Arab Air power.Trumpeter1/48 SU-24 Finished

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
Fumbles

Arab Air power.Trumpeter1/48 SU-24 Finished

Post by Fumbles »

Finally back home from the trip to RIAT. I can now start on the first kit for the Arab group build. During this build. I will also be starting Eduard's 1/48 SU-22 and for the WWI build I'll be starting Hobbycraft's 1/32 Billy Bishop Nieuport 17.
All three kits should keep me busy for the next 4 and a bit months.
Here is the kit that starts first. Trumpeter's 1/48 SU-24. I'll be using a mix of Eduard photo etch and an Aires Cockpit. The decals are Begemont with Algerian markings. Just for noe. I have pictures of what I'll be working with. I'll be starting it literally just after I post this. :)
Photo Etch and the decals
Aires Cockpit set.
The box shot.
Inside the box.. I'll get some more shots of the plastic as I pull it out.
Thats it for now.. If all goes well. I'll have an update tonight.
Till then. Thanks for looking.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Arab Air power.. Trumpeter 1/48 SU-24 Just box and such

Post by Deacon »

Really looking forward to this mate. :yahoo:

Alan

Jamesv9820

Re: Arab Air power.. Trumpeter 1/48 SU-24 Just box and such

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Bring it on Rod!

Looking forward to this one!

Fumbles

Re: Arab Air power.. Trumpeter 1/48 SU-24 cockpit started.

Post by Fumbles »

Alrighty then. The Su-24 is now started. Not allot of progress so far. Once the cockpit is done the rest of the kit should go together rather fast.

First shot is of the Aires cockpit and the Trumpeter box cockpit on the left.

This is the Aires seat and one of the Trumpeter's seats.

Next up before the sanding away of details. The Trumpeter sidewalls and the Ares sidewalls.

Sidewalls sanded away here.

Dry fit of the cockpit tub to the kit. Maybe just a little more sanding to go. I blended paint to match Eduard's "Bluegrey".

Where I am tonight. I'll get some headway later this week.
The cockpit Instrument panel. Mix of Areis and Eduard. I still have to paint the monitors.

Thanks for looking. I'll get an update in very soon.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Oh yes Mr Fumble sir, very nice and tidy. :clap:
Alan

Craig

Post by Craig »

Now that does look superb! Great start! :rock:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Ok sorry for a long gao in this one... Since returning from the UK. Work has had me doing way more hours then what I really wanted. But I have been working in this kit. I just have not had any time to upload the pictures till now.

Thanks for the interest and the comments sofar. The kit is starting to come together. Typical Trumpeter though. I did have a few gap issues near the tail end of the fuselage. On with the pictures of where I am with the build.

The cocpit installed. I had no fit issues at all with the Aires cockpit. I used a little Eduard PE and 90% of the Aires set. I have yet to add the seats. I added some wash to dirty it up. The flash picked up more dirt then what the eye can actually see.

A little photo Etch added to the very boring engines

The last three are from a few days ago. This one a dry fit to see if any gaps.

I'm actually past this now. I have now done my seam check and primer has been added. While watching todays closing Olympics. I'll start adding the outside photo Etch Canopy and Masks plus start some pre-shade. I'll get some shots up tonight.

scotthldr

Re: Arab Air power.. Trumpeter 1/48 SU-24 WIP updated 12/08/

Post by scotthldr »

Coming along nicely, looks a biggy?

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Wow Fumbles you're highly honoured.

8 build threads for the Arab Air Power GB and your are 1 of 2 who have had a post from the GB Host! It must be a scale thing.:whistle: :grin:

Any update mate on this?

Alan

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

I'm here looking and waiting, but I can hardly comment if there is nothing to comment on, the whole modelling section seems to have grind to a halt :dunno:

I've commented on both your Mig21(even give you the paint codes for it) and Mig15 projects and one of the Fury ones along with Jame's Mig and this one.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

scotthldr wrote:I've commented on both your Mig21(even give you the paint codes for it) and Mig15 projects and one of the Fury ones along with Jame's Mig and this one.

My bad mate. :hide: Having a bad day. :wall:

Alan

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Sorry Mig29, but I did look :lol:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Hey now... I know it has been quiet here. I again apologise. Since returning from my trip to the UK. I have been working 6 days a week. Boooo! So I have been a little slower then I wanted on this build. But! Starting after the Labour Day long weekend. I should be back to 5 days per week for work.

So to answer Scott's question. Yeap this one is a big one. For 1/48 scale. The SU-24 is almost as big as my 1/32 F-18.

Just for comparison. Here is the kit the other day with my Greek 1/48 Phantom.

Next up for people that don't have a 1/48 RF-4 here is the SU-24 next to a 1/48 Bucc

A couple of days ago. I was at this stage.All of the photo-etch now in place. Just a bottom shot.

Finally a shot of a primer coat. This was a last seam check.

The last of a few spots filled and sanded.

Now where I am today. All filled and sanded. First spraying of the pre-shade.

Now this is where I need a little help again. I have the Begemot decal sheet for this kit. I have run into a problem of paint codes. I am having a hard time even finding paint close to the FS numbers that are provided.

