AmsterDAYUM - Schiphol in May

Photos of commercial airliners
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

AmsterDAYUM - Schiphol in May

Post by Ledhead27 »

So without going into War & Peace, I've recently managed to get a job with Loganair on the ATR42/72 fleet (have a listen to the UKAR podcast to hear me drone on a bit more about that). One thing it did mean however, following some distance based technical ground school at home, was a month in Amsterdam to complete the simulator training. The training centre itself was located on the site of the old Fokker factory, but even better was the location of the hotel (just to the north of the runway 06 threshold). This meant some pretty decent hotel room window spotting (despite the runways in use usually changing about 89 times each day), with the hotel also only a 25 minute cycle from the Polderbaan.

For those that haven't been to Schiphol it is extremely spotter friendly, with the airport viewing deck now open to the public once again following an extended closure due to COVID. In terms of movements, the variety of cargo operators/aircraft alone is a good enough reason to make a visit, with the following photos focussing mostly on the cargo movements.

1) Kicking off with the hotel room sightings.
ImageEtihad Cargo Boeing 777-FFX A6-DDD by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

2) It was certainly refreshing to see a fair few 747s, the aircraft sadly becoming something of a dying breed in the passenger market. Thankfully, the aircraft is soldiering on rather venerably in the cargo market.
ImageACT Airlines Boeing 747-428ERF TC-ACM by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

3) ImageUzbekistan Airways Boeing 767-PER(BCF) UK67001 by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

4) ImageTitan Airways Airbus A330-343P2F G-EODS by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

5) ImageSilk Way West Airlines Boeing 747-83QF VQ-BVB by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

6) Arguably the best looking scheme of the month.
ImageSilk Way West Airlines Boeing 747-467F 4K-BCI by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

7) It wouldn't be a Ledhead27 post without a Q400. I'll always have a soft spot for these things
ImageFlybe Bombardier Dash 8-Q402 G-ECOE by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

8)
ImageChina Southern Airlines Airbus A330-343 B-8362 by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

9)
ImageAvianca Cargo Airbus A330-243F N335QT by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

10)
ImageDHL (European Air Transport) Airbus A300B4-622RF D-AEAD by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

11)
ImageKalitta Air Boeing 747-4H6(BCF) N740CK by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

12)
ImageMASkargo Airbus A330-223F 9M-MUD by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

13)
ImageSaudi Arabian Airlines Cargo (Air Atlanta Icelandic) Boeing 747-45E(BDSF) TF-AMA by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

14) Something, something, fast food/aeroplane
ImageKalitta Air Boeing 747-446BCF N743CK by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

15)
ImageKLM Cargo (Martinair Holland) Boeing 747-406ERF PH-CKA by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

16) Being the early part of summer, there were certain days that the heat haze was a pain in the arse and the light was extremely harsh. From the hotel the light only really came good from about 4pm onwards
ImageChina Cargo Airlines Boeing 777-F6N B-220F by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

17) It was only a fleeting visit to the spotters deck, as the much publicised security queues actually meant that it had to close due to the terminal almost reaching capacity.
ImageKLM Royal Dutch Airlines Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner PH-BHO by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

18) Onto the Polderbaan. Unless you've actually been there no photo or video can truly do the place justice for how close the aircraft are. And because it's The Netherlands, there's canals rather than fences.
ImageChina Cargo Airlines Boeing 777-F6N B-2079 by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

19)
ImageMartinair Cargo Boeing 747-412(BCF) PH-MPS by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

20)
ImageKLM Royal Dutch Airlines Embraer E190-400STD (E195-E2) PH-NXH by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr

21)
ImageIcelandair Boeing 757-308 TF-FIX by ledwooddaniel, on Flickr
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Draken

Re: AmsterDAYUM - Schipol in May

Post by Draken »

Good stuff! AMS always delivers. I resally like cargo heavies, especially 747s.
A couple of weeeks ago I spent whole weekend spotting @LHR - not a single 747 in daylight! (there was 1 I guess after sunset).
Looks like I need an AMS visit to get some of them!
Thanks for sharing!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

One of the best airports in Europe for spotting and photography, so relaxed, open and friendly to the aviation community.

Lots of airports in the UK and overseas could learn from Schiphol's approach to security, but never will.

The photos are very nice too of course!

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Nice to see pictures from my local airport, one thing it is spelt Schiphol,and it is 04 not 05, :grinning:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

An excellent selection of images, Daniel. EHAM is on my list to visit one day. Thanks for sharing and best wishes for your transition to the ATR series of airliners.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Re: AmsterDAYUM - Schiphol in May

Post by toom317 »

I'm not into the civvy stuff that much, but that is a kick arse selection of photos. Wish Edinburgh was like that.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Looks like a fantastic place to go and super photos, will have to add that to the list when i eventually get some money together and renew my passport... :D

coanda

Post by coanda »

awesome!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Are you able to say which hotel and room numbers spotters should ask for. You say photos were from the room, do the windows open are they through glass ?

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! Whilst I probably wouldn't recommend going to Schiphol currently, due to the frankly hideous security queues, it's definitely worth a visit for a couple of days

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 4:56 pm
Are you able to say which hotel and room numbers spotters should ask for. You say photos were from the room, do the windows open are they through glass ?
I stayed in the Bastion Hotel, which was fine but by no means the best hotel I've stayed in (the smell of people smoking in their rooms quite quickly became a bit irritating). However, if you ask for an odd numbered room you'll get the runway views. The hotel also offers a free shuttle bus service to the airport every 30 minutes, with the bus stop right outside Schiphol Plaza (from here you can take either buses or trains to essentially anywhere in The Netherlands).
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Those 747s are just divine!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016