RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
sideeffectwhu

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by sideeffectwhu »

Hi hope you don't mind me changing the topic a sec but my son has been selected to attend the event through the air cadets and I was wondering whether they actually stay on the field or on a campsite nearby. If it's on the airfield then I will not go as I don't want him to feel pressured by me being on the airfield.

Many thanks.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Hi,

Good question.

Air Cadets usually camp all together on an official (and secure) RAF Air Cadet campsite located on Site 15. This is the bomb dump the opposite side of the road from the entrance to Park and View East.

He'll love it and if he is as busy as most Air Cadets are at the show, he won't even know you are there.

Ta

Andy

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

Thank you for that information I live in London and I'm not sure if I really want to go as I now prefer camping at airbase that are not having airshows. All depends on finances.

Thanks again

John

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

RIAT website updated with the ‘Aircraft List’ and ‘Latest Updates’ pages as of 23/02/22.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Frecce Tricolori domestic dates are out, and are free RIAT weekend.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2022/02/ai ... ates-2022/

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 20 Feb 2022, 10:02 am
If an aircraft is ready to be announced, it’ll be announced. Until then, we will all have to remain patient. 👍🏻
Afternoon All,

Now the new airtattoo.com website has gone live, we should be all systems go for weekly aircraft updates to begin tomorrow!
Lots of work going on across DBH to ensure RIAT 2022 is worth the 3 year wait for you all and lots of exciting projects ongoing for all the team.

Cheers,
Peter

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Wed 23 Feb 2022, 4:44 pm
Tommy wrote:
If an aircraft is ready to be announced, it’ll be announced. Until then, we will all have to remain patient. 👍🏻
Afternoon All,

Now the new airtattoo.com website has gone live, we should be all systems go for weekly aircraft updates to begin tomorrow!
Lots of work going on across DBH to ensure RIAT 2022 is worth the 3 year wait for you all and lots of exciting projects ongoing for all the team.

Cheers,
Peter
The day many of us have been waiting for :) (Outside of actually getting to Fairford in July) Thanks for the update, Peter :)

Gripenjetphotos

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Wed 23 Feb 2022, 4:44 pm
Tommy wrote:
Afternoon All,

Cheers,
Peter

Aha, the news I (and many others) have been waiting for. It’s been a long few years, looking forward to this!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Looking forward to it!

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Given the purported Russian invasion of Ukraine currently underway it is likely that the US Air Force would deploy further assets to Fairford as a result of which I would not be at all surprised to see RIAT cancelled for another year, which would in my opinion be the final nail in the coffin of RIAT.

I would be very sad to see it go as I have been attending since the 1970s.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

phreakf4 wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 5:51 am
Given the purported Russian invasion of Ukraine currently underway it is likely that the US Air Force would deploy further assets to Fairford as a result of which I would not be at all surprised to see RIAT cancelled for another year, which would in my opinion be the final nail in the coffin of RIAT.

I would be very sad to see it go as I have been attending since the 1970s.
I think we've probably all thought that the situation in Ukraine could have implications for the show but I'm curious as to why you think that a cancellation would be the final nail in the coffin?

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

G-CVIX wrote:

I think we've probably all thought that the situation in Ukraine could have implications for the show but I'm curious as to why you think that a cancellation would be the final nail in the coffin?
Because they have had virtually no income for the past two years despite having to continue with planning and preparation and I doubt they would have the reserves to finance a show in 2023 if the 2022 show is cancelled, given that the vast majority of current ticket holders would probably require refunds rather than roll over for yet another year. FRIAT would probably not be so seriously affected, but we make up only a very small minority of the attendance
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Let's be positive. Hopefully some Ukranian Su-27s will attend with kill stars on them.

Thinking more widely and directly towards the show, good luck to DBH and event organisers for a successful build up and show delivery. Enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. We're all a long time dead.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 6:26 am

Because they financially can’t survive another late cancellation…. It would be all down to whether their insurance would cover cancellation in time of war.

Which, correct me if I am wrong is a standard industry exclusion on any type of insurance policy.

I asked Paul about the implications of cancelling so late in my RIAT 50th Article for UKAR regarding the 2021 cancellation - this is what he said….
The big game changer was that there was no cancellation insurance available anywhere in the world against communicable diseases and COVID in particular. We could see a financial hole about to open up in front of us as we started to contract more of our suppliers for the showground who we would be obliged to pay in the event of cancellation, with no insurance to cover these costs. Having cancelled RIAT 2020 we had lost our sole source of income and we could not have survived the financial implications of a second cancellation at a late stage"
Looking forward to the update today!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Baby Blue flying, P47 and Sally b on static for first update
Last edited by Tom105 on Thu 24 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Latest Update - 24 February 2022
Welcome to the first of our weekly updates from the RIAT Air Operations Department as we look ahead to RIAT 2022 and the world's Air Arms returning to RAF Fairford.

