Airshows 2022

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Redspan

Airshows 2022

Post by Redspan »

Does the airshow calendar for 2022 look like it's back to full strength or are there still some obvious gaps?

Are any organisers still cancelling 'because of of Covid'?

Of the ones you plan to attend, will you be voluntarily be observing any restrictions e.g. face masks, even if only in certain areas?

Witchcraft24

Re: Airshows 2022

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Season is pretty much back to normal , although the circuit has seen the loss of Sunderland, Yeovilton, Legends, Newcastle (N.I.) and East Fortune. Of those, only Sunderland have quoted Covid as a primary reason for cancellation.
However, Portrush and Teesside have returned to the circuit.

Post by 106500 »

In relatively recent times, add to this Culdrose, Waddington, Leuchars, etc and it’s fairly clear that air shows are a dying breed, regarded by authorities as an inconvenience. In my opinion Covid just adds to the long list of excuses to get rid of them all permanently.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I'm not able to comment further on the forthcoming Airshow Calendar for fear of appearing 'entitled'. :rofl: The truth for me is that there is no longer a 'normal' to return to IMO. What you get this year will set the 'bar height' for future years to TRY to emulate but never raise!
Just my moderated POV. No offence intended to innocent dreamers! :innocent:
If you want to catch-up on previous iterations of a similar topic, please see viewtopic.php?t=86780

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

106500 wrote:
Sun 17 Apr 2022, 7:40 am
In relatively recent times, add to this Culdrose, Waddington, Leuchars, etc and it’s fairly clear that air shows are a dying breed, regarded by authorities as an inconvenience. In my opinion Covid just adds to the long list of excuses to get rid of them all permanently.
Also the fact that the local populations are tiring of the inconvenience forced upon them by air shows. A common response to that is "But it's only one or two days in the year". From the point of view of the air show attendees that may be true but as a local resident I can assure you that Farnborough, for example, screws up the local traffic for abut six weeks!
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

phreakf4 wrote:
Sun 17 Apr 2022, 9:46 am
106500 wrote:
Sun 17 Apr 2022, 7:40 am
Also the fact that the local populations are tiring of the inconvenience forced upon them by air shows. A common response to that is "But it's only one or two days in the year". From the point of view of the air show attendees that may be true but as a local resident I can assure you that Farnborough, for example, screws up the local traffic for abut six weeks!
At the same time as the airshow itself has been progressively emasculated. As another Farnborough resident over the last 57 years who "got into" aviation as a kid based on Farnborough's show I would now cheerfully bin what's left of it.

Having said that I don't think you can compare a big trade show with an avowedly public day/weekend airshow for screwing up locals, and I also think if everything that some locals don't like got cancelled that would be the end of civilisation as we know it, from seaside residents who don't like tourists up to and including expat townies who don't like the smells of the countryside, church bells or cockerels.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Sun 17 Apr 2022, 6:56 am
Season is pretty much back to normal , although the circuit has seen the loss of Sunderland, Yeovilton, Legends, Newcastle (N.I.) and East Fortune. Of those, only Sunderland have quoted Covid as a primary reason for cancellation.
However, Portrush and Teesside have returned to the circuit.
Newcastle also has said that due to covid there was insufficiant time to safely arrange a show ( that is disputed) However, a motion was passed at the March council meeting saying they are working to put it back on the calander for 2023.
Council officials say that due to the challenges in planning such a major festival, securing commitments from participants and with the uncertainty caused to date by the pandemic, organising this year’s event would not be possible.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Yeovilton and Legends are the two “big” ones missing from this year that I can think of, but plenty of others have put plans on ice or have potentially been lost entirely.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 17 Apr 2022, 5:53 pm
Yeovilton and Legends are the two “big” ones missing from this year that I can think of, but plenty of others have put plans on ice or have potentially been lost entirely.
A very sorry state of affairs 😢

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Redspan wrote:
Sun 17 Apr 2022, 6:24 am
Does the airshow calendar for 2022 look like it's back to full strength or are there still some obvious gaps?

Are any organisers still cancelling 'because of of Covid'?

Of the ones you plan to attend, will you be voluntarily be observing any restrictions e.g. face masks, even if only in certain areas?
Nope - unless they mandate it. It is time to get one's life back - if not now, then when? Nuclear war seems just around the corner, so grab it while you can. 'Innocent dreamers...' how cute.
Last edited by spellow3010 on Tue 19 Apr 2022, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’ll wear one “in certain areas” or where face masks help, such as poorly ventilated or enclosed spaces, but I can’t think of many places at an airshow that has such enclosed spaces.

Marquees/trade tents maybe, but even they are either so large as to make little difference, or usually have at least one side rolled up anyway.

Not sure what portion of my life that I had pre-pandemic is reclaimed by not wearing a face mask, but it’s almost certainly nowhere near the extent of the part of my life that enjoyed going to airshows and such events, and if wearing a face mask does, for whatever reason, end up being the price to pay for their return, then a bit of cloth on my face doesn’t seem a tall order.

Obviously that’s just me, though. I don’t begrudge anyone who believes or acts otherwise.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I agree that a mask inside, say, a hangar during a airshow is a small price to pay for having events back. I find masks a pretty easy thing to adhere to and they won't be needed much as most shows use outdoor spaces primarily.

I fear for Legends, it seems to be a show that has lost its way. Any way back for it do we think?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Legends and Duxford need to sort their issues, Duxford is the perfect place for it. However, the way IWM is run now I doubt they will be willing to concede on the money issues that have been long rumored to have caused the split.

As for masks, I will be wearing them indoors in places like hangars if there is a crowd and I feel at risk, I do in shopping centres etc but mostly it is a judgement call these days. Even if I have to wear a mask, life is pretty much back to pre-pandemic life.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

spellow3010 wrote:...Nope - unless they mandate it...
In which case it wouldn't be voluntary.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Oh yes, my mistake. But then the OP did state 'will you be voluntarily be observing any restrictions?' Surely a restriction isn't voluntary.

To be clear on my position - the answer is no. If there's a restriction (mandated and policed) then I will follow the rules.

With this all in mind, if masks make people feel more confident to get back out into the world and live their life, then good luck to them. No grief given by me to people that wear masks regardless - not even those you see walking down the street surrounded by no-one.

I was at El Centro show last month in the US. On base, there was no mask mandate, however they did say that if you wanted to wear one, then that's fine. And I would imagine that will probably be the approach.

Much of this about masks is about differing opinions, and that has it's own thread elsewhere on the forum which has been done literally to... well, death.

For what it's worth, I'm triple jabbed... and it's currently Omicron (I think... the media haven't played their part in whipping up the latest variant just yet).

I'm looking forward to being wedged into Park and View East at Fairford for the arrivals.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 20 Apr 2022, 8:08 am
With this all in mind, if masks make people feel more confident to get back out into the world and live their life, then good luck to them. No grief given by me to people that wear masks regardless - not even those you see walking down the street surrounded by no-one.
This is probably the best approach. If people feel safer with one, then that’s fine, or if people don’t want to wear one where one isn’t required, then that’s also fine.
spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 20 Apr 2022, 8:08 am
I'm looking forward to being wedged into Park and View East at Fairford for the arrivals.
#WestIsBest

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Tue 19 Apr 2022, 2:41 pm
Legends and Duxford need to sort their issues, Duxford is the perfect place for it. However, the way IWM is run now I doubt they will be willing to concede on the money issues that have been long rumored to have caused the split.
there's a number of reasons i've been told, not all of them are duxfords fault. but thats a discussion for another thread

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 20 Apr 2022, 2:09 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
Tue 19 Apr 2022, 2:41 pm
there's a number of reasons i've been told, not all of them are duxfords fault. but thats a discussion for another thread
Please feel free to start another Thread then? I luv a bit of 'if you knew what I know'! :zzz: