FIA 2022

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
reidms88

Re: FIA 2022

Post by reidms88 »

These new rules regarding flying displays at Farnborough really don't make much sense.

The Black Eagles spent all last week practicing at 20min formation display over Farnborough and yet 4 days later, they are only allowed to do a single fly past for the actual airshow. How does that make any sense?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

reidms88 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 2:21 pm
These new rules regarding flying displays at Farnborough really don't make much sense.

The Black Eagles spent all last week practicing at 20min formation display over Farnborough and yet 4 days later, they are only allowed to do a single fly past for the actual airshow. How does that make any sense?
Since Shoreham, nothing in the airshow world makes any sense anymore...
...Rad shutters auto.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

reidms88 wrote:

Do you know the reason for them not displaying then ? not seen anything anywhere.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

I have to be honest as much as it's a watered down affair now i really enjoyed a couple of hours out watching the display yesterday afternoon.

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

reidms88 wrote:

I actually feel sorry for the Black Eagles. They've come half way across the world for a European tour and only managed to properly display at RIAT, with only flypasts at the 2 or 3 other smaller events that they've probably never heard of. Years ago they'd have large proper shows galore to choose from. I hope their stop at Polands (Deblin?) show on their way back is worth it too.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Nice customer flight or something from the KC390 yesterday evening, good views from home and my first flight shots of it.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

lynothehammer wrote:
Tue 19 Jul 2022, 8:26 am
reidms88 wrote:

Do you know the reason for them not displaying then ? not seen anything anywhere.
Im wondering if they didnt actually Validate!

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

reidms88 wrote:

I understand the 'display' at Farnborough was a validation for the displays subsequently performed at Fairford. The validation was on an imaginary display line extending out over Laffan's Plain, which met the CAA requirements, but would not be suitable for a 'proper' Farnborough display.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Went to the show yesterday. Wasn't going to bother to go in but I missed 80% of the arrivals due to being in hospital. In general it was lacklustre, and that was not just due to the heat. The Italian area had 2 aircraft and 2 helis, normally trebble that, Textron just 2 Bell's, no Beech or Cessna. There was nothing from Pilatus, BAE, Diamond or BN, and Bombardier also left a massive gap. The layout of the static was, as normal, awful. They seem to have lost any pretense of letting people close to the aircraft now the public days have gone. It felt like a exhibition that just happened to have some aircraft parked outside.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:13 am
Went to the show yesterday. Wasn't going to bother to go in but I missed 80% of the arrivals due to being in hospital. In general it was lacklustre, and that was not just due to the heat. The Italian area had 2 aircraft and 2 helis, normally trebble that, Textron just 2 Bell's, no Beech or Cessna. There was nothing from Pilatus, BAE, Diamond or BN, and Bombardier also left a massive gap. The layout of the static was, as normal, awful. They seem to have lost any pretense of letting people close to the aircraft now the public days have gone. It felt like a exhibition that just happened to have some aircraft parked outside.
I have to concur I'm afraid. 'Fings certainly aint what they used to be. :slight_frown: I haven't been since 2016 so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt this year and as Bob said it was really poor and shame to see it as shadow of its former self. Static layout was atrocious with masses of metal fencing everywhere and unless you'd been 'specially invited' you weren't allowed in anything (or even very near in some cases)
I know its not really aimed at us 'enthusiasts' but come on show a bit of imagination.
After doing my best in the static I spent most of the day photographing the visiting biz jets and the measly 90 minutes of flying although I even left after the 777. Now that was impressive.
Rumours abound that 2024 will be the last 'as we know it.
...Rad shutters auto.

EGLL

Post by EGLL »

A good job a couple of aircraft were open to visits. Handy for when it clouded over on Monday!

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Just a heads up to anyone in the area, the USAF F15 & F35A due to depart tomorrow (Friday) evening after 17:00 local (precise time depends on other departing traffic etc.)
Sadly I won't be still around at the airfield at that time!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Went to Paris Airshow once, didn’t think much of it, The Aircraft on view were pretty good but didn’t think much of the show itself, always regret never getting to Farnborough when there was a show worth going to!

frank

Post by frank »

Adie1980 wrote:
Thu 21 Jul 2022, 1:10 pm
Just a heads up to anyone in the area, the USAF F15 & F35A due to depart tomorrow (Friday) evening after 17:00 local (precise time depends on other departing traffic etc.)
Sadly I won't be still around at the airfield at that time!
Is there anything remaining after this evenings departures.
TIA

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Looks like the KC-390 is still present, active on the ground so not sure for how much longer.

Veloman

Post by Veloman »

Has been showing as active for most of the week. Gone now, on way to Lisbon.

