Nellis - Aviation Nation 2011

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Oldtower

Nellis - Aviation Nation 2011

Post by Oldtower »

Aviation Nation is on 12th / 13th November, celebrating 70 yrs of aviation at the base.Looking forward to this one again, hopeful the Heritage Flight QF-4 will demo for one.

patrouille2001

Re: Nellis - Aviation Nation 2011

Post by patrouille2001 »

Oldtower wrote:Aviation Nation is on 12th / 13th November, celebrating 70 yrs of aviation at the base.Looking forward to this one again, hopeful the Heritage Flight QF-4 will demo for one.

Hi There
I am booked myself for this show (Newcastle to Gatwick, then Virgin to Vegas on the Wednesday before the show) seems to be slow in comfirming who is on, The F-22 has been grounded since May, so can cut that, also F15E is in Dubai.

Still looking forward to whatever flys.

Paul :smile:

gbredneck

Post by gbredneck »

Its a great show, you'll definitely enjoy it, and a better than average chance of blue skies!

Been to the last two, and the f4 has flown both times.

Rob

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Can't remember where i read it, but the West Coast A10 Demo team, C17 Demo, F4 Phantom, the Heritage Flight are all down to participate,... can't remember the rest! Would highly imagine the 'home team' may put something on as they did last few years ie: Air Warfare Centre flypast of F15 /F16/ A10... the CSAR demo simulating a downed pilot last year with A10 / F16 /UH60s etc was also worth watching and that may ?? be back on - of course the Thunderbirds. F22 Raptor i would imagine be on static only due to the current grounding of the fleet. The official Nellis AF website has Aviation Nation on it but would imagine it can't be too far away to give people an idea of whats likely to be there - and of course Exercise Green Flag is on around the same time as it was 2 yrs ago - from memory if you hung around after the Sunday show you get a mass launch out... i know i saw a 'flight' of 13 C130s breaking to land !!! Some of these participants may ?? be on static - who knows.
And something in those parts we haven't seen alot of this summer =warm sun!!!

Patrouille - where are you staying??? drop me a PM

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

As per their website:
Flying:

FlyingLegacy Bomber / Aerial Gunnery Demonstration:
B-25, AT6, AT11, FW-190

Present Day Bomber Demonstration:
B-1, B-2 (Sunday Only)

Mobility Air Forces Demonstration:
C130 Airdrop with Red Horse Civil Engineers
C-17 Demonstration

The Patriots Jet Demonstration Team (L39s)

Legacy Air-To-Air Mission Demonstration:
T-33 Demonstration
F-86 Vs. MiG 15 Dogfight

Present Day Air-To-Air Demonstration:
F-15C Vs. F-16C Aggressor Capabilities Demonstration

Legacy Air-To-Ground Mission Demonstration

Vietnam Air-To-Ground Mission Reenactment (poss includes F4 Phantom as in 2010 show)

Present Day Air-To-Ground Mission Demonstration:
A-10C, F-16C, F-15E, HH-60 Close Air Support Mission Demonstration

A-10 Demonstration

Heritage Flight:
A-10C, F-4, F-86 Formation

U.S. Air Force "Thunderbirds" Aerial Demonstration Team

Statics include both B1-B, B52 & B2 Spirit & a T38 painted in Thunderbirds colours

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

To bad the show lost the F-22 demo. But a gain with a static and flying B-2,B-1 and a B-52... Plus seeing the F-4 again.. This year looks better then last year. Only one month to go till I'm back on the Vegas strip... :yahoo:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Just making a quick post here on the iPhone. I'm sitting here at Bellingham Washington airport now waiting for the 10:15 to Las Vegas for this great looking show. The weather looks to be sunny and 20 degrees. If any other UKAR members are going let me know and maybe we might meet up down there.

swingy

Post by swingy »

Fumbles wrote:Just making a quick post here on the iPhone. I'm sitting here at Bellingham Washington airport now waiting for the 10:15 to Las Vegas for this great looking show. The weather looks to be sunny and 20 degrees. If any other UKAR members are going let me know and maybe we might meet up down there.

