Re: Revell GB - 1/48 F-5F ,,Aggressor'' - Complete

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Well, after much deliberation and "should I, shouldn't I" I have decided to dive into this Revell GB!

As mentioned in the GB thread, I will be building the 1/48 F-5F Aggressor. I am looking at completing the build in the colours of VFC-111 Sundowners as per the kit instructions and box.
As with all of my models, I will be building it out of the box with no modifications or aftermarket additions. I tend to build all my models that way and this will be no different. I envisage doing this using the tried and tested hairy-stick method, I do have a very basic airbrush that uses aerosol cans, but very very little experience with it to date.

A couple of the obligatory box/sprue photos:
IMG_5146 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5147 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

On first inspection the kit looks OK to me - I am never really critical of kits, purely down to my skill level etc, but then it's more down to not really being able to spot (minor) flaws in kits...
It does have those dreaded :hide: raised :hide: panel lines (although I don't have a huge issue with that and I certainly won't be doing any rescribing!) and a fair amount of flash in places, but there is one problem that I spotted almost instantly, and that is that someone took the wise :question: decision to plonk a copyright date in the worst of positions! :facepalm:
IMG_5157 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

I pulled the box out of the loft a week or 2 ago and have now got things underway in the past couple of hours,so I'll update when I've made some decent progress.

Iain
Last edited by iaint on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 4:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Revell GB - 1/48 F-5F ,,Aggressor''

Post by Deacon »

A great choice mate and it's great to have you join in on this one. :up:

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Strange how the kit has wings and tail planes already on?

JJC

Post by JJC »

Irishaernut wrote:Strange how the kit has wings and tail planes already on?

That's how it's molded, top and bottom fueselage halves with wings already attached.

Built this last year, found the scheme tricky to get 'right' :biggrin:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: Revell GB - 1/48 F-5F ,,Aggressor'' - Update 1

Post by iaint »

:shock: An update and progress!! (albeit it will appear to be rather a small and insignificant update from what is below!)

IMG_5161 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5160 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5159 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

Cockpit tub is now painted and has been installed to the upper fuselage before I close the two halves up later. I got rather irritated with it as its a bloomin' single piece part, seats moulded into the tub :roll: . Remind me to never buy another kit that has that wonderful feature! Also please excuse the artistic
license with the finish, the instructions aren't the clearest with exact colour locations (and possibly the colours called for are wrong?)
I've also been attacking the smaller parts with the brushes, so undercarriage, wheels and other delicate parts are gaining some colour...

As we all know, Revell have been rather a pain with the models as their instructions always call out impossible to accurately measure ratios for mixtures, however this kit has got the FS colours listed which is a great help and equivalent humbrol enamels will be sourced! I'm particularly happy with that.

I am fairly confident that I may actually finish this in time as there are relatively few pieces to this... Though I best not jinx it by saying that!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Revell GB - 1/48 F-5F ,,Aggressor'' - Update 1

Post by Deacon »

Progress is progress mate. :up:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: Revell GB - 1/48 F-5F ,,Aggressor'' - Update 2

Post by iaint »

OK, I wasn't planning on updating quite so soon, but yet more progress has been made :grin: I probably shouldn't have made the update last night and tonight and just rolled them into one :facepalm:

Since yesterday's mini-update post I put the cockpit tub in and buttoned up the fuselage, added the radome and the exhausts and the undercarriage are halfway through construction. It's all going very quickly and is looking more and more like an F-5! :yahoo: LOL
From my look at the instructions, there isn't too much left to do :sad: Completion of the undercarriage and glazing, choosing loadout (if anything), plus attachment, and application of paint and decalling...
A couple more images from tonight - The vertical tail plane is only dry fitted at the moment
IMG_5162 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5168 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5166 by iainthomson84, on Flickr
The black spots in the wheels were done using my trusty bamboo skewer. :biggrin: I do still need to detail the oleos and hopefully won't forget!

