RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
XX752

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017?

Post by XX752 »

pb643 wrote:
Unknown74 wrote:The show in 1991 at Scampton was pretty good. Did anyone else go to that? I seem to remember Waddington was just starting out with E-3 Sentries and a NATO Aircraft landed as we were leaving to go South.

I attended both airshows at Scampton held in recent decades. I must admit I tend to muddle which was which. One was a Reds anniversary with multiple display teams, which I think was midweek? The other was notable for the Russian An72 on static? I also remember seeing the EAP at one, I suspect the first. Anyone care to jog my memory.

To put my post back on topic, Scampton 2017, 18........ Not a chance, certainly not on a scale in any way comparable with Waddington. Both the previous events I have refereed to were tiny compared with Waddington. I have no figures to justify my comments, but having spent many weekends there in my youth, I am sure that the available areas of grass and hard standing is far less than Waddington, or maybe it is split differently to either side of the airfield.

I will be happy to be proved wrong. :smile:

Same length runway and potential crowd line but much less 'pan' room. Saying that the two pans in front of the C type hangers could hold around 10 Tornado / Typhoon sized aircraft each in a static park and the lazy runway could accommodate a few more flying or additional statics. A show bigger than Cosford but smaller than Waddington 'could' be held at Scampton. If the Lincolnshire showground is pressed into service as is being mooted then the venue could actually offer more parking than Waddington when combined with some on base parking.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

OK so before I get shot down, here is a theoretical layout for an airshow at Scampton. It's losely based on the suggestions made by XX752..

The orange lines represent the crowd line (It's not to scale before anybody whinges about it being too close to the runway), the blue rings are for static aircraft and the green rings for live/display aircraft. Finally the red line is where the Reds could be parked along the taxiway so if the public wanted to watch the whole sequence of aircraft starting up and taxiing out, they could. Obviously this layout would mean most, if not all, display aircraft would back track at some point, assuming all the taxiways north of the runway are unusable but I don't think this would be a problem.

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Wheres the car park? ;)

A40
With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

A40-BP wrote:Wheres the car park? ;)

A40

Outside Spar.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

XX752 wrote: ...Lincolnshire showground

:wink:

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

pb643 wrote: The other was notable for the Russian An72 on static? I also remember seeing the EAP at one, I suspect the first. Anyone care to jog my memory.

This was the beasty. I had no idea it was going to be there as info was rubbish back then, but somehow turning up and and finding gems like this seemed to make it all the more pleasurable. Some lovely Hunters there that day as well.

Sorry to go off topic.

I have this show dated 13/07/1991

HTAFC

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

MarkL wrote:I had no idea it was going to be there as info was rubbish back then, but somehow turning up and and finding gems like this seemed to make it all the more pleasurable.

I miss that feeling of turning up to airshows with a sense of excitement and wandering through the static to see what had turned up :sad: booo to progress :grin:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Wes_Howes wrote:OK so before I get shot down, here is a theoretical layout for an airshow at Scampton. It's losely based on the suggestions made by XX752..

The orange lines represent the crowd line (It's not to scale before anybody whinges about it being too close to the runway), the blue rings are for static aircraft and the green rings for live/display aircraft. Finally the red line is where the Reds could be parked along the taxiway so if the public wanted to watch the whole sequence of aircraft starting up and taxiing out, they could. Obviously this layout would mean most, if not all, display aircraft would back track at some point, assuming all the taxiways north of the runway are unusable but I don't think this would be a problem.

Are all the taxiways to the north of the runway unusable? Is that the major issue with RAF Scampton currently?

From the size of this theoretical layout the show could at least be the size of the 'old' Biggin Hill Air Fair which had a good flying display with foreign displays with a small static park - but still better than RAF Cosford

Can the hangars at RAF Scampton be used for the hangar displays that used to happen at RAF Waddington like the RAF 'On Air' stage etc..?

Certainly do-able if the lincolnshire showground used to park all the public

If the based Hawker Hunters, Su 22 and possibly the new rumoured Ex German F4 Phantom could be wheeled out as part of the static park that would be awesome!

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Been confirmed on lincs fm today that scampton IS taking over as the host of the international airshow from waddington
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Spock

RAF Scampton air show?

Post by Spock »

Just seen this.

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/02/new- ... n-in-2017/

Not sure if it could be held on the same scale as Waddington given the structure & layout of the Airfeild.

Wouldn't have the capacity to park as many spectators or exhibit static aircraft.

Hope to be proved wrong though.

:biggrin:

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.

Looks like your info was not better than anyone else this time round!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

XP282

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by XP282 »

No, that's wrong. It will never happen. I read it on UKAR. One of the experts was saying, they're just making these statements to try an appease up!
:lol:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

This is excellent news!

Understand DBH are involved

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

The website for scampton airshow
http://scamptonairshow.com/default.asp
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

XX752

Post by XX752 »

Slappywag wrote:It's not happening.

End.

You were obviously very well informed. Probably all that insider information you clearly didn't have............... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sorry, could not resist, but it is an absolutely fantastic announcement, A new RAF show less than 50 miles from home.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

XX752 wrote:

End.

You were obviously very well informed. Probably all that insider information you clearly didn't have............... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sorry, could not resist, but it is an absolutely fantastic announcement, A new RAF show less than 50 miles from home.

As far as an all-out RAF Waddington style affair, it isn't. RAFCTE have taken the torch, hence this development. Happy to be proved incorrect to a degree in this instance.

Again, until there's some genuine spadework and planning going ahead, I wouldn't get too carried away...

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Slappywag wrote:
XX752 wrote:

End.

As far as an all-out RAF Waddington style affair, it isn't. RAFCTE have taken the torch, hence this development. Happy to be proved incorrect to a degree in this instance.

Again, until there's some genuine spadework and planning going ahead, I wouldn't get too carried away...

Much of the planning and scoping work, was done over the last 2 years with a viable plan already to go.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Around 45 to 50 minutes into this mornings show on BBC Radio Lincs you may hear a certain website discussing this mornings news :oops:

http://bbc.in/1Ku85HN

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

RAF Scampton Air Show WILL be happening in 2017!!

Awesome news - organised by RAFCTE !! RIAT times two?

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/02/new- ... n-in-2017/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Does DBH still have a hand in helping to organising Cosford too?

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Brilliant News! :clap:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

:yahoo: At a time when we only seem to be losing airshows this is fantastic news! :yahoo:

[quote="n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.

I believe that's 1-1 Mr n0143773 :tongue2: :tongue2:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Pringles wrote:I believe that's 1-1 Mr n0143773 :tongue2: :tongue2:

:grin: