RIAT 2022 Feedback and thoughts

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2022 Feedback and thoughts

Post by aviodromefriend »

Time for my remarks about this year’s RIAT.

What has changed with the shuttle busses and the entrance operation? Normally the busses start to arrive at Fairford when the gates are already open, this year at least on Friday and Sunday the gates were still closed. Also I don’t remember to have to hurry so much for breakfast at my hotel. Have the shuttles started earlier than pre-covid and/or were the gates opened later than normal?

As I now was at Fairford from the moment the gates opened, I also wondered what happened with the thing I thought to have missed for years due to being too late to witness, the once impressive emergency services drive/flypast?

Public Adress was poor at best, maybe even unacceptable. At the spot where I was (west of the disabled enclosure) these things were either silent (but you could hear their friends further west spouting out sound) or working for short periods (hardly two minutes without stopping working again) on Friday and Saturday. And when they were working, there were a few mistakes that were very unbendunnellesque. He missed Austria as a former Draken operator (although I think they brought their 08 for displaying to a former RIAT), but what was more shocking, at Friday he mentioned that D Day was in May 1945. If it took such a short period from landing in Normandy to victory over Hitler, a lot of lives would not have been lost.

Why was the USAF static-line with the F-15 pointing to the south, making for a backdrop of trading stalls? If these aircraft were rotated 180 degrees there wouldn’t have been this issue.

Then the last thing, my departure on Sunday. As I was very tired and hot by then, and I saw the belgians again didn’t use their special aircraft, but the tiger one, I decided to use the showground bus to yellow. At all stations where the bus stopped the driver yelled everybody had to get off because the bus wouldn’t go any further, While we were leaving we were told to stay on board because we weren’t at yellow yet. At red I decided it was enough of this thing and I just went walking. Then I got on the shuttlebus to Swindon. You should expect at that time (third day, after four o‘clock) the driver would know he has to turn right after getting off the base, but this creature turned left. After two more left turns, he ended up at the main gate of the base. Via the perimeter road along the north-eastern loop we were taken back to where we started.

Last thing: there was a rumour going around sunday morning at yellow that something special would happen at 16.30. As normally this would be announced as something special a lot of times over the day and nothing was said, I would think that nothing special happened but can anybody confirm?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Tue 26 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm

What has changed with the shuttle busses and the entrance operation? Normally the busses start to arrive at Fairford when the gates are already open, this year at least on Friday and Sunday the gates were still closed. Also I don’t remember to have to hurry so much for breakfast at my hotel. Have the shuttles started earlier than pre-covid and/or were the gates opened later than normal?

As I now was at Fairford from the moment the gates opened, I also wondered what happened with the thing I thought to have missed for years due to being too late to witness, the once impressive emergency services drive/flypast?

Public Adress was poor at best, maybe even unacceptable. At the spot where I was (west of the disabled enclosure) these things were either silent (but you could hear their friends further west spouting out sound) or working for short periods (hardly two minutes without stopping working again) on Friday and Saturday. And when they were working, there were a few mistakes that were very unbendunnellesque. He missed Austria as a former Draken operator (although I think they brought their 08 for displaying to a former RIAT), but what was more shocking, at Friday he mentioned that D Day was in May 1945. If it took such a short period from landing in Normandy to victory over Hitler, a lot of lives would not have been lost.

Why was the USAF static-line with the F-15 pointing to the south, making for a backdrop of trading stalls? If these aircraft were rotated 180 degrees there wouldn’t have been this issue.

Then the last thing, my departure on Sunday. As I was very tired and hot by then, and I saw the belgians again didn’t use their special aircraft, but the tiger one, I decided to use the showground bus to yellow. At all stations where the bus stopped the driver yelled everybody had to get off because the bus wouldn’t go any further, While we were leaving we were told to stay on board because we weren’t at yellow yet. At red I decided it was enough of this thing and I just went walking. Then I got on the shuttlebus to Swindon. You should expect at that time (third day, after four o‘clock) the driver would know he has to turn right after getting off the base, but this creature turned left. After two more left turns, he ended up at the main gate of the base. Via the perimeter road along the north-eastern loop we were taken back to where we started.

Last thing: there was a rumour going around sunday morning at yellow that something special would happen at 16.30. As normally this would be announced as something special a lot of times over the day and nothing was said, I would think that nothing special happened but can anybody confirm?
After what is generally regarded as having been a very good airshow, I'm surprised to see that every one of your remarks is negative. Was there absolutely nothing that you enjoyed about your day, or is the good stuff just not worth mentioning...? :slight_frown:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

aviodromefriend wrote:

Nothing has changed regarding that.

I've had to queue for gates opening in both 2017 & 2019 (my only other times there). Just depends on what time you get the shuttle bus. They start at 6.30am, and showground opens at 7.30am so with a 35/40 minute journey, if you catch any bus before 7am you're going to be waiting on gates opening.

This year having done the Friday I had the luxury of being able to catch a later bus as I had done most of the static. But what you said seems normal as I've experienced it every other year I've been.

neil_davidson2

Post by neil_davidson2 »

boff180 wrote:
Tue 26 Jul 2022, 1:21 pm
neil_davidson2 wrote:
Tue 26 Jul 2022, 1:19 pm
I did wonder if there might have been a possibility of positioning some of the "star" items such as the Swedish Historic Flight & A-4 closer to the centre of the static park.
They were parked where they were as this historically is the best area photographically for static aircraft hence why most of the stars were parked in this location.
Ahh ok, thanks for the info.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

aviodromefriend wrote:
He missed Austria as a former Draken operator (although I think they brought their 08 for displaying to a former RIAT).
Austrian Drakens have never been to IAT/RIAT.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Sounds like it all went downhill from the point at which you had to unexpectedly rush your breakfast. What a nightmare for you. Hopefully the incredible flying displays made up for it a little.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

So having had time to sit back and reflect, my thoughts are that, although it was not without its flaws, this was potentially one of my favourite RIATs

We could talk for hours about the acts that didn't come etc, but i thought on the whole it was a good and varied display, and for me some of the static items rivalled what was flying, which is always a good thing.

The car parking didn't seem as bad as it normally does, but then as i was running solo i was able to get there early and leave late so i may have missed it. the only exception to this was the thursday at P&V east which seemed to have no management at all when people left.

One thing i'd like to see is more airshow related stands. I get that animal charities and that are important, but they feel out of place to me at a place like RIAT.

My first experience of FRIAT was a bit of a mixed bag. The entry system seemed to be a bit of a mess, with the friday especially just being a fight between FRIAT members and the general public trying to get in all at the same time. The enclosure itself was good, but i can't say it was an enjoyable experience sitting in the stand, maybe that was in part due to the heat. I found myself out wandering and meeting friends for a lot of it. I did have to have a long think before returning my form as to whether i wanted to do FRIAT next year, and even though i have submitted it i'm still not sure.

Overall, a really well put on show with great attendance

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

I imagine charity stalls will be present at as many big events as they can, the more the better I think - they can still make room for all the other stalls. :-)
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Meh!!

Nah, not really!

Only bothered going into the showground on the Saturday.

Didn't bother wandering down to queue until about 07:00 ( Blue car park ) but by then there appeared to be at least 4 separate branches, all converging near the entrance of Kempsford campsite.
As usual, plenty of people seen just wandering out of the car park and either joining the queue wherever they felt like of heading down towards the showground entrance.

Initial security checks were pointless, don't know why they even bothered with the perfunctory 'magic wanding' this year.

The actual show was decent enough, although - as usual - some of the display elements did drag on for far too long, and it was good to see less concentration given to jets to the benefit of the likes of the helicopter displays ( even if one of them didn't move any further than crowdline-centre )

RAFAT - I see that others have now raised their heads above the parapet & are criticising this sacred cow....in my opinion, they should either stick with being a 7-ship display and work up a whole new routine to suit ( instead of their usual trick of simply re-naming elements ) or be binned altogether and replaced with something new.

I note that others have also commented upon the ignoramuses who showed no consideration for others in their single-minded quest to photograph something......and if you're one of those that I swore at for doing so, you deserved it!
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Mon 15 Aug 2022, 12:18 pm
Didn't bother wandering down to queue until about 07:00 ( Blue car park ) but by then there appeared to be at least 4 separate branches, all converging near the entrance of Kempsford campsite.
As usual, plenty of people seen just wandering out of the car park and either joining the queue wherever they felt like of heading down towards the showground entrance.
I was in that queue, just inside the car park. There was one queue that snaked around the car park, and after it initially looked like there was another queue forming at the camp site entrance, it looked to us as though they were all told to join the back of the single queue inside the car park. When we got to the campsite entrance, there was certainly no additional queues.
The only people who we saw who were walking past the queue were people walking down to the FRIAT entrance just past the normal entrance.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

grant_w wrote: There was one queue that snaked around the car park, and after it initially looked like there was another queue forming at the camp site entrance, it looked to us as though they were all told to join the back of the single queue inside the car park. When we got to the campsite entrance, there was certainly no additional queues.
The only people who we saw who were walking past the queue were people walking down to the FRIAT entrance just past the normal entrance.
There was only one queue in the car park when I joined it ( as you say, a 'snake' )
They then moved the top part ( the one parallel to the road ) further down into the car park, as it was initially crossing the entrance and trackway that the cars were using.
Later, for whatever reason, the queue at the top part restarted, but instead of being routed to join the existing queue they were heading straight towards where the burger van/toilets were.
When I exited the field, there was also another queue heading down the lane alongside the campsite ( where the queue was last time )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Thu 18 Aug 2022, 11:03 am
grant_w wrote: There was one queue that snaked around the car park, and after it initially looked like there was another queue forming at the camp site entrance, it looked to us as though they were all told to join the back of the single queue inside the car park. When we got to the campsite entrance, there was certainly no additional queues.
There was only one queue in the car park when I joined it ( as you say, a 'snake' )
They then moved the top part ( the one parallel to the road ) further down into the car park, as it was initially crossing the entrance and trackway that the cars were using.
Later, for whatever reason, the queue at the top part restarted, but instead of being routed to join the existing queue they were heading straight towards where the burger van/toilets were.
When I exited the field, there was also another queue heading down the lane alongside the campsite ( where the queue was last time )
Fair enough, I must have been past it at that point

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Just over a month on, my thoughts on this great event.

Good:
Hinds, Hip and Sokol - Enjoyed seeing these old Eastern European helicopters in the flying display.
Italian C-27J display - Good to see a larger aeroplane being thrown around as it was.
CH-53G, AN-30, AMX, T-339, TB-30, A-4N, SwAFHF, E-4B!!! (if that can appear, surely nothing is off the cards :grinning: - well done DBH!) - The oldies in the static display - Catch them while you can.
Black Eagles & Frecce - Two excellent jet-based aerobatic teams (a couple more like these would be good).
Austrian QRA - Even if one Typhoon decided to break mid-display on Sunday, it was good to see a demo based upon their operational roles (Mustang X-Ray were similar - the commentator made the purpose of all they were doing clear, even if they weren't flying the most exciting jets that many might have preferred to see (Mirage 2000/ Rafale)

Minor issues:
Plastic trees - A mildy unnecessary annoyance in the more corporate area - I am sure that sales of the aircraft would not be affected if the fake trees were not to make a return.
Sokol - Sitting at the Eastern end of the showground, we got very few glimpses of this display (perhaps just a thing to accept if you sit at the end of the display line, but it would be nice to have seen better use made of the whole airfield).
Traffic - Blue route was painfully slow, I am not an expert in traffic planning, but hopefully someone who is could table some alternative ideas for next year's traffic management.

The last minute Sk60 and B-52 cancellations, as well as the 757 were a shame, and hopefully they all will make a return in future, but that didn't detract from what was a great show.

Well done and thankyou to all the team at DBH and the air arms from around the world who committed to the show - roll on 2023.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Nothing much to add, other than one or two of the helicopter displays (Czech SAR mainly) performed almost exclusively down the far Western end of the runway - not good if you were situated anywhere else, I imagine.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Flare Path wrote:
Sun 08 Jan 2023, 12:52 pm
Nothing much to add, other than one or two of the helicopter displays (Czech SAR mainly) performed almost exclusively down the far Western end of the runway - not good if you were situated anywhere else, I imagine.
Yeah, on the Sunday I was down in the Pimms Flightdeck, they didn't come down near us. I don't think they ventured past the FRIAT enclosure or Public Grandstand.

I got to see them Friday and Saturday from the Grandstand though. The S&R demo was too far away to see anything and watched it via my camera zoom on the Sunday.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 08 Jan 2023, 3:19 pm
Flare Path wrote:
Sun 08 Jan 2023, 12:52 pm
Yeah, on the Sunday I was down in the Pimms Flightdeck, they didn't come down near us. I don't think they ventured past the FRIAT enclosure or Public Grandstand.

I got to see them Friday and Saturday from the Grandstand though. The S&R demo was too far away to see anything and watched it via my camera zoom on the Sunday.
Right at the eastern end of the airfield, we got two passes where it came mildly close to us, the rest was rather distant.

Dom

Post by Dom »

Hi all,

Back to 2022, could you tell me when the last "major" aircraft has took off ?
Usually, the last take off is around 2PM.
In order to plan my 2023 trip :)

Thanks.
Dom

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Dom wrote:
Wed 11 Jan 2023, 7:57 pm
Hi all,

Back to 2022, could you tell me when the last "major" aircraft has took off ?
Usually, the last take off is around 2PM.
In order to plan my 2023 trip :)

Thanks.
Dom
How do you define "major"?
The last departure on Monday was just before 4pm. The Jordanian Herc did not leave as Brize's runway had melted, that was something I was after for its special marks, so in terms of "major" it was around Wednesday for me.

Someone who lives in Germany might see A-4s and the A340 regularly but both new for many of us in the UK.

Work on 4pm on Monday as that's when they look to throw you out and is usually when they are wrapping up the last departures, quite often trans Atlantic heavies.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/