US Tour

Arrange to meet fellow members at a particular event/location
Fox

US Tour

Post by Fox »

I will be in the USA between 11th May and the 8th June, traveling from Pennsylvania through Virginia, North & South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and back up through to Pennsylvania. It's a mixture of work and pleasure so there will be time to visit specific places on the way round.

Are there any suggestions on particular locations to visit from an airshow/museum point of view - especially warbird related - that anyone has visited or come across before. A few years ago on the west side of the USA, I found countless little museums just by looking at the local tourist board displays in the various hotels I stayed at. I will no doubt do the same this time but thought I would check out the mine of information on here first :smile: :up:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: US Tour

Post by jalfrezi »

Have a look on here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aerospace_museums, the museums are sorted by state.

Though I think the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center should be a definite visit on your way through Virginia.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Make time to visit Gettysburg. Start with the visitor centre where you can see a documentary and then view the "cyclorama" and then take the bus tour of the battlefield - truely awsome to stand where Lee watched Pickett's troops march a mile straight into the Union cannon. If you stop there, the Gettysburg hotel is very comfy and the pub over the road serves great food and good beer (which for the USA is saying something). A trip around the USS Wisconsin at Norfolk is also worth doing.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Fox

Post by Fox »

Many thanks guys - much appreciated :win:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

We do expect a full photo report of your visit of course!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

As a brief break from aviation, you can't do much better then a visit to Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP