Raf Marham

Arrange to meet fellow members at a particular event/location
edhunter

Raf Marham

Post by edhunter »

I'm thinking of going to Marham in the not to distant future and I don't drive, so I'm after any tips as where to stay and best way to get there using public transport. I'm not bothered about the cost . I'm also interested in the best area to view the aircraft on the ground and in the air.

speedbird2639

Re: RAF Marham

Post by speedbird2639 »

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... marham.php

Due to current combat operations you may find Marham is less welcoming to those wishing to view the flying at the moment - if you do visit and see any suspicious vehicles or activity, please report it to the guardroom on 01760 337694. Also please note that the land at each end of the main runway 06/24 is farmland and the farmers are extremely sensitive to people abusing their hospitality and walking through crops.

I'm not sure I'd bother in that climate but all the info is on that page if you are still interested. Hotel-wise I would guess Tripadvisor is as good as any.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

There is a bus from Kings Lynn which goes to or through Marham, not sure how often it runs though.

Marham isn't that busy at the moment, roughly 5 or 6 movements a day :sad: Have a look on FC where we keep tracks of the movements http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 78#p920478

Just to depress everyone a rough split of remaining GR4s

GR4 - 36
GR4A - 3
GR4T - 7

Of that spilt 8.. are in Cyprus, 3 are at Coningsby
Gary

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Bloody hell, that few? Crikey...

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Yep, since I wrote that split another couple of gone to RTP so now it should be

GR4 - 36
GR4A - 2
GR4T - 6

41(R) TES are rumoured to be stopping Tornado ops in the coming weeks rather than April, so that will be another 3 at Marham or RTP
Gary

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

With talk of 'slowing' the already extended delivery of F-35 to suit MOD spending constraints, isn't it about time somebody in Government with sufficient grasp on reality reviewed this situation ?
If the Tornado is worn-out & F-35 is going to be later than Amazon's Tax payments, where is the joined-up thinking that links the shortfall? (that's not F-35 & Amazon! :biggrin: )

Craig

Post by Craig »

A "capability holiday". I still reckon as soon as Typhoon is fully cleared on Brimstone and Storm Shadow Tornado will go. The early retirement of 41 sqn's suggests to me this isn't far off. 41 finish with Tornado this week by the way if anyone didn't know.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Craig wrote:A "capability holiday". I still reckon as soon as Typhoon is fully cleared on Brimstone and Storm Shadow Tornado will go. The early retirement of 41 sqn's suggests to me this isn't far off. 41 finish with Tornado this week by the way if anyone didn't know.

Went hunting them in the Loop on Thursday - Rebel87, a 41TES bird (ZA560 "EB-Q") flew over the top at about 1,000 but decided not to go LL... :sad: (incidentally without underwing tanks?)

Still managed a grey and un-marked Marham jet later on, though... No idea of its Sqn as it was operating on a "Marham" callsign - Goldstars, maybe?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Do you remember what number it was after Marham? Only IX(B) and 31 are home. 12(B) are on their finally Shander rotation.
Gary

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

138EAW wrote:Do you remember what number it was after Marham? Only IX(B) and 31 are home. 12(B) are on their finally Shander rotation.

Marham36, iirc.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Should be a IX(B) pilot with that number :smile:
Gary

Craig

Post by Craig »

Tommy wrote:
Craig wrote:A "capability holiday". I still reckon as soon as Typhoon is fully cleared on Brimstone and Storm Shadow Tornado will go. The early retirement of 41 sqn's suggests to me this isn't far off. 41 finish with Tornado this week by the way if anyone didn't know.

Went hunting them in the Loop on Thursday - Rebel87, a 41TES bird (ZA560 "EB-Q") flew over the top at about 1,000 but decided not to go LL... :sad: (incidentally without underwing tanks?)

Still managed a grey and un-marked Marham jet later on, though... No idea of its Sqn as it was operating on a "Marham" callsign - Goldstars, maybe?

