RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
pb643

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by pb643 »

BossMann wrote:I believe that the RAF Waddington Airshow director will be involved with the new Scampton show so there is a possibility of the new show being the best of Waddington and RIAT combined!

Local rumour mill suggests no more than 20 statics at Scampton, with most dispaly aircraft operating from Waddington. So unlikely to be comparable to Waddington on the size of the static display. Though I emphasize it is only rumour.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

I really hope the rumour mill is decidly wrong otherwise this event will be in for some serious bashing.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

pb643 wrote:
BossMann wrote:I believe that the RAF Waddington Airshow director will be involved with the new Scampton show so there is a possibility of the new show being the best of Waddington and RIAT combined!

Local rumour mill suggests no more than 20 statics at Scampton, with most dispaly aircraft operating from Waddington. So unlikely to be comparable to Waddington on the size of the static display. Though I emphasize it is only rumour.

That sounds perfectly viable. It is not going to be like the Air Tattoo, not even close.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Chris G wrote:I really hope the rumour mill is decidly wrong otherwise this event will be in for some serious bashing.

Really? Already? Give the show a chance.
Think of events like Biggin Hill Air Fair - we didn't get people complaining about the static there..

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

:wall:

They've made it clear that the first years show will be smaller in order to help find the events feet and for the team to learn what the locations potential is.

A very quick study of Scampton highlights that number of operational pans appears to be very limited.

Reading the taxiway markings.etc it appears the majority of concrete standing areas/pans and the entire north side taxiway network of the airfield are potentially not operational/cleared for use; I have no information to say either way if these have been maintained to a suitable standard or not. Also, I note the active length of the runway appears reduced at one end.

To therefore expect a large static display and for most flying acts to operate from the airfield is, in my honest opinion, an unreasonable and unrealistic expectation. Of course I will love it if the team prove me wrong though.

To sum up, they haven't even placed tickets on sale yet, give the show a chance to prove itself ffs.

Andy

XP282

Post by XP282 »

pb643 wrote:Local rumour mill suggests no more than 20 statics at Scampton, with most dispaly aircraft operating from Waddington. So unlikely to be comparable to Waddington on the size of the static display. Though I emphasize it is only rumour.

I wouldn't believe the local rumour mill... It's just that... Rumour. Before project propeller was cancelled here a few weeks ago they were expecting over 100 visiting aircraft (and before people shoot me down, I do appreciate that there is a big difference between 100 cessnas and a military airshow). However, there are already over 20 aircraft on the base today and there is still plenty of ramp space.

There is the issue of where to put the flying acts, and I suspect that Waddington will be considered, but there is room on the old lazy runway to do something here too.

I think it has the potential to be a great show.... Even just looking at the static, I expect an F4 (maybe 2!), SU22 and a buccaneer.... Many of the people on this forum would travel the length of the country to see that.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Interesting to go from nothing to a Phantom (or two), Buccaneer and Fitter! Do they have these lying around at Scampton to be put on display? Maybe they do, if not it's an interesting first prediction, that's all :-)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

CJS wrote:Interesting to go from nothing to a Phantom (or two), Buccaneer and Fitter! Do they have these lying around at Scampton to be put on display? Maybe they do, if not it's an interesting first prediction, that's all :-)

Hawker Hunter Aviation are based at Scampton.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

CJS wrote:Interesting to go from nothing to a Phantom (or two), Buccaneer and Fitter! Do they have these lying around at Scampton to be put on display? Maybe they do, if not it's an interesting first prediction, that's all :-)

HHA currently have an airworthy Bucc and Su-22 at Scampton (although not flying as there is no contract for them to fly). In addition they have an F-4F to be used a spares source.

A second airworthy F-4F is flying across from Germany some time in the near future. It will be home based at Scampton and will be maintained there but will operate from within Germany whilst on contract.

