RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by CJS »

Meep wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 5:26 pm
I don't think anyone was being stupid with the heat warnings so having a go at people is just being immature and childish.

The reality is was people showed concern because its a serious issue. Its great so many people enjoyed it safely, its also unfortunate that the weather meant some people did suffer, or couldn't go at all.

So rather than having a go at people for being concerned, why not just be grateful you had a good show, because some people couldn't.
If people didn't go due to the heat that's entirely their choice and the opposite of stupid, clearly.
Some people however were reacting in a stupid way - in my opinion - to the fact the temperature was due to get to about 30° today.

If my opinion is childish to you then I apologise.

#pinkwafer

(Remember the pink wafer...)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

For some the heat is a concern...for others it can be dealt with. I've been to some absolutely roasting airshows down the years, including one in the USA where the temp hit 41. There will always be idiots who don't put on sun block, leave their dog in the car, fail to look after their kids, don't get the concept of hydrating and then blame establishment for not warning them when it all goes wrong. So the establishment feel obliged to go into overdrive whenever there is anything out of the ordinary weather wise....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 3:10 pm
As for the hot weather there was lots of irresponsible people. Pregnant women.
Not once but twice! Terribly irresponsible. I do hope they were married! Think of the scandal.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

canard67

Post by canard67 »

I think the hottest was 1989 or 1991 when the static was about 2 miles long with an endless line of KC135s . The hottest spot was in a staff feeder provided by the RAF . The poor guys doing the cooking were in full chefs outfits and working over large cooking ranges. They looked more cooked than the food.

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 6:01 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 3:10 pm
As for the hot weather there was lots of irresponsible people. Pregnant women.
Not once but twice! Terribly irresponsible. I do hope they were married! Think of the scandal.
🌞🙈🤣 too funny...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The RIAT team have excelled themselves. all the organisation seemed to work, including for me the car parking, a stunning grouping of aircraft and all the buzz of a traditional tattoo.
Good to meet with Chris and his spotter of the future son (complete with his own airshow t-shirt)
Good to meet Bill my next door neighbour in the FRIAT stand who is a long time UKAR lurker.
My favourites, the E-4, SWAFHF and the Austrian Typhoons with the Frecce putting the Red Arrows to shame as usual.

(and I even got to see "Maverick")
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

CJS

Post by CJS »

iainpeden wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 6:22 pm
Good to meet with Chris and his spotter of the future son (complete with his own airshow t-shirt)
Great to catch up Iain - he had a great day and made it until just after the RAF Typhoon - we watched the French Mirage team and the F-35 walking back to the car and most of the F-16 while the aircon got going!

The t-shirt was only the beginning too - I'm just going to leave a massive and public thank you here to Adam from RIAT ATC who kindly met us and was just lovely with my son - he has come away from the day excited and exhausted - and Adam you added significantly to that. He spent the Royal Jordanian Falcons display clipping all the tags to his backpack! And when his Calippo went for a surprise trip down the inside of his t-shirt, he also got to try on his ATC top while the other one dried off (let's just say he can 'grow in to it'!!).

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Have to say this week has been the best riat for me. First time camping so a lot of stress removed. On Saturday I didn’t have people virtually climbing all over me like I normally do on the weekend show. The flying outstanding and the static line up was incredible. I don’t personally know any of the organisers or the team but I just want to say thank you for making this week incredible even with the toasty weather

tomkil

Post by tomkil »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 7:30 pm
Have to say this week has been the best riat for me. First time camping so a lot of stress removed. On Saturday I didn’t have people virtually climbing all over me like I normally do on the weekend show. The flying outstanding and the static line up was incredible. I don’t personally know any of the organisers or the team but I just want to say thank you for making this week incredible even with the toasty weather
Agreed, it was a superb show and the organisers deserve huge credit.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Loved it, Friday walked the static, Saturday in the grandstand and Sunday in the Cotswold Club. Have to agree with the comments re the QRA display, outstanding. Just one request for next year to Air Ops - Peter, can you turn the thermostat down a couple of notches 21,22, 23 would be fine Oh and how about a few white fluffy clouds at 4 to 5,000 ft over the North side hangars. Only moan is that we now have to wait 12 months for the next one.

CJS

Post by CJS »

JMC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 5:54 pm
CJS of course I was being tongue in cheek!

& i’ve been to hotter RIAT’s.
Thought so - that makes one of you 😉 🤣

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

I spent just the one day at the show this year... Saturday. I was planning to go to the departures tomorrow but a long drive coupled with the high temps and I've decided against it.
Thoughts on the show.....
It was the first year that i decided to ignore the pre show comments, social media etc as i wanted to be 'surprised' on the day, and not disappointed when things cancel or don't turn up, so apart from the Black Eagles i had no idea what was appearing (like the good old days!) Despite the current situation in Ukraine plus the fallout from Covid and not holding a show for 3 years i was amazed how good the show was. A great participation list, with some gems here and there, a packed flying programme, and a static that was really full and well laid out. I was particularly pleased that the Western apron was almost fully used, and having some of the display aircraft there also made it feel 'full'.

My highlights in the static....E4B, Portugese Epsilons, Hungarian Hind, Swedish Historics, Romanian AN30, Japanese Kawasaki and of course the cracking A-4 - how nice was that! Can we have it flying next year please! 😁

The flying seemed jam packed and highlights for me were the Black Eagles and the brilliant Austrian QRA demo (RAF take some notes on making a display interesting). The Belgian F16 was awesome, probably the best I've seen, and the Greek machine was also great to see. The Slovenian PC9 was very polished, as were the other Pilatus teams although i think the French routine works better with jet noise! The Czech Mil helo pair was very unique and great to see, and the Gripens and F-18s were as always very impressive. Nice to see the Beluga too.

Negatives....not much really, i thought the USAF anniversary was a bit tame, especially in the air, and could have been better. Shame the B52 cancelled as I was really looking forward to seeing one again. The off base parking was a pain at the red end as it's a bl##dy long walk back after 12 hours. There was obviously a reason for it? Oh yeh and it was 'ot! 🥵
Overall a really great Tattoo, that seemed to get back to basics. Sure there were no absolute jaw dropping rarities (unless you've not seen the Koreans before) but overall a cracking participation list. Let's hope for the same next year. Well done to all the team involved. Roll on 2023.

Ps. I'm pretty sure '89 was hotter! 🥵😁

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

09 departures mean East is best for P and V then?
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I made the mistake of walking downwind of the toilet blocks in Red... Think London Zoo elephant house!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:54 pm
I made the mistake of walking downwind of the toilet blocks in Red... Think London Zoo elephant house!
I know exactly what you mean it was lingering near the food area 😂

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

binbrook87 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:22 pm
I spent just the one day at the show this year... Saturday. I was planning to go to the departures tomorrow but a long drive coupled with the high temps and I've decided against it.
Thoughts on the show.....
It was the first year that i decided to ignore the pre show comments, social media etc as i wanted to be 'surprised' on the day, and not disappointed when things cancel or don't turn up, so apart from the Black Eagles i had no idea what was appearing (like the good old days!) Despite the current situation in Ukraine plus the fallout from Covid and not holding a show for 3 years i was amazed how good the show was. A great participation list, with some gems here and there, a packed flying programme, and a static that was really full and well laid out. I was particularly pleased that the Western apron was almost fully used, and having some of the display aircraft there also made it feel 'full'.

My highlights in the static....E4B, Portugese Epsilons, Hungarian Hind, Swedish Historics, Romanian AN30, Japanese Kawasaki and of course the cracking A-4 - how nice was that! Can we have it flying next year please! 😁

The flying seemed jam packed and highlights for me were the Black Eagles and the brilliant Austrian QRA demo (RAF take some notes on making a display interesting). The Belgian F16 was awesome, probably the best I've seen, and the Greek machine was also great to see. The Slovenian PC9 was very polished, as were the other Pilatus teams although i think the French routine works better with jet noise! The Czech Mil helo pair was very unique and great to see, and the Gripens and F-18s were as always very impressive. Nice to see the Beluga too.

Negatives....not much really, i thought the USAF anniversary was a bit tame, especially in the air, and could have been better. Shame the B52 cancelled as I was really looking forward to seeing one again. The off base parking was a pain at the red end as it's a bl##dy long walk back after 12 hours. There was obviously a reason for it? Oh yeh and it was 'ot! 🥵
Overall a really great Tattoo, that seemed to get back to basics. Sure there were no absolute jaw dropping rarities (unless you've not seen the Koreans before) but overall a cracking participation list. Let's hope for the same next year. Well done to all the team involved. Roll on 2023.

Ps. I'm pretty sure '89 was hotter! 🥵😁
I think all the red car park was inside the base this year, unless I missed something. Albeit quite a trek if you were walking to/from the Blue and Green ends - Fairford is a big place. The field opposite the airfield on the Whelford to Kempsford road, previously used for parking, is now a campsite - the official one I assume.

Sargares

Post by Sargares »

Great show. Shame about the Austrians on Sunday. Static line up was excellent. Enjoyed the flying too. Helicopters where solid. Both f16’s great although it seems all the f16 teams do a good job.
Frecce tricolore knocked the snot out of the red arrows. I thought Frecce’s chaser was better than the black eagles equivalents also although the black eagles formation changes where even slicker than frecce’s and they were a little busier.

Usaf weak effort on the flying although e4b made up for most of their sins. RAF typhoon demo was very classic tornado display to me although for me it just isn’t as fun when flown like that as a Tonka is.

Roll on next year!

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Kip Casper wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:35 pm
I think they may not react if the wind remains below 10kts. BBC showing 7kts max up to 1300. ATC did say wherever they could they would use 27.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Great day overall, especially given the challenges from the last couple of years and the higher than average temperatures. Great to see some fast jets again, a few too many ‘meh’ acts but with an 8+ hour show you need comfort breaks and lunch…I think I’ve had my quota of ‘Pilates’ for a few years now but at least that’s the ‘training’ theme done for a while.
Enjoyed the Hind and HiP, Black Eagles were awesome, first part of the QRA demo, RAF Tornado, Swiss F18 and the good old Frecce. (Also the Spartan doing his dive-bomb landing above my head lol).
Think everyone involved in putting together the event should be congratulated.
Also, not sure what people were saying about red parking being off base, I was parked on the hard standing in front of the Red entrance…?

CJS

Post by CJS »

tankbuster wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm
Kip Casper wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:35 pm
I think they may not react if the wind remains below 10kts. BBC showing 7kts max up to 1300. ATC did say wherever they could they would use 27.
RIAT ATC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:13 pm
From the ATC thread

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

Regarding the off base parking, I arrived about 6.30am and the parking signs for the red car park took us LEFT near the old bomb dump (coming from Whelford) and onto the camping field. It's been used in years gone by so I thought they'd gone back to that. There were hundreds of cars being parked up in there with no other visible signs getting onto the base. Only when I was walking across the road did I see cars then driving straight onto the base.. but I thought these were permit holders or something?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

My dad used red on Saturday and got directed behind the cadet camp to a random field. Looks like the people who arrived later got the hard standing

AndyJohn68

Post by AndyJohn68 »

A very good RIAT in my opinion. Obvious highlights such as Black Eagles, Austrian QRA, Belgian F16, Swiss F18, but also some surprise stars for me - I really enjoyed the Sokol and Hind/Hip displays. And though I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, Baby Blue put on a very fine display. Just wonder how long I will stand the heat for departures.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

CJS wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 7:12 pm
iainpeden wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 6:22 pm
Great to catch up Iain - he had a great day and made it until just after the RAF Typhoon - we watched the French Mirage team and the F-35 walking back to the car and most of the F-16 while the aircon got going!

The t-shirt was only the beginning too - I'm just going to leave a massive and public thank you here to Adam from RIAT ATC who kindly met us and was just lovely with my son - he has come away from the day excited and exhausted - and Adam you added significantly to that. He spent the Royal Jordanian Falcons display clipping all the tags to his backpack! And when his Calippo went for a surprise trip down the inside of his t-shirt, he also got to try on his ATC top while the other one dried off (let's just say he can 'grow in to it'!!).
You are very welcome Chris and it was my pleasure meeting your Adam!

I hope he looks back on his first airshow experience with fondness and remembers it for a long time (one of my first memories is watching an airshow at Plymouth Airport in 1983 I think.

Maybe next year we can have a bit more time, my break was poorly timed just before the Reds!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

binbrook87 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:26 pm
Regarding the off base parking, I arrived about 6.30am and the parking signs for the red car park took us LEFT near the old bomb dump (coming from Whelford) and onto the camping field. It's been used in years gone by so I thought they'd gone back to that. There were hundreds of cars being parked up in there with no other visible signs getting onto the base. Only when I was walking across the road did I see cars then driving straight onto the base.. but I thought these were permit holders or something?
I see - I used the right-hand lane coming from Whelford and was just directed straight through the exit/crash gate (E) onto the base at around 7am. The downside to that was getting out later. I never know if that large field used previously (and currently!) for parking/camping is part of the airfield or just private land/a farmers field - and RIAT 'rent it out' for the six days.