RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
stevebrodie

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by stevebrodie »

CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 10:16 am
In case anyone else was wondering, I have now had confirmation that the unexpected mention of lunch vouchers for those with viewing village tickets was indeed a mistake.
Me too, only because i asked, I still have an email saying i will get a lunch voucher, maybe i will take it with me lol
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Stu666

Post by Stu666 »

Just read the news that the Met Office has issued an Amber warning for potentially extreme heat this Sunday. I know we're still almost a week off...but should the forecast prove accurate, is it likely to cause issues for RIAT? Is there a point at which the people in charge would cancel on safety grounds?

reidms88

Post by reidms88 »

Just been watching the Black Eagles practicing over Farnborough for the last 30mins or so, which was great to see.

I Assume it was practice for RIAT rather than FIA as they're only doing a flypast for Farnborough i believe

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Stu666 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:35 pm
Just read the news that the Met Office has issued an Amber warning for potentially extreme heat this Sunday. I know we're still almost a week off...but should the forecast prove accurate, is it likely to cause issues for RIAT? Is there a point at which the people in charge would cancel on safety grounds?
I don't think so. Maybe we will have more frequent messages over the PA to not forget to drink enough, maybe mentioning the water bowsers at the service stations, but that will be it. Remember we had hot shows before that only saw particular acts effected (Harrier in its jubilee year of '96 springs to mind, as the temperature had risen above its limits, Also, DBH have said that after 2008 they had taken measures to prevent a cancellation for weather reasons in the future. I think that would also cover heat.
Last edited by aviodromefriend on Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

reidms88 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:40 pm
Just been watching the Black Eagles practicing over Farnborough for the last 30mins or so, which was great to see.

I Assume it was practice for RIAT rather than FIA as they're only doing a flypast for Farnborough i believe
Was missing a lot of the dynamic breaks and syncro part so guessing flypasts means like Southport the formation part, there was however a break at the end of the display at Farnborough
Thomas

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:41 pm
Stu666 wrote:
I don't think so. Maybe we will have more frequent messages over the PA to not forget to drink enough, maybe mentioning the water bowsers at the service stations, but that will be it. Remember we had hot shows before that only saw particular acts effected (Harrier in its jubilee year of '96 springs to mind, as the temperature had risen above its limits, Also, DBH have said that after 2008 they had taken measures to prevent a cancellation for weather reasons in the future. I think that would also cover heat.
Other countries consistently manage to stage airshows in heat (Dubai for example) without any issues. Not sure how my pasty skin will cope however! I have heard some stories about runways melting!! Does anyone here know the melting point of a runway?!

Meep

Post by Meep »

Stu666 wrote:
The forecast is approaching the territory it goes beyond a laughing matter personally.

30 plus degrees with little to no shade will cause issues, maybe only for a portion of attendees but it will definitely affect the younger and older visitors worse. I'd definitely prefer it drop even a few degrees to make it more enjoyable.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

snicker01 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:58 pm
aviodromefriend wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:41 pm
Stu666 wrote:
Other countries consistently manage to stage airshows in heat (Dubai for example) without any issues. Not sure how my pasty skin will cope however! I have heard some stories about runways melting!! Does anyone here know the melting point of a runway?!
If it's concrete, about 900 degrees C at which point it will crack rather than melting. Tarmac about 40-50 degrees, Remember that stated temperatures on weather forecasts are usually shade temperatures, the temperature of a surface in direct sunlight can be much higher.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

verreli

Post by verreli »

phreakf4 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 3:16 pm
Remember that stated temperatures on weather forecasts are usually shade temperatures, the temperature of a surface in direct sunlight can be much higher.
Especially if it's black which absorbs more photons than it reflects.

mbowde

Post by mbowde »

Was thinking the same thing - if the handstands are concrete then aircraft wise all should be OK, but a fully fuelled E4 for example! on tarmac? Guess it depends on the original pavement load bearing spec etc.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Nellis is usually hotter than this.

verreli

Post by verreli »

JMC wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 3:47 pm
That's why the runway is made of Bituminous Concrete.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

And why all the buildings around it have aircon etc.

I do have concerns about the temperatures. And going forwards, this is going to become the norm, and higher. At what point is the airshow calendar going to have to miss July and spread out further, do you think?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

JMC

Post by JMC »

verreli wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 3:54 pm
JMC wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 3:47 pm
That's why the runway is made of Bituminous Concrete.
Ah that explains that :laughing:

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

The forecast is approaching the territory it goes beyond a laughing matter personally.

30 plus degrees with little to no shade will cause issues, maybe only for a portion of attendees but it will definitely affect the younger and older visitors worse. I'd definitely prefer it drop even a few degrees to make it more enjoyable.
Agreed it will cause issues but it should not be a reason to curtail or cancel the event. Personal choice and responsiblity is what is required, just because little Johnny gets to hot why should the organisation alter the event. Yes there should always be adequate facilities at these events but there never are enough toilets / water stations / first aid posts because providing them costs money and personal which RIAT does not have. Sadly the nanny state will demand that more is done and ultimately that will lead to cancellation, just to be on the safe side. PS that last bit is mean to be a joke 😄😄😄

JMC

Post by JMC »

I think there's a hint of knicker wetting going on. I remember July 25th 2019 it hit 35. And I remember heatwaves when I was kid that lasted for weeks, getting into the un-air conditioned cars with the wind down windows feeling like a turkey in an oven! First RIAT that's been this hot and it's erupted into 'ahh it's too hot, will it get cancelled'. Anyone remember 2006 that was a scorcher too! We'll all look rather silly, if we get the rear end of this hot weather and have a thunderstorms.

Is it a concern? yes. But if you take the appropriate precautions you should be okay!

JMC

Post by JMC »

Just out of curiosity, i'm assuming some of the cockpits of older aircraft don't have air con right? (Wouldn't be the first time i'm wrong) God help those pilots if so!
Last edited by JMC on Mon 11 Jul 2022, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

JMC wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 4:04 pm
I think there's a hint of knicker wetting going on. I remember July 25th 2019 it hit 35. And I remember heatwaves when I was kid that lasted for weeks, getting into the un-air conditioned cars with the wind down windows feeling like a turkey in an oven! First RIAT that's been this hot and it's erupted into 'ahh it's too hot, will it get cancelled'. Anyone remember 2006 that was a scorcher too! We'll all look rather silly, if we get the rear end of this hot weather and have a thunderstorms.

Is it a concern? yes. But if you take the appropriate precautions you should be okay!
My very first RIAT was 2006 (Mig-29 OVT anyone!). That weekend was scorching. I was well and truly roasted and have been hooked ever since!

I distinctly remember the Saturday and Sunday during 2018 being very hot as well. We can't win in this country, its either raining or too hot. I know which i would rather have.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Yeah, many is the RIAT is the last 10-12 years that I've turned up cursing the low greyish cloud, or the rain showers - this year it looks like there'll be none of that. So let's enjoy these great aircraft getting to perform their full high shows for once. As long as you arrive prepared (sun-block, plenty of water (freeze it the night before), wear a hat of some kind, maybe something for some shade) we'll be fine & hopefully all have a great Air Tattoo :slight_smile:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

RIAT 2018 was a scorcher, that whole may june and july were so hot with no rain. After 3 year wait a brilliant lineup and sun cannot wait till wednesday!
Thomas

coanda

Post by coanda »

Batteries charged and cards cleared. Lens arrives tomorrow. Will get food and Diesel tomorrow after work, and then it's go time!

JMC

Post by JMC »

I think this got missed in the other topic as the pages changed, but I really really hope RIAT are on the ball with security this year on the crowdline. If climate protestors sit on a track in front of an F1 car, they'll do it on a runway given the opportunity. They'll be poised to blame RIAT for contributing to the heatwave!

Meep

Post by Meep »

JMC wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 4:04 pm

Insulting people is unnecessary and childish. Maybe bear in mind people on here may have circumstances other than yours where IT IS a valid concern

It's a valid issue, and given the weather warnings already put out by the authorities, if you are reacting like that to a bit of concern on a forum, you're going to be raging by the weekend as they'll be announcements at the show every 5 minutes about it.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Back on participation (or non- in this case), it's just occurred to me there's no OV-10 Bronco & Skyvan that attend every year pretty much. 😯

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Bodz156 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 5:30 pm
Back on participation (or non- in this case), it's just occurred to me there's no OV-10 Bronco & Skyvan that attend every year pretty much. 😯
Airbus seem to have replaced their yearly A400m demo with an beluga I guess, happy that I'll still see the bronco at Sanicole tho as it's a nice little aircraft to photograph.