First up this week, we are very pleased to receive confirmation from the Royal Danish Air Force that as part of our operational theme focusing on training aircraft, they will send their Baby Blue Display Team to RIAT for the first time. The last time we saw one of their T-17 Supporter aircraft at RAF Fairford was back at RIAT 2010, so their appearance is warmly welcomed.

We can also confirm the first aircraft which will form part of our unique static display which will celebrate the United States Air Force's 75th Anniversary, with iconic American warbirds parked alongside their modern-day counterparts. Both B-17G Flying Fortress "Sally B" and P-47D Thunderbolt "Nellie" will form part of this static display at RIAT 2022.

We are in communication with our friends from the Austrian Air Force, Hungarian Air Force & German Army who have all indicated their intent to send aircraft to participate in the flying display at RIAT 2022. Discussions continue with formal confirmations expected in the coming weeks.

We are aware that the Swiss Air Force have published their intent online for two of their display assets to participate at RIAT 2022, however we await formal confirmation through our official channels before publishing details on our participation list.

jamyt123

Post by jamyt123 »

edhunter wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm
Latest Update - 24 February 2022
Welcome to the first of our weekly updates from the RIAT Air Operations Department as we look ahead to RIAT 2022 and the world's Air Arms returning to RAF Fairford.

First up this week, we are very pleased to receive confirmation from the Royal Danish Air Force that as part of our operational theme focusing on training aircraft, they will send their Baby Blue Display Team to RIAT for the first time. The last time we saw one of their T-17 Supporter aircraft at RAF Fairford was back at RIAT 2010, so their appearance is warmly welcomed.

We can also confirm the first aircraft which will form part of our unique static display which will celebrate the United States Air Force's 75th Anniversary, with iconic American warbirds parked alongside their modern-day counterparts. Both B-17G Flying Fortress "Sally B" and P-47D Thunderbolt "Nellie" will form part of this static display at RIAT 2022.

We are in communication with our friends from the Austrian Air Force, Hungarian Air Force & German Army who have all indicated their intent to send aircraft to participate in the flying display at RIAT 2022. Discussions continue with formal confirmations expected in the coming weeks.

We are aware that the Swiss Air Force have published their intent online for two of their display assets to participate at RIAT 2022, however we await formal confirmation through our official channels before publishing details on our participation list.
Plus not participating so far:

Royal Australian Army, Chilean Navy, French Army Air Corps, Royal Saudi Air Force, Kuwait Air Force
Coningsby Spotter

2024 - Midlands AF, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT etc...

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Nice additions - disappointing about the Saudi Air Force & French Army.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

edhunter wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm
Awesome to see this sort of comms again - fantastic stuff, DBH.

The Austrian flying participant is interesting! The usual (and itself a little gem) Saab 105 have all been retired now, haven’t they?

Likewise the German Army - some helicopter participation? Sounds tops.

Great to see Baby Blue - not the most noteworthy to the general public, but I’ve got a lot of time for those T-17s!

Great to be talking about RIAT participation again! 🤙🏻

Gripenjetphotos

Austrian AF could be a Typhoon at long last! German Army could potentially be the Tiger or NH90. Either way, will be nice to see both the B-17 and P-47 on the ground at Fairford, along with the Baby Blues in the air.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Indeed it is great to be talking about RIAT participation but its all overshadowed for me by thoughts of our Ukrainian friends who had provided the highlights of past RIATS with their people, aircraft and indeed the largest and most diverse 'tat' stand ever, now trying to survive cruise missiles raining down them and their homeland.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Its a start. Always liked seeing tose Danish T-17's in the past, used to be a common sight back in the 80's at many UK shows, although there are still some I have not seen.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Cracking update with some promising news.

Just what we all needed!

Baby Blue are something different, enjoyed their brief but enjoyable appearance at Cosford 2019.

Good to see a new team attending so early on.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

a small start, but i do like the way the update was more than just a participant announcement and gave us an idea of who else is coming.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I have to be honest, and I'm aware that there will be the usual barrage of you can't criticise, blah, blah, blah....... (hard hat is on).

That has to be the most bizarre opening aircraft announcement in the history of IAT/RIAT. Having waited until the last Thursday in February, we get two static (why not flying if we are celebrating the USAF formation) warbirds and a display team that will be fairly lost in Fairford's mammoth skies (btw I like Danish T-17s).

Hardly the opening blockbuster I thought we may be building up to.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/