Spotting or museums near Rome

Arrange to meet fellow members at a particular event/location
Jakesplanes

Spotting or museums near Rome

Post by Jakesplanes »

Hello folks, off to Italy just south of Rome in May for 10 days. Does anyone know of any easily accessable aviation stuff that i can slip out of the hotel for one day for?
Much appreciated!
Jake
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Spotting or museums near Rome

Post by Tommy »

I’m sure there’s probably a few wrecks and relics about the place. Check Eurodemobbed: http://www.eurodemobbed.org.uk/locations.php?country=53

It’s probably not as accessible, but if you can organise a bus or taxi or something, the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna De Valle to the North is one of the finest aviation museums I have ever visited.

This is quite a good resource, too http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/World/Euro ... /index.htm

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Thanks Tommy
IG profile "jakesplanes"

roger

Post by roger »

I would also vote for the museum at Vigna da Valle.

I went from Rome on the local train - took about an hour and was very cheap. However note that the station at Vigna da Valle is a country halt with no taxis and about 3 miles from the museum - a pleasant walk on a nice day as we found out! If I went again I might stay on the train to the next town at Bracciano and try to find a bus or taxi there.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

roger wrote:I would also vote for the museum at Vigna da Valle.

I went from Rome on the local train - took about an hour and was very cheap. However note that the station at Vigna da Valle is a country halt with no taxis and about 3 miles from the museum - a pleasant walk on a nice day as we found out! If I went again I might stay on the train to the next town at Bracciano and try to find a bus or taxi there.

agreed ...Worth the trip and the pleasant walk

AMB

Post by AMB »

roger wrote:I would also vote for the museum at Vigna da Valle.

I have done it from Vigna di Valle station, but surprised no signs to the museum from the station, so you need to turn right out of the station and keep walking down a hill towards the lake. It started to rain when we were in museum but were very lucky to meet an English couple there who gave us a lift back to the station. Trains are very frequent back to Rome, so no real problem. Great museum, well worth the effort.
Adrian

nuuumannn

Post by nuuumannn »

I went to Vigna di Valle this summer and followed the widely known means of getting there and figured out it could be done much faster! I caught a train from San Pietro to Vigna di Valle, station, then had to wait because no taxi would take me to the museum! I eventually got there as the guy running the bar/shop where you ring a taxi talked an off-duty cab driver to take me, so I tipped him generously. What didn't help was that I caught the wrong train, so had to get off and wait for half an hour for one to Vigna di Valle!

The easiest way to get there is from any train station in Rome on the line that goes to Bracchiano, or Lago di Bracchiano. Get a ticket to Bracchiano, NOT Vigna di Valle. Trains only go to Vigna di Valle once an hour but go to Bracchiano more often. On arrival at Bracchiano, which is a delightful village on the lake side, there are always taxis waiting outside the station in summer and they charge about 15 Euro to the museum, which is not much at all considering the museum is free. This is the way I left the museum to return to Rome, which was too easy, especially after stuffing about trying to get there.

ImageMC.200