Oshkosh 2020.

Oshkosh 2020.

Postby FlankerPhoto on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 5:41 pm

Due to be held from July 20th to 26th.

Initial highlights expected to be announced in the next couple of months.

Will be my first time, hugely looking forward to it! :rock:
FlankerPhoto

Re: Oshkosh 2020.

Postby AlexC on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 9:26 am

You will love it! :drool:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Grunt087 on Thu 01 Aug 2019, 8:51 am

A few random thoughts on Oshkosh. It is centered around Private pilots and a General Aviation Convention with an Airshow on the side. The area is huge. Learn the tram and shuttle bus system. The flight line is very long so getting up front is not a problem. The airshow lineup is only announced at the beginning of each day and is often pretty vague so you never know what is really going to fly that day. A Mosquito was there but only flew twice all week and you never knew what day it was going to be flying or when. The XP-82 Twin Mustang only flew twice. There are two runways and half the time they would take off in front of you and other times they would take off from the other runway so you could not depend on getting take off or landing shots. The shear numbers of planes is amazing. Bring a Scanner and listen to the controllers launching 250 planes in one hour. The sun was in your face in the morning and by late afternoon it was fantastic over your right shoulder. It was frustrating that they gave rides on the B-17,B-24 and B-29 from Appleton Airport but not fly low enough to take their pictures. The Bombers would fly directly over the airport at 3,000 feet but never land. The planes could have done a low approach so people could photograph them and give the passengers a nice view of the airfield. Hotels are a problem and the traffic and parking are well run but still a hassle. Camping would have its advantages . You could stay longer hours each day and save the hassle of driving. Many of the planes that were there left by Saturday and the airshow Sunday was less impressive than Saturdays show. Many people just were tired after being there all week and they needed to be back home before Monday. It is an amazing convention with a pretty good airshow. You will enjoy it .
Grunt087

Postby FlankerPhoto on Thu 01 Aug 2019, 9:23 am

Cheers guys! :smile:
FlankerPhoto

Postby Georgeconna on Thu 01 Aug 2019, 1:29 pm

"The airshow lineup is only announced at the beginning of each day and is often pretty vague so you never know what is really going to fly that day"

The Show Schedule is on the EAA website, Ok it does not list exactly what is flying but will have navy heritage, USAF heritage etc etc but you can have a fair ol guess of whats gonna go up.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/features ... w-schedule
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.
Georgeconna

Postby GeorgeP on Sun 11 Aug 2019, 9:57 am

Consider the University of Wisconsin (Oshkosh) dorms for relatively low-priced accommodation; both aircon (USD125) and non-aircon (USD75) rooms are available. Avoid the hassle of driving/parking and buy a weekly, unlimited rides bus ticket for the university to airport shuttle.

For photography during the airshow, choose to either stand on the 18/36 flight line or at the secondary runway, 09/27. You must accept that you'll miss some types depending on your chosen location. On almost all occasions during my three visits, warbird types usually recover to runway 27 after their performance to allow operations to continue on 18/36. On about half the times, they'll both launch from and recover to 09/27. Toss a coin and accept what you get on any particular day. :smile:

Like eggs and chickens, don't count on any aircraft that's listed on the programme unless you smell and hear it. I'm still waiting for the twice-promised Gannet to appear... :wink: This year, we were very fortunate to see both of the two headline aircraft; the Mossie and the Twin-Mustang.

As mentioned above, you'll definitely have a great time and my guess is that you'll be hooked. Enjoy!
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums
GeorgeP

Postby AlexC on Mon 12 Aug 2019, 2:43 pm

Seemed to be quite a few Aussie's there this year. And I'd forgotten that the American's seem to have a bit of trouble mixing up the London and the Australian accents (well, at least my particular London accent, although it's probably changed a bit since I've been living in Hampshire for the past 36 years or so) as I was asked several times if I was from Australia.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Return to North American Events