FRIAT Forum 2022

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
frank

FRIAT Forum 2022

Post by frank »

Wendy has sent out an email asking for any questions that people want raised to be sent to her and she will raise them directly at the Forum
I thought I would share my question here and would be interested in any views from the FRIAT members.

Hi Wendy
I have a question that I would like raised please.
Monday departures has the most number of FRIAT members in the Enclosure of any day and it is often very crowded. I notice that the disabled section next door and the Grandstand further along do not have anything happening to them on these days. Indeed one can often see photographers in the disabled area and Cadets seated in the Grandstand.
So my question is - can we please spill over from the enclosure into the Grandstand and the Disabled areas on the monday please.

rebel14

Re: FRIAT Forum 2022

Post by rebel14 »

Good question but I'm sure it will be down to insurance. Perhaps worth asking how some "press" appear to get into the enclosure on the Monday. They don't appear to be fully accredited press and certainly not paying FRIAT members. So why are they allowed in the enclosure?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Probably an issue of insurance and policing, perhaps?

Duty of care from the show to paying ticket holders probably differs to the duty of care the show owes volunteers and a handful of “press”.

Plus it reduces the scope of responsibility. If organisers know all the ticket holders are in one location, it saves a headache of checking/turfing them out etc.

Probably just avoids numerous headaches overall, I think.

Remember that only Mach Two and Three packages include Monday, so in theory, there are a few rows of Mach One seats that can be occupied to allow people to spread out a bit.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

What date is the forum?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Tue 05 Apr 2022, 1:44 pm
What date is the forum?
Last Friday, 1st April.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

oh haha, how did it go?

Berf

Post by Berf »

Someone did a great round up last time - here's hoping.....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Perhaps they’ve been told to keep hush!

Berf

Post by Berf »

Fair enough for aircraft announcements but for other questions...? or will other FRIAT people get a summary sent to them?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

I believe RIAT will publish the Q&A within the FRIAT Members areas at some stage.

Berf

Post by Berf »

A month on.. be nice to see that Q&A! It's a bit naff for some FRIAT members to know what went on but not others...

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Quite agree.

verreli

Post by verreli »

I'd love to know too (I'm not FRIAT) and agree FRIAT members should informed but it's not for other FRIAT members to spill the beans. The organisers have your email addresses, it would be nice to send you an update so those unable to attend don't miss out.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Seems RIAT (and Cosford for that matter) have lost the ability to communicate in several areas since the pandemic. If you are not able to keep 'latest news' sections up to date on your website, why keep them? Just gives a bad impression.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

That seems to be a bit of an unfair criticism. RIAT comms have been pretty decent this year?

Most of the time the FRIAT forum stuff is quite FRIAT specific, plus some general Q&A about the show which is mildly interesting, but can become pretty samey, and very rarely does it result in any groundbreaking revelations.

I don’t think there’s much we’re missing out on, but yeah, it’s a shame another FRIATer couldn’t put a quick summary of what was discussed here like previously (though, of course, there’s no obligation to do that).

Berf

Post by Berf »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 1:47 pm
That seems to be a bit of an unfair criticism. RIAT comms have been pretty decent this year?

Most of the time the FRIAT forum stuff is quite FRIAT specific, plus some general Q&A about the show which is mildly interesting, but can become pretty samey, and very rarely does it result in any groundbreaking revelations.

I don’t think there’s much we’re missing out on, but yeah, it’s a shame another FRIATer couldn’t put a quick summary of what was discussed here like previously (though, of course, there’s no obligation to do that).
Well not really Tommy - we have rolled over quite a lot of money twice and paid some extra - I am just asking for some FRIAT communication - nothing more. As for your comment on the FRIAT forum stuff being quite FRIAT specific... well yes isn't that the idea?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Unfair - I don't think so. Not everyone uses (or wants to use) social media which seems to be the limit of their communications this year. Nothing wrong with the social media posts they've been making (apart from the bizarre B to F of RIAT posts) but you have to consider ALL your customers. Seems like the massive change of staff has led to a loss of basic corporate knowledge. Air Ops seem to the only ones contributing (Very well I might add)

To have a 'LATEST news' section to the website with the most recent article on the 18th November 2021 just has the feeling that they don't care. If you are not going to use it take it down. Also, if you tell FRIAT members you are going to do something, then do it. Isn't the members section of the website meant to be tangible benefit? All it tells you at the moment is they had a Forum in 2019 with 40 people without even adding the Q & A from that year. What is the point?
Last edited by clearstone on Tue 03 May 2022, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

If you’re both FRIAT members, have you tried emailing Wendy to ask for a summary or to chase it up? I think the members area was supposed to have an update put into it.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Yes and no reply.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Perhaps chase again, or call. She’s normally pretty decent on the phone when I’ve called.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Isn't the point that with good communications you don't have to chase?

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

There is a lot of negativity on here... come on guys!
Lakes Lightning Collection

Berf

Post by Berf »

That's because there's an issue Chris - one that can simply be solved for the customers of the show. Just because it's RIAT does not make it immune from fair criticism even if there may be some unfair criticism from time to time.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

verreli wrote:
Wed 04 May 2022, 6:57 am
Isn't the point that with good communications you don't have to chase?
Yes. However the airshow team is signicantly smaller than three years ago and the RIAT playbook has been torn up and has been started again. One problem shared with us was that the mobile toilet providers have downsized hugely and it’s not now a case of simply making a single call in the last week of July to confirm the number of portaloos for the next year. With the number of music festivals about the demand for loos has increased exponentially and I guess the old Mildenhall solution would be frowned upon now.

The team has been going through the initial contacts with embassies, having pre-formal discussions and then putting in formal written requests. Then negotiating Requirements. All with a smaller team.

The traffic light system of confirmed, in negotiations or “not this year” really gives us all we can know because, as was stressed, there is a very justifiable policy of not confirming until the confirmation documents have arrived.

Personally, having attended the forum for the first time, I had the clear impression of a very professional unit, very well led. They are clearly on top of all the organisation and have good analysis of all the feedback and data they collect.

Oh, blue gate is the only one with FRIAT specific fast track - just as it’s been for a number of years.

I would rather somebody was negotiating for those Phantoms than spending time telling us how many loo rolls have been ordered.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Evening All,

There was a write-up done by one of the FRIAT Volunteer Team who was present on the day of the FRIAT Forum, which Wendy had refined and got it ready to go on the FRIAT area of the website. However, it's been sat with me to clarify some of the aircraft points before publishing, but my time has been focused on more pressing operational matters with only 68 days until we take over the airfield. I've spoken to Wendy today and promised to get it approved for publication soon. My apologies for causing the delay, but Iain's post has connected the dots and understood the situation. As for the "lost the ability to communicate" comments, a little harsh? Have you tried ringing DBH customer services as they're usually very helpful at answering customer queries...

Cheers,
Peter