IMG_5164 by iainthomson84, on Flickr
With the inside of the exhausts I would like to try and get something that sort of resembles the burnt look, similar to that seen in the following link

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/201-300/awa281-F-5/images_Steve_Bamford/f-5_23.jpg

But, I have no idea on how to achieve that at all (are there any methods without the use of an airbrush if possible?). I'm thinking I could possibly use some 'white'/'cream' first coat followed with (e.g.)anthracite over the top, applied lightly with a cotton bud? I'll use some spare parts to test that theory at some point. How would other people go about it, what is the more 'appropriate' method?

Cheers!!

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Have very little in the way of advice other than i tried this on the SR i did, and i went with light gray (revell matt 43 or whatevers closest) and then dry brushed black and silver over it.

I started with one layer of drybrushed black and it didnt seem right so did another and it wasnt until the 3rd time around it looked right. Then i very very lightly drybrushed silver in and it seemed to look ok.

But it was mainy streaked rather than the smudging that you see on your link.

its an option to try.

kc10

Post by kc10 »

This sounds like it from the same original factory as my f-117 as that has a one piece cockpit and very few large parts, you are making a good job of it though.

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

Looks great looking forward to seeing it finished.

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Thanks for the comments so far.
It's been a little while since I last touched it, so today I thought I'd crack open some paint and get it slopped on... It's a three tone scheme, and I was happy to find that I had two of the colours that match the FS numbers quoted. The third one I don't have and to annoy me a little, I've got tins of all 4 consecutive numbers either side of the one I need! :roll: :facepalm:

As I say, I need to source the third colour and get a second coat on the others before Klear and decallling... No images this time, I'll wait until I've at least got the paint on and dry.

Iain

Craig

Post by Craig »

Looking good mate, looks a pig of a kit though!

iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: Revell GB - 1/48 F-5F ,,Aggressor'' - Update 3

Post by iaint »

It's been a while, but at last I've got another update... Main reason for the hold up in progress was the lack of one of the paints (think I may have mentioned that before) but I finally got round to ordering it (and other colours) online, opting to use Wonderland Models (great swift service from them btw).

Only a couple of images, and you can see that the paint has now been applied :rock:
Fully brush painted and I've noticed a couple of patchy areas that I will go over again.

IMG_5345 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5348 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5351 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

The tail fin is still dry fitted and the Nose Gear is fixed in. The main gear is proving to be a bit fiddly, there are no locating marks/pins which is proving rather tricky.
The cockpit glass doesn't fit if I was wanting it closed; I would say luckily I'm having it open, but a dry fit of those parts is giving me a headache as they are also exceptionally fiddly to get into a decent position.

I inadvertently knocked off the HUD and at the time of doing so, I put it down next to me. However I then completely forgot about it and moved the kit and bits around so I have managed to lose it completely :facepalm: :oops:

I don't think that the rest of the build will take me too much time, so I should be looking at having it finished before the GB end date :smile:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

For a brush painted camo... you did a great job of it and well done getting the colours right to match what you need. Should be a nice looking build.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Great job on the camo mate. :up:

Craig

Post by Craig »

Looking good! That cammo's looking rather cool! :rock:

Cimmerian
UKAR Supporter

Post by Cimmerian »

Very nice paint job.

I've built three 1/72 F5, the undercarriage has been a pig on all of them, don't know if that makes you feel any better about yours being fiddly though. :smile:
Regards, Ken

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

:shock: I have completed my entry for this GB :shock:

Was an enjoyable build, few problems, although I mentioned before I thought the cockpit glazing and undercarriage would be a little tricky. The dry fit suggested so, however when glue was factored in, it wasn't as bad as I initially thought it would be. :smile:

Here are the photos of my finished 1/48 Revell F-5F, completed in the Aggressor colours of VFC-111 of the USN.
IMG_5364 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5372 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5375 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5378 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

IMG_5379 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

I like that a lot mate, well done. :clap:

Craig

Post by Craig »

That's a great job mate, all the more impressive for being brushed! :cool:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Thanks for the comments!

I must admit I'm very happy with how it turned out, next model I build I will need to incorporate new techniques...