RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by boff180 »

The show is sticking by the formula of… if it hasn’t formally confirmed then it isn’t announced until they have.

A RIAT debut for a team and a UK debut for their new format isn’t bad by a long shot.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

On the list of air arms invited, it may just be my OCD kicking in here, why is the Republic of Korea Navy listed under K for Korea, the Republic of Korea Air Force listed under S for South Korea and the Republic of Singapore Air Force listed under R for Republic?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Snappy vids are pretty cool, too.

Big fan of the special scheme T-17. No idea if that’s current or not, but would love to see that.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

It was around last year Tom, can't see them being in a great rush to repaint.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 3:48 pm
Big fan of the special scheme T-17. No idea if that’s current or not, but would love to see that.
https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircr ... splay-team
.....The team have since expanded to fly six aircraft for the 2022 season and RAF Fairford will be the first time this new formation will be seen in the UK.

.....The team also hope to bring along as one of their display aircraft a Supporter that has been specially painted to the mark the 75th anniversary of the DH Chipmunk which was previously flown by the Danish military.
:wink:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Noice! It looks bloody excellent.

Good news about the two extra aircraft - people are right to worry a little bit about RIAT’a display line, so an additional two machines will help with that.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Never seen them before so a nice addition.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I'd say we can all forget about RIAT for another year

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Given that RIAT took place in the same years as:

Gulf War 1
Bosnia
Kosovo
9/11
Afghanistan
Gulf War 2
and after Russia's 2014 invasion of Crimea...

I think we will be ok!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

What we see today has the potential to be more serious than all of those I'm afraid.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 8:08 am
What we see today has the potential to be more serious than all of those I'm afraid.
has the potential to, but as it stands it only involves russia and ukraine.
if the situation changes then maybe RIAT will go. If it does it does, but its pointless to speculate at this time

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 10:38 pm

Gulf War 1
Bosnia
Kosovo
9/11
Afghanistan
Gulf War 2

I think we will be ok!
Of course RIAT took place the same year as 9/11,because RIAT took place 28 &29 July,which according to my calendar July is the 7th month,and September is the 9th month.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 1:41 pm
MiG_Eater wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 10:38 pm

Gulf War 1
Bosnia
Kosovo
9/11
Afghanistan
Gulf War 2

I think we will be ok!
Of course RIAT took place the same year as 9/11,because RIAT took place 28 &29 July,which according to my calendar July is the 7th month,and September is the 9th month.
i guess you could argue it covered the period after the attack where we went into Afghan

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

There’s a separate thread to discuss the conflict in Ukraine in the Off Topic section - a reminder that this thread is for discussion about RIAT 2022.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 4:12 pm
There’s a separate thread to discuss the conflict in Ukraine in the Off Topic section - a reminder that this thread is for discussion about RIAT 2022.
Sorry, I did post in wrong thread. I did try to delete but tells me I am unable to. Will edit it.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

You have to love the RIAT fanboys who believe this whole mess will be all tidied up just in time for a meaningless airshow in July!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 9:03 pm
You have to love the RIAT fanboys who believe this whole mess will be all tidied up just in time for a meaningless airshow in July!
Have to love the posters who think they have a crystal ball and can predict the future in multiple posts on this forum.

Get over yourself, you are not a clairvoyant

RIAT might get cancelled, but I'll wait for DBH to confirm it

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 9:03 pm
Are you posting in this thread just to wind people up? Can I suggest you take your negativity elsewhere, please? We all know that the situation in Ukraine could have immense and far reaching ramifications, but as far as we know there is still an airshow going ahead which, believe it or not on a forum about AIRSHOWS, people might want to look forward to & discuss.

Anyway, back on topic...

I enjoyed the Baby Blue as a four ship, so I'm sure I'll enjoy them as a six. I don't think they'll be lost at Fairford but inevitably being smaller, slower types they may struggle a little.

I don't think its a bizarre opening announcement. Presumably items such as Sally B can be added to a flying display further down the line, if there is space, whereas I would think it's much more difficult to relegate them to static should military allocations fill the flying display up. There's obviously a plan for the static park that these aircraft fit in with.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I have no crystal ball but my opinion is that we should be very prepared that NATO countries won't see this as a priority in just a few months.

It's my opinion, should I have to keep quiet with my opinion? Isn't that what a forum is for? I believe I am being realistic not negative. It may go ahead but I feel it probably won't.

FYI I love airshows and have attended every RIAT since 2006.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The purpose of a military airshow is threefold; to show the populace what the taxes are being spent on, recruitment and, to a lesser extent, the chance for forces to work together.
Consequently it could be argued that it’s even more important for a show to happen to demonstrate the level of western solidarity.
The issue is whether the capability will be there to support a show given the massive cuts in number of aircraft and pilots over the last few decades.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

This is a spot on analysis, it's the last part that forms my opinion about RIAT this year. People who think I am having a pop at RIAT are missing the point. And in a lot of ways I hope I am wrong but not sure I will be.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I think the value of international allies coming together in the flesh, and with their equipment cannot be overstated.

And as for the hearts and minds of the public - your average man on the street being able to meet and shake hands with personnel from around the world is a huge thing, which makes the crisis in Ukraine feel that much closer to home.

I wouldn't venture that any airshow is meaningless, but RIAT is most certainly not.

Anyway, back on to this year. Baby Blue is a cool announcement. A rare type and something of a different category to usual. Fingers crossed for some heavy metal, as always, but frankly - I just want to have my feet back on that hallowed ground!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I do see RIAT going ahead, but mostly display teams like Frecce Tricolori, Reds, PdF etc that are dedicated teams and not active operational aircraft , rather than displays of front line jets like F16s etc and with DBH maybe having to mix in civilian displays as a back-up if things get worse.

Static would probably take more of a heavy hit than the flying.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I have a nasty feeling the show will not take place but really hope I am wrong,
Issue is the base is an active staging post for USAF and may well be used in the coming months, also many air arms may have more pressing issues (especially if part of NATO)depending on how the Ukranian conflict goes on and pans out, i think a show like RIAT can only go-head if many airforces lend their weight to it and month’s of planning are involved, if a major exercise like Cobra Warrior can be cancelled then it doesn’t bode well for less important events such as airshows!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Sat 26 Feb 2022, 8:37 pm
I think the value of international allies coming together in the flesh, and with their equipment cannot be overstated.

And as for the hearts and minds of the public - your average man on the street being able to meet and shake hands with personnel from around the world is a huge thing, which makes the crisis in Ukraine feel that much closer to home.

I wouldn't venture that any airshow is meaningless, but RIAT is most certainly not.

Anyway, back on to this year. Baby Blue is a cool announcement. A rare type and something of a different category to usual. Fingers crossed for some heavy metal, as always, but frankly - I just want to have my feet back on that hallowed ground!
Sorry but I think you are deluded.
This year, in the context of what's going on, RIAT is absolutely meaningless. And the point about FFD being required operationally is a good one. It's early days but as others say, I have seen big shows cancelled for less. And if any show is vulnerable to a lack of NATO assets, it's this one. We will see.