Was there an actual flying display today? Reds looked like a no show and didn’t see the Black Eagles flying in the vicinity.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Veloman wrote:
Fri 22 Jul 2022, 10:41 pm
Has been showing as active for most of the week. Gone now, on way to Lisbon.

Was there an actual flying display today? Reds looked like a no show and didn’t see the Black Eagles flying in the vicinity.
Yup a very watered down affair, like many have said a shadow of what it use to be.

The Black Eagles flypast was not long after 3pm.

Veloman

Post by Veloman »

Cheers. Am only down the road so missed them. I see the Reds were grounded yesterday over an ejector seat issue so that explains it.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Just over a month on from this show, my thoughts on the Friday:
- Static display was a lot smaller - no cargo village/ historic aircraft static display at the Western end of the airfield made the showground feel a lot smaller compared to previous years.
+ Strong support from TAI, doubling the number of aircraft and mock-ups on display from 2018 - it was good to see the Hurkus - a bit more exotic than any equivalent Pilatus types or the like.
- US DoD wasn't opened up - in past years they would let you in to their fenced area to climb aboard some of the aircraft - that seems to be a thing of the past.
+ Good to see the USAF jets departing after the flying (even if it did test the patience of what felt like the entire show ground waiting to see them depart).
- Only 1 airliner display on Friday - given the 737 MAX 10 was still at the show, it would have been good to have that display too.
+ Ticket prices weren't as extortionate as in past years.

All in all, it was a good chance to see some aeroplanes that you otherwise wouldn't see in the UK (M345 case in point).

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Professor_M wrote:
Fri 26 Aug 2022, 9:02 pm
Just over a month on from this show, my thoughts on the Friday:
- Static display was a lot smaller - no cargo village/ historic aircraft static display at the Western end of the airfield made the showground feel a lot smaller compared to previous years.
+ Strong support from TAI, doubling the number of aircraft and mock-ups on display from 2018 - it was good to see the Hurkus - a bit more exotic than any equivalent Pilatus types or the like.
- US DoD wasn't opened up - in past years they would let you in to their fenced area to climb aboard some of the aircraft - that seems to be a thing of the past.
+ Good to see the USAF jets departing after the flying (even if it did test the patience of what felt like the entire show ground waiting to see them depart).
- Only 1 airliner display on Friday - given the 737 MAX 10 was still at the show, it would have been good to have that display too.
+ Ticket prices weren't as extortionate as in past years.

All in all, it was a good chance to see some aeroplanes that you otherwise wouldn't see in the UK (M345 case in point).
Just a quick one, I had a meeting with them a few years back now and asked the question why the larger aircraft never displayed on the public days and they told me basically the company say which days they'll display what and FIA don't have a say in it.

But agree with everything you said, the halls being opened up was cool too as it gave me a chance to get the little ones to experience what i did of filling up bags of absolute crap that we'll never use although the large array of pens certainly came in handy. :)

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

lynothehammer wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 9:07 am
But agree with everything you said, the halls being opened up was cool too as it gave me a chance to get the little ones to experience what i did of filling up bags of absolute crap that we'll never use although the large array of pens certainly came in handy. :)
There were, as I had expected, a lot of freebies around - TAI and Kawasaki being the best, I started talking to one of the chaps on the TAI stand about the aircraft they had brought along and once we had finished, he asked if I wanted any freebies before filling up a carrier bag with pens, remove before flight tags and foam 3D model kits - completely random but nice-to-have souvenirs.

And yes, the pens will come in handy - the USB fans and paper ones were somewhat redundant come Friday, sitting in the rain eating some very damp sandwiches at the start of the flying.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Professor_M wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 9:21 am
lynothehammer wrote:
There were, as I had expected, a lot of freebies around - TAI and Kawasaki being the best, I started talking to one of the chaps on the TAI stand about the aircraft they had brought along and once we had finished, he asked if I wanted any freebies before filling up a carrier bag with pens, remove before flight tags and foam 3D model kits - completely random but nice-to-have souvenirs.

And yes, the pens will come in handy - the USB fans and paper ones were somewhat redundant come Friday, sitting in the rain eating some very damp sandwiches at the start of the flying.
Oh i missed the Kawasaki stand what were they doshing out ? :D

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

lynothehammer wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 6:47 pm
Professor_M wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 9:21 am
lynothehammer wrote:

Oh i missed the Kawasaki stand what were they doshing out ? :D
Aside from the usual brochures and pens, they had traditional Japanese style fans and C-2 remove before flight tags (the latter I personally found quite fitting having climbed aboard the C-2 at Fairford the weekend beforehand).