Andy

XP282

Post by XP282 »

CJS. Yes, as other have already said, these aircraft are already at Scampton (along with several hunters). Oh, and I forgot to mention the Nimrod forward fuselage! Of course there is no guarantee that HHA will bring their aircraft on onto the display line, but they are regularly on show for the families day up here so it would be nice to think that they will be out for the airshow. Of course I am just speculating, but I would be surprised if they weren't there.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well there you go, I had no idea there was an airworthy Buccaneer in the UK! Thanks chaps, every day's a school day ;-)

pb643

Post by pb643 »

CJS wrote:Well there you go, I had no idea there was an airworthy Buccaneer in the UK! Thanks chaps, every day's a school day ;-)

I think potentially airworthy is a fairer description. I don't think the Buccaneer has run its engines in many years, probably since its arrival at Scampton. However the Su22 was certainly doing anti det runs up until a few years ago, I don't know if they have continued? The Su22 was in the Scampton heritage museum hanger late last year, along with a Hunter. The Buccaneer was in one of the HHA hangers.

Phil

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Before everyone runs out of Kleenex at the thought of HHA deploying the better lump of their inventory aloft for display flying purposes, I have it on good authority that they are forbidden from display flying, the chap who told me this was one of the ground crew during a visit to Yeovilton a year or two back. The reason he gave was that they are no longer on the civil register but military one? I find it strange myself as I'd have thought being on the military register would have provided greater opportunity to fly at public events. Who knows, it may change and we could end up with a UK answer to the SWAFHF! :biggrin:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Finningley Boy wrote:Before everyone runs out of Kleenex at the thought of HHA deploying the better lump of their inventory aloft for display flying purposes, I have it on good authority that they are forbidden from display flying, the chap who told me this was one of the ground crew during a visit to Yeovilton a year or two back. The reason he gave was that they are no longer on the civil register but military one? I find it strange myself as I'd have thought being on the military register would have provided greater opportunity to fly at public events. Who knows, it may change and we could end up with a UK answer to the SWAFHF! :biggrin:

When I visited HHA a few years ago, they told me it simply wasn't worth the time, hassle and expense to bring in a relatively tiny income from display flying. There was simply no possibility of covering the costs involved.

Phil

XP282

Post by XP282 »

I'm not suggesting that HHA's aircraft will fly at Scampton... I'm simply saying that I would expect to see their aircraft in the static park as they do in the families day.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

pb643,

That doe sound like a more a more plausible explanation.

Mind you, perhaps for the homestead there may be some kind of concession afoot, i.e. operating locally etc!? :cuppa:

I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

flight79

Post by flight79 »

when are tickets due out ?

CJS

Post by CJS »

flight79 wrote:when are tickets due out ?

Is that an actual question? :wall: :lol:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

yes it is just wanted to know :handbag: :lmao:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

it was a joke :lmao:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Utterly hilarious. :facepalm:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

:lmao: :lmao:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Nice full A4 page advert for the RAF Scampton Airshow next september in the RIAT souvenir programme, with tickets being available from Autumn 2016!

At least the RIAT team taking their 'new' show seriously!

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

XP282 wrote:I'm not suggesting that HHA's aircraft will fly at Scampton... I'm simply saying that I would expect to see their aircraft in the static park as they do in the families day.

Does anybody think there might be a chance that any of the HHA's assets could be brought out for a full-power taxi run as part of the show? Their website suggests the SU-22 is kept in just such a condition - unless that information is now out of date...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

duffspeed wrote:
XP282 wrote:I'm not suggesting that HHA's aircraft will fly at Scampton... I'm simply saying that I would expect to see their aircraft in the static park as they do in the families day.

Does anybody think there might be a chance that any of the HHA's assets could be brought out for a full-power taxi run as part of the show? Their website suggests the SU-22 is kept in just such a condition - unless that information is now out of date...

Having chatted to the HHA reps with the Hunter at Fairford they seemed very supportive of the shows and suggested they might have a Phantom with them at Fairford next year. As to your question, and this is an uneducated guess, if the airfame is available, all the training is in place and the run would be cost neutral then I would think it's a reaonable hope.
The organisers at RIAT are very experienced in asking for special items - have fath in them because they'll get it if possible.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)