Yeah I noticed that on the shots from CBY, I wonder if they've already moved a lot of the kit out? These days it's not exactly common for 41 to have 2 flying Tornados so they may only have one set. Be interesting to see if the two remaining jets head to Marham or straight for RTP.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

138EAW wrote:Do you remember what number it was after Marham? Only IX(B) and 31 are home. 12(B) are on their finally Shander rotation.

Don't you mean "Shader", as in "Operation Shader", Gary? :dizzy:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Craig wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Yeah I noticed that on the shots from CBY, I wonder if they've already moved a lot of the kit out? These days it's not exactly common for 41 to have 2 flying Tornados so they may only have one set. Be interesting to see if the two remaining jets head to Marham or straight for RTP.

Well both were flying - heard Rebel87 & Rebel88 on the scanner, and both R'dTB at CBY on Thursday...

Shame, I had hoped a retirement blast-around was in order, but maybe this week'll do the trick.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Tommy wrote:
Craig wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Well both were flying - heard Rebel87 & Rebel88 on the scanner, and both R'dTB at CBY on Thursday...

Shame, I had hoped a retirement blast-around was in order, but maybe this week'll do the trick.

Yep you're right both flew but I suspect just because it was the retirement "do" I don't think it's been common for a while. No need for the tanks for a toddle round and a couple of flypasts I guess.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

ZA560 & ZA607 are meant to be standard GR4 so can go back to the squadron, speaking to a 41(R) pilot a while ago the last major upgrade the TES were involved in for the GR4s was the TCAS mod which has been rolled out to the fleet. Since then it's been laser and the work on the upgraded DMS Brimstone and the secret stuff 41 does. The highly modded GR4s went to RTP a while ago.

The aviation society i'm involved with had a tour around Marham ejection seat repair shop this wee. Sadly due to work commitment I couldn't go. There were two seats with ZA607 / 070 number on them being overhauled. Which will be fitted once it arrives at Marham on Tuesday

Big Eric wrote:

Early start wasn't fully awake then I wrote that :grin:
Gary

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

138EAW wrote:ZA560 & ZA607 are meant to be standard GR4 so can go back to the squadron, speaking to a 41(R) pilot a while ago the last major upgrade the TES were involved in for the GR4s was the TCAS mod which has been rolled out to the fleet. Since then it's been laser and the work on the upgraded DMS Brimstone and the secret stuff 41 does. The highly modded GR4s went to RTP a while ago.

The aviation society i'm involved with had a tour around Marham ejection seat repair shop this wee. Sadly due to work commitment I couldn't go. There were two seats with ZA607 / 070 number on them being overhauled. Which will be fitted once it arrives at Marham on Tuesday

Big Eric wrote:

Early start wasn't fully awake then I wrote that :grin:

by all intents it was a pretty good tour around which lasted until around 2200!

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

Stagger2 wrote:With talk of 'slowing' the already extended delivery of F-35 to suit MOD spending constraints, isn't it about time somebody in Government with sufficient grasp on reality reviewed this situation ?
If the Tornado is worn-out & F-35 is going to be later than Amazon's Tax payments, where is the joined-up thinking that links the shortfall? (that's not F-35 & Amazon! :biggrin: )

Most of the F-35 "flying" will be done in simulators. Marham is going to be a dead duck even when these things are on the tarmac, there won't be much flying by them each week, if any.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Beefy,

Reports say it will be about a 50 50 split, between simulator and actually flying on F-35 but the sim portion might increase later. Still mean Marham will never been like Coningsby etc. With around 8 daily flight from Marham with the Tornados ops, the base might still see some increase of flying when F-35 arrives :grin:

Best chance of seeing a F-35 will be after the OCU arrives in 2019
Gary

austinp

Post by austinp »

Hi.

Anyone know if flying from Marham will be taking place over Easter? I'm thinking of going either this Wednesday or the following one (work permitting).

Cheers.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

NOTAMed closed today, but I’m expecting it to be open tomorrow through til Thursday. Need to use the opportunity of being just down the road in Elveden to get there myself sometime in the week.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast