of the day preparing to honour Her Majesty in just a few short weeks from now. Several Valley Instructors will have the honour of saluting Her Majesty as they fly down the Mall and over the balcony of Buckingham Palace in their Texan T Mk 1 aircraft; some of which have just been named in honour of Welsh Battle of Britain heroes. The images show four 72(F) Squadron Texans in formation behind a Phenom of 45 Squadron.

72(F)Squadron CO, Wing Commander Chris Ball - who has flown some of the world's most advanced aircraft - such as the F-15 on exchange with the US Air Force and Tornado on several operational deployments in his career, said that he and his instructors see this opportunity to salute our Commander-in-Chief in this manner and on this day, as one of the greatest honours in their Air Force Careers. Let us hope the weather in London on the day as good as it was this afternoon at Valley. The images make it all look easy but it takes lots of practice and experience to get these formations in perfect shape.

verreli

Post by verreli »

This is already better than the early rumours so it looks very much like this will be one of, it not, the best RAF flypasts in recent times. Quite a nice formation too.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

verreli wrote:
Tue 10 May 2022, 7:33 pm
This is already better than the early rumours so it looks very much like this will be one of, it not, the best RAF flypasts in recent times. Quite a nice formation too.
RAF100 will be hard to beat, that was an absolutely incredible day. I stood right at the gates of Buckingham Palace that day, and hope to do the same in a few weeks. I have very high hopes for the flypast being a spectacle.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

verreli wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 9:09 pm
JMC wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 7:38 pm
You’ve lost me?
The 4th July celebrates American independence from British rule (the stripes on the US flag represent the 13 colonies that declared independence). Had that not happened, theoretically QEII would be the US head of state rather than Biden. The event on 02 June celebrates QEII's official birthday and this year doubles up as the event marking the 70th anniversary of her becoming head of state. Even though in modern times we are great allies with our American friends, to take part in the flypast would not be without irony. More appropriate would be other nations that share her as their head of state (e.g. Australia, NZ, Canada).
Going off topic but foreign navies (including USN) have attended coronation / jubilee fleet reviews in the past.

Apart from the luftwaffe have any other foreign airforces ever flown over Buck Palace?

JMC

Post by JMC »

I'm going to say I don't think there has been!

Would love to see some European aircraft take part! Wonder if it's ever been discussed? I remember the US taking part in Bastille day. I can imagine Canada wanting to take part (but that's a big ask just to send an aircraft over for a one day flypast).

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

70 aircraft mentioned in press reports.
Even with large formations mentioned elsewhere of Typhoons and Hawks would have thought 70 takes some doing.?