I have to find three paint codes for this kit to be marked in Algerian colours.

They are.... FS25526
FS20118
FS20099

These are just odd FS numbers. I found a Model Colour for FS25526. Apparently to the colour chart Model colour/Vallejo to FS25526 is #108 bottle number 70973 light sea grey. It's close for the Light blue grey but not close enough.

For the other two colours of Flat dark earth and Flat light brown. I think I have used those for the desert Bucc I did with Tamyia colours. Please have a look at the pic below and let me know what you all think in terms to colour matching to FS 20118 Flat Dark Earth and FS 20099 Flat light Brown. On the bucc I used Tamyia XF-52 Flat Earth and Model Master Acrylics 33531 Sand.

If any of you know what the closest Tamyia/Model Master/Model Colour/Vallejo match is to the three FS Numbers above. Please let me know. I now have the radome painted and the rest of the pre-shade done. I just need to get the colour codes correct to move on from here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

scotthldr

Re: Arab Air power.Trumpeter1/48 SU-24 WIP Help needed with

Post by scotthldr »

Coming along nicely Rod , as for the colours,

20118 is Satin Earth, it is available in Matt form from Xtracryllic as 1002, Model Master as 4708 or 4846, Vallejo Model Air 29 and Tamiya XF52

25526 is Satin Light Blue and is available in Matt form from Tamiya as XF23 or Xrtacryllic as 1202,

20099 is Satin Earth Brown and is available in Matt form from Xtracryllic as 1807,

However there appears to be at least two variations on the colours used and the colours above are more in line with the darker of the two below.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg7/scal ... es=landing
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/325 ... 537b3a.jpg

Fumbles

Re: Arab Air power.Trumpeter1/48 SU-24 WIP Updated. Thanks S

Post by Fumbles »

Thank you Scott for the help on the FS numbers and with a couple of quick links to the two pictures. Between your help with the numbers and the two pictures I was able to match the colours perfectly. I'm not trying to pat myselft on the back on this one. But Damn! I think I did good! Again thanks to Scott for most of the help.

The colours as they turned out for the Algerian light colour camo are... Tamyia XF-60 Dark Yellow and Model Master Acrylics 4720/FS33531 Sand. For the blue I used Model Master "enamel" Flanker Medium Blue.

I was at this stage the other day. I would have posted a update then. But there was that little issue with photobucket.

Now I hope that the person that has rights to the original photo on the left does not mind. But I took a screen shot of the real SU-24 and my SU-24 and put them side by side. Here is my pat on the back. :grin:

Next up this week. I'll spray the rest of the white fix up the camo lines a little and then spray the clear coat and let that sit for a few days while I work on the seats. Then it is decal time. :yahoo: Not much dirt to add to this one. Algeria seems to keep their aircraft pretty clean.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Glad to help Rod. Well what can I say :clap: Looks as you got the colours spot on, looking superb so far.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

That does look the business Rod. :clap: :clap:

Alan

Logster

Post by Logster »

Looking brilliant. Can't wait to see the decals on and it all finished :clap:

matt

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

Watching this with interest, Rod.
Looking superb.
You are absolutely bang on with those colours.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Many thanks for the interest and the comments.. Geez now if I can just get back into full time building again. I ended up as usual working and working and then I came down with the worst cold I have had in years. I'll admit. I lost a bit of the modeling mojo as well. Seems there is alot of that going around this time. But I'm back into full swing. I have to get a few kits on the go. Christmas is coming up and I already got a list of new kits. :lol:

Anyways just two shots for now. I got most of the decals on. With the Algerians there is not alot of markings thankfully... I just about lost it when the upper wing decal melted further then I wanted with the micro sol.. Sadly I did lose a bit of the decal. Go figure right on top! Ahh well.

On with the pictures.

I should have this one done with a semi gloss coat on top and a gloss for the bottom by next Saturday.

Thanks again

Jamesv9820

Re: Arab Air power.Trumpeter1/48 SU-24 WIP Updated.14/10/201

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Looks awesome Rod - just remember to matt it down all over one the decals are completed

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Looking great Rod. :clap: :clap:

Can't wait for the next update.

Alan

Prime77

Post by Prime77 »

Superb workmanship. :clap:

Looking forward to the finished article.

Did you use aftermarket for the flaps and slats?
Cheers,
Matt

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Many thanks again for the comments. I'm working away on the seats since it is the weekend. I should have this done by Sunday night. It took longer then I wanted.

Jamesv9820 wrote:Looks awesome Rod - just remember to matt it down all over one the decals are completed

Are you sure about a matt coat all over including the blue undersides? All the pictures I have seen have a matt topside,radome and a semi-gloss blue. I could be mistaken though. I wait on the verdict from you and a couple of others before I spray it though.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Prime77 wrote:Superb workmanship. :clap:

Looking forward to the finished article.

Did you use aftermarket for the flaps and slats?

Thanks... The flaps and slats are from the kit. Trumpter may have done a few things wrong with this kit. But the added extras like the flaps and slats make up for them.