Vulcan XH558 to leave Doncaster, possible ferry flight

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Brevet Cable

Re: Vulcan XH558 to leave Doncaster, possible ferry flight

Post by Brevet Cable »

Orion wrote:...and the other is the suitable location as most, if not all of them, already have a Vulcan.
Psst........

Saint Athan !!
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

106500 wrote:I really don’t understand what folk have against organisations who pay their staff to do a job. I read time and again in the media outraged protests against set ups such as the National Trust and RSPCA because they pay their CEOs, CFOs etc a significant salary. I don’t think that 558 would have ever achieved the enormous success and fame it did without having properly rewarded administrators and engineers with the right talent and skillset. The old adage “You get what you pay for” has much relevance and despite the set backs they have experienced, I for one still have faith that VTST is the team best placed to secure the aircraft’s future.
All well & good ( if you ignore the various failures on their part & the misdeeds of certain aircrew ) until she stopped flying & became just another lawn ornament, at which time they should have streamlined a heck of a lot more than what they did.
And if you look back at the various 'last chance' appeals, how many times were they ultimately bailed out by a small number of philanthropists chucking them a lifeline?
아직도 숨어있다

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

106500 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm
It has managed 7 pages of chatter because XH558 is like no other Vulcan.
No, its reached 7 pages of chatter because people keep posting the same ill informed opinions and other kinds of nonsense that got the previous XH558 thread binned. If you pruned this one back to just the useful contributions from persons who know what they are actually talking about and got rid of the comments from persons who obviously can't be bothered to browse the previous posts, we'd still be on page 2.
Orion wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 2:03 pm
Elvington might do, but then would the VTTS be welcome?
As if to prove the above, here's a case in point. The Elvington scenario was dealt with a few pages back but it's still being mooted on page 7.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 3:06 pm
Orion wrote:...and the other is the suitable location as most, if not all of them, already have a Vulcan.
Psst........

Saint Athan !!
I know you're being silly (at least I assume you are!) but *if* a ferry flight ever happened (which it won't) then it surely would only be allowed to be a short hop somewhere anyway.

What about an RAF base having it as a gate guard - Connigsby, Scampton, Waddington?

Or drag it to the edge of the airfield near a lay-by, stick a fence round it and have someone open a roadside cafe so spotters can get a coffee while they photograph it gradually falling apart.

I stand by my thought that just because it was the last one to fly does not make it particularly special.

There are multiple VC-10s rotting all over the country for example, TriStars turning to rust buckets. Can someone explain why '558 is so important - beyond the fact that it flew more recently and has had silly amounts of money chucked at it already?

I loved seeing it fly, but then I also loved seeing VC-10s flying, RAF Harriers, Jaguars, Tornados... the list of aircraft that it's a *shame* weren't saved could be very long, but do any of them warrant the crazy £££ that it would take to do that? I'm not sure they do, '558 included.

If it had flown the Blackbuck raids then at least it would have some tangible history behind it.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 4:48 pm
TriStars turning to rust buckets.
Where are those hiding? They're probably already buckets!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Post by 106500 »

tache3 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 4:34 pm
106500 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm
It has managed 7 pages of chatter because XH558 is like no other Vulcan.
No, its reached 7 pages of chatter because people keep posting the same ill informed opinions and other kinds of nonsense that got the previous XH558 thread binned. If you pruned this one back to just the useful contributions from persons who know what they are actually talking about and got rid of the comments from persons who obviously can't be bothered to browse the previous posts, we'd still be on page 2.
Orion wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 2:03 pm
Elvington might do, but then would the VTTS be welcome?
As if to prove the above, here's a case in point. The Elvington scenario was dealt with a few pages back but it's still being mooted on page 7.
I disagree, I believe this thread continues because it’s provoked some interesting discussion; not everyone participating in the debate is an aviation expert and the debate has all been in a good spirit. There’s been no tittle tattle or nastiness.

Post by 106500 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 3:06 pm
Psst........

Saint Athan !!
To me Kemble would be a great choice. Tell you what, we need one of those clever choice preference voting buttons with a selection of possible locations - see what folk think. Dunno how to set one up so we need a volunteer!

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

106500 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 5:32 pm
To me Kemble would be a great choice. Tell you what, we need one of those clever choice preference voting buttons with a selection of possible locations - see what folk think. Dunno how to set one up so we need a volunteer!
viewtopic.php?t=87987

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

CJS wrote: I know you're being silly (at least I assume you are!) but *if* a ferry flight ever happened (which it won't) then it surely would only be allowed to be a short hop somewhere anyway.
I should have explained it better....it was more aimed at where it should go if it was transported by road.
What about an RAF base having it as a gate guard - Connigsby, Scampton, Waddington?
St Athan! :smiley:
Sensible reason....it's a former RAF base with a long connection to Vulcans ( and Victors ) and it's far enough away from every other location which already has a Vulcan.
If it had flown the Blackbuck raids then at least it would have some tangible history behind it.
I stand to be corrected, but...First Vulcan B.2 in RAF service, last Vulcan in RAF service, one of only a handful converted to MRR, one of only a handful converted to K.2 tanker & one of only 2 ( XL426 being the first ) which were VDF.
Does that count as history? :wink:
아직도 숨어있다

Post by 106500 »

Not quite what I had in mind!

Amp

Post by Amp »

Fill it with helium and float it out.....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

tache3 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 5:59 pm
106500 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 5:32 pm
viewtopic.php?t=87987
I voted for Mordor where it would melt obviously, and the vote was counted. Now, after its locked, its vanished. I'm complaining that the voting was rigged from the outset. Nothing is ever straight where 558 is concerned! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :skull_crossbones: :nauseated_face: :lying_face:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

CJS wrote:
Err.....Waddington, seriously?

Scampton would have been a logical choice, had the base not going to be sold off in a few months time of course.

It will end up a a gate guard at Finningley... :wink:

CJS

Post by CJS »

GeeRam wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 7:20 pm
CJS wrote:
Err.....Waddington, seriously?

Scampton would have been a logical choice, had the base not going to be sold off in a few months time of course.

It will end up a a gate guard at Finningley... :wink:
The back gate perhaps.

I don't know which RAF base it would be most suited to, just listing a few within a fantasy ferry flight range.

BC good point, if it was going to be hacked up to go by road it could go anywhere I guess.

And I concede that your list does indeed count as history, yes. 🤣

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

1 question then a bit of blurb as to why i think that....

question......Does the VTTS wind up when it is clear 558 has no future with them in 8-9 months time and the buckets stop filling?

Now, hear me out here as i shall explain my reasoning behind this huge statement........

558 will go, 1 way or another, to Elvington. yup, said it, Elvington.

You see, Once it was announced that the debacle would finish, they distanced themselves from the argument about its' new home. What better way than to do this and deflect attention away from them while they carry out their thoughts and potential pulling power of 558 on the runway?

This deflection is clever, as everything goes quiet regarding the Big 'E' and they can draw their plans against us ..... oh sorry, i went all Richard Burton there.
So ask yourself..... what does Elvington have that others without a vulcan have, within 'sensible' transit ....either by air or road, from the sewage works? 'Sensible' has to be cost effective as well as comparitively easy to, accomplish and bring something to the Elvington 'Party'.
It has an established and fantastic museum with a good band of great guys and gals. It has a runway to run on if needs be, it could even have hangar space if funds allow......and......

For that i give you 2 working V bombers.

Nowhere else will have it as the distance to drag or fly it is huge to St. Athan, or Cornwall, so where else? North of the border....ditto,
Where in the south could hold it where they havn't got one and have the space for it? We know Brunty is out, Kemble could but i fear that is too far as well, and not as established as it needs to be, yet. Scampton? nah, soon to be 2000 houses..... you start looking at it like that and you realise there isn't many places large enough to take it.......... except........... Elvington!

Cue a mail here tomorrow categorically defying my twisted logic. lol
Got to love Russianhardware

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

It's not going to elvington. Although Martin is one of the trustees.

Logic dictates elvington but since when has logic ever been the vtst's strong point.

Room is the problem there, already they're getting a Shackleton, so less room on the museums ground.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

CJS

Post by CJS »

AndyXH558 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 9:24 pm
It's not going to elvington. Although Martin is one of the trustees.

Logic dictates elvington but since when has logic ever been the vtst's strong point.

Room is the problem there, already they're getting a Shackleton, so less room on the museums ground.
I would argue that room is one of the more easily overcome problems they have. It's big, but not so big that if you really wanted to, most airfields could find space for a Vulcan.

The bigger problems are a) does anywhere actually want it and b) getting it there if they do.

Oh and c) all the other 'issues' that would arrive with the airframe itself.

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Elvington would seem the most logical to me. There appears to be space for another hangar if needs be.

Seems odd just how quick out the blocks YAM were with their statement. I find it hard to believe that having the aircraft there doesn't appeal... so you assume there must be some issue with VTTS.

Whatever the truth is though, I hope the aircraft can be saved and accessible.

But, unless there's actually a way to get 558 to an alternative home with a future as a live aircraft (which feels desperately unlikely) I fail to see any need for VTTS beyond getting the aircraft out of Doncaster and to a museum. Any live spares should then be donated to the remaining runners.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think it was mentioned before but Manchester airport would be ideal. It would be a major draw at the RVP. There's plenty of room and there are people to look after it.

Post by 106500 »

Would anyone like to try another poll (sensible one this time - well done mods for locking the last one)? I think the scope is more realistically a location whereby the aircraft could be dismantled and moved by road - either to become operational or a non working museum piece? Probably need around 8-10 choices. Just a bit of fun.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

DerekF wrote:
Wed 31 Aug 2022, 8:15 am
I think it was mentioned before but Manchester airport would be ideal. It would be a major draw at the RVP. There's plenty of room and there are people to look after it.
Derek there was a rumour flying around, here or fighter control or at Fairford (senior moment) the Manchester are trying to downsize the viewing area so might not be possible.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I volunteer there and haven't heard anything about downsizing. The reverse if anything. It's still a major attraction locally judging by the attendance on Monday.
Sadly the major driving force behind the aircraft acquisitions, Peter Hampson, died earlier this year but there are many who want to continue his work.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks, Derek. Good to know the news is more positive than I had heard.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 9:19 pm
1 question then a bit of blurb as to why i think that....

question......Does the VTTS wind up when it is clear 558 has no future with them in 8-9 months time and the buckets stop filling?

Now, hear me out here as i shall explain my reasoning behind this huge statement........

558 will go, 1 way or another, to Elvington. yup, said it, Elvington.

You see, Once it was announced that the debacle would finish, they distanced themselves from the argument about its' new home. What better way than to do this and deflect attention away from them while they carry out their thoughts and potential pulling power of 558 on the runway?

This deflection is clever, as everything goes quiet regarding the Big 'E' and they can draw their plans against us ..... oh sorry, i went all Richard Burton there.
So ask yourself..... what does Elvington have that others without a vulcan have, within 'sensible' transit ....either by air or road, from the sewage works? 'Sensible' has to be cost effective as well as comparitively easy to, accomplish and bring something to the Elvington 'Party'.
It has an established and fantastic museum with a good band of great guys and gals. It has a runway to run on if needs be, it could even have hangar space if funds allow......and......

For that i give you 2 working V bombers.
It would only be two working V-Bombers if by some monsterous miracle, CAA said yes to a ferry flight (which we all know is almost certainly not going to happen)
If it gets moved by road, it won't ever be a 'live' aircraft again.
Elvington is the logical choice, even if it is no longer a live airframe, but I suspect, that could only happen, if as you say, VTTS was wound up with transfer of the a/c to the museum. I think VTTS will be the stumbling block with any move to anywhere tbh.
If the aircraft is moved by road and no longer live, then really there is no need for VTTS to exist anymore as anything more than a volunteer group.
I'm sure the head sheds at VTTS don't see it that way though.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

We keep saying that the VTTS has the final say, but does the Lottery fund have any say in all this. I don't follow 558 to much but I'm sure someone said that the Lottery fund still have a charge on 558.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens