RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
rockfordstone

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by rockfordstone »

BrawlerO wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 3:21 pm
Had never intended going this year, I've moved home and am based much further away than previously and figured the first post-pandemic show might be a bit lean but given the great weather forecast have booked a last minute ticket for Sunday. I haven't really looked at the line-up but I think I prefer this approach to the weekly angst of what might/might not happen and the disappointment when stuff cancels. It's a whole day of flying and loads of static stuff to wander around, I'm sure I'll be satisfied...
you will.
its still a packed line up, even without the B-52s

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:27 pm
AARDVARK wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm
B52’s cancelling are a massive loss to the USAF show piece, considering it was one of the major themes and leaves just the Osprey as sole USAF item flying!
Seem’s to me that the powers that be simply haven’t got behind RIAT’s 75 theme, E4B still fantastic scope and one of the star static items
I hope the USAF generals and big-wigs are suitably embarrassed that, in a field of multiple different displays from other European countries, that all they can manage on a USAF base is a single Osprey (though I love seeing an Osprey, so I’m happy it’s attending) in the flying.

Perhaps that’ll spurn them to support the show more than they have this year in the future.
That is one of the funniest posts I have read on here!

Hope it was meant as comedy?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

B-52s cancelling is a shame but it's still a hell of a show. Both cancelling from different units does make me think that there may be an airframe issue but who knows.

For those complaining about the theme, there's some nice civilian aircraft in there to represent the USAF too (I'm mostly talking about that lovely sabre) and there's an E-4 and a U-2... Nothing to be sniffed at!

It's also not that hot here (right now, anyway) so for those that are worried, just prepare and you'll be fine.

Dr_Q

Post by Dr_Q »

Gutted about the B-52s but not a lot we can do about it.
Hyped now, its RIAT after a break of 2 years, what's not to like, plenty to look forward to.
Can't do Arrivals this year (which is my favourite bit), but will be there in FRIAT Fri-Mon.
Happy Days.

RIAT (Mach 2)
Wings over Houston

er, that's about it this year I reckon.

daveseth

Post by daveseth »

Andyperkins wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 3:20 pm
MiG_Eater wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:12 pm
CJS wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 11:57 am
With the B-52 cancellation and hot weather on Saturday/Sunday I've decided I am not going on the weekend. I am looking for someone to swap tickets with. I have 2x Saturday tickets with the Swindon bus and I am looking for 2x Friday tickets.
Don't be too hasty, the lineups for the weekend are still extraordinary and really Friday doesn't come close. You can manage the weather if you're careful and you wouldn't want to regret a hasty decision, that's all I'm saying.
You'd be mad to cancel your tickets. When else are you going to (probably) see a Viggen, an A-4, a U-2 and/or an E-4B up close? How about a Hind or the Typhoon QRA display... plus there's the small matter of the Black Eagles!

Stick with it mate would be my advice :)
I have decided to only go on the Friday to and from what I can tell I will still get to see a Hind, the Typhoon QRA display and the Black Eagles plus the Viggen airborne as it arrives so going Friday isn't totally crazy :)

Whatever day people go though I am sure everyone will have a great time and the fact I have been able to convince my Dad to go up on the Friday after he flat out refused to go Sunday is a big bonus as has greatly missed them the last few years and with him getting up their in years this might be one of his last chances to attend so I am going to try and make it a good one.
i hope you and he have a great day, and he enjoys it...

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

I am from the Netherlands and flying down to the UK for RIAT for the first time. I've compared this lines lineup with the one from 2019 and 2018, and of course in both past years there have been special aircraft which attended but this year we're seeing alot of stuff we may see for the final time at an airshow as well. The cancle of the Buff is sad, but there is definetly of course a reason behind it which most likely may come out on a later timing. We just have to be happy with whatevers coming this year and be happy that everyone can hear the aircraft above Fairford again since 3 years. For the current world situation I am amazed it is still continiuing.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

In case anyone wanted to know when the Swedish Historic Flight will arrive

JMC

Post by JMC »

Excuse my ignorance as i’m not as in the know as some of you, but is there a possibility that the US having cancelled the BUFFS will try to see what else they can send? Or too short notice? Correct me if i’m wrong haven’t other air forces in the past sent things on the basis of ‘We tried to send this airframe but it wasn’t available so we were only able to send this…’

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Probably not.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 4:58 pm
In case anyone wanted to know when the Swedish Historic Flight will arrive
I was hoping the CH-53 would arrive on Thursday :cry:

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Black Eagles should arrive tomorrow at 10:00

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

disgruntled wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:28 pm
I know this has been asked lots of times including this year but I’ve been looking through the pages and can’t find it… so with apologies… A question about Thursday arrivals.

One of the reasons for not going to the main show days anymore is that my Dad who is approaching his 80s can’t manage the early starts anymore. So, if we were to arrive for say 0830 on the Thursday will there still be a decent enough spot for 2 without having tens of heads, arms, caps to contend with trying to get shots of the approach?

Sorry to ask a FAQ!
Hard to know what you mean by "approach" but from my experience in recent years there is plenty of space for you and your Dad to enjoy watching the aircraft flying in. The only part that tends to be a bit of a bun-fight (and people defend as their territory) is literally those that are 2-3 deep all along the rope line - ie so that there is no-one between you and the runway as the aircraft touchdown. The atmosphere is very friendly, space is plentiful and you will be well positioned to get great photo's of the arrivals even if not situated up against the rope.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

What time is everyone heading over in the morning and which end are you going to? :)

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

G-CVIX wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 6:48 pm
What time is everyone heading over in the morning and which end are you going to? :)
East for arrivals, West on Monday. The runway opens at 9.00am, so I'm aiming to be there for 8.30.
Mind you, I'm so hyped about the first RIAT for three years, I'll probably be up at 3.30, and queuing by 5.30...! :stuck_out_tongue:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I’ll be at east tomorrow morning! Can’t wait!!!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 8:02 pm
I’ll be at east tomorrow morning! Can’t wait!!!
Likewise!

john001

Post by john001 »

Anyone know if you can leave a step ladder in the Friat left luggage?

stu_h
UKAR Supporter

Post by stu_h »

Hope everyone has a great time tomorrow. Will be watching the stream while counting the hours until Saturday.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

john001 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm
Anyone know if you can leave a step ladder in the Friat left luggage?
Yes you can.

There’s a briefing/FAQ on the FRIAT members’ area of the RIAT website that covers most things.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Great to see you guys all excited as the days count down.

Hope you dont mind me asking a bit more about the Red/ Green zones. We wont be in the very front 10m, so I assume we wont see any of the runway, , I just want to roughly compare the 2 zones if you can help me (and others i hope). Im assuming most take off in the Blue zone and it will be packed as its the smallest area.

Red - Busier to get a spot, but closer to take off, so will be louder and will see the rear of the planes. Wont see them on the runway, but might be lucky if some take off whilst still in Red to see them lifting off. I do intend to try and sneak near the front just for one jet take off, so being in red already might be good.

Green - Will see the front of the planes as they take off , though the jets may already be going upwards fast before they get to Green. Likely to be more space in which to pick a spot to sit.

Thanks again guys.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Mr Benn wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 8:47 pm

Hope you dont mind me asking a bit more about the Red/ Green zones. We wont be in the very front 10m, so I assume we wont see any of the runway, , I just want to roughly compare the 2 zones if you can help me (and others i hope). Im assuming most take off in the Blue zone and it will be packed as its the smallest area.

Red - Busier to get a spot, but closer to take off, so will be louder and will see the rear of the planes. Wont see them on the runway, but might be lucky if some take off whilst still in Red to see them lifting off.

Green - Will see the front of the planes as they take off , though the jets may already be going upwards fast before they get to Green. Likely to be more space in which to pick a spot to sit.

Thanks again guys.
You might be able to get up to the rope in Green zone meaning you can see the runway. I did on the Sunday in 2017. Went right to the end of the Green zone and found it very quiet. These were taken from there as they taxied

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Green - away from the crowdline - is my preferred location for watching the display. I'm on my phone so can't embed these properly., sorry

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Mr Benn wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 8:47 pm

Red - Busier to get a spot, but closer to take off, so will be louder and will see the rear of the planes. Wont see them on the runway, but might be lucky if some take off whilst still in Red to see them lifting off.

Thanks again guys.
You’re right, the viewing lawns do slope slightly. At the eastern (red) the slope works in your favour, you can get a decent view with lots of space if you’re back from the crowdline. The hangars are directly opposite you.

The western (green) half is less busy, you may get on the rope at a later time, but the runway is kind of up and over slightly raised ground so the wheels can be ‘missing’ on your photos. But, now that Rhymes Farm over the runway is cleared, you have a nice background.

Having tried both over the years it’s kind of six and two threes. I have a preference but wouldn’t want to influence you too much as you’ll have a good show at either.!

Edit: as I hit submit it occurred to me that where you’re parked will be a factor too. It takes a while to get from one end to the other with your chairs so you may want to make the most of the end that’s closest. Unless you come in Blue, bang in the middle :-)

(As an aside the final straw that drove me back to FRIAT after a few years away was being one of the first in through blue and when I got to the rope the front line was gone. Obviously one or two of the other gates had opened first)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I've just noticed there's no 621VGS Historic aircraft down to attend this year, which I find surprising considering the theme!