Lucky man enjoy the show. I should have been there but trouble back at the ranch means I am sat at Dulles heading in the opposite direction.

expat1

Post by expat1 »

Also planning on being there. Flying down from Seattle for Sunday only though :0(
Looks like a good line up and the weather forcast has been improving all week.
Can't wait to see the F-4 again and hopefully the new splinter colourscheme on the aggressor birds. :drool: :drool:
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

expat1

Post by expat1 »

Also planning on being there. Flying down from Seattle for Sunday only though :0(
Looks like a good line up and the weather forcast has been improving all week.
Can't wait to see the F-4 again and hopefully the new splinter colourscheme on the aggressor birds. :drool: :drool:
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

gbredneck wrote:Its a great show, you'll definitely enjoy it, and a better than average chance of blue skies!
Rob

I agree. Only snag is that the sun is in your face most of the day. I think that November is a bit too late in the year, it was better when the show was held in October. And it can be surprisingly cold there in November.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

DonkeyB

Post by DonkeyB »

The weather at Nellis was just perfect today, if anything it was a bit too warm for my liking.

gbredneck

Post by gbredneck »

Looking forward to seeing some photos guys, first time i've missed it in a couple of years.

Rob

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

The now yearly trip to Vegas is now comming to a close. I am sitting here at Las vegas Airport waiting for the flight home as I type this. Mrs. Fumbs and I went to the show on the Sunday again. The show on Sunday had more cloud then Saturday. But there was still enough sun to get a bit of a burn. I was dissapointed with the B-1B one flyby... But the B-2 did at least 3 and to see the F-15's dropping flares as well as the Aggressor demo was well worth it. Just to add the B-2 on static and seeing the mighty F-4 again... All and all a great show. I'll get some shots up as soon as I get home. What a great way to end the show season... Nellis Aviation Nation in November and it's 20+ degrees.. Nice!

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Fumbles wrote:The now yearly trip to Vegas is now comming to a close. I am sitting here at Las vegas Airport waiting for the flight home as I type this. Mrs. Fumbs and I went to the show on the Sunday again. The show on Sunday had more cloud then Saturday. But there was still enough sun to get a bit of a burn. I was dissapointed with the B-1B one flyby... But the B-2 did at least 3 and to see the F-15's dropping flares as well as the Aggressor demo was well worth it. Just to add the B-2 on static and seeing the mighty F-4 again... All and all a great show. I'll get some shots up as soon as I get home. What a great way to end the show season... Nellis Aviation Nation in November and it's 20+ degrees.. Nice!

I'm planning on doing this at some point, my brother (gbredneck) is always telling me how great it is...

Looking forward to seeing the photos Mr Fumbs...

BigRedDogATL

Post by BigRedDogATL »

The Aviation Nation show this year has to rank among the best of the past few years. For the first time in the seven straight years that I attended this show, they shot off flares from the F-16 and F-15 planes. Normally at American air shows, the FAA won't allow flares to be shot off.

Also for the first time, they had a B-2 bomber on static display and on Sunday had a different B-2 bomber do a fly-by. Also on static were a B-52 and a B-1 bomber. They had a different B-1 do a demo on both days.

Here are a few of my photos from the show:

BigRedDogATL

Post by BigRedDogATL »

Here are a few more photos:

BigRedDogATL

Post by BigRedDogATL »

Just a few more:

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

Fantastic set! :yahoo: :clap:
Really lie the static b2 with the one flying over head.
Looked like a great show.
Good to see the use of flares.

BigRedDogATL

Post by BigRedDogATL »

yf23blackwidow wrote:Fantastic set! :yahoo: :clap:
Really lie the static b2 with the one flying over head.
Looked like a great show.
Good to see the use of flares.

Thanks!

The B-2 in the air is the Spirit of Florida and the B-2 on static display is the Spirit of Nebraska. The one in the air did a total of three passes. Unfortunately they weren't close, hence the fact that it appears so small in the photo. Also, I shot the photo using my 14-24mm super wide angle lens, so that I could get as much of the static B-2 as possible in the shot.

I want to thank the crew of the Spirit of Nebraska for arranging for me to be able to get the photographs without tons of people in the shot.

Sea King

Post by Sea King »

These are outstanding! :yahoo: :clap:

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Top draw, I really really really need to do this in my lifetime... :up:

BigRedDogATL

Post by BigRedDogATL »

lynothehammer wrote:Top draw, I really really really need to do this in my lifetime... :up:

Nellis is a great show and also a great venue. As with most shows, it is smaller than it has been in the past but still good enough for me to make the trip from Atlanta to Vegas for the past seven years in a row.

A few years ago, Nellis changed the way they fund the annual air show. Because of the change, only planes with some sort of military connection can now perform there. That is why you won't see civilian acts like Sean D. Tucker, who was an Aviation Nation regular, perform there any more. I'm fine with the change and love the fact that this years show only had one act, the Patriot Jet Team, that was painted in non-military paint.

If you do decide to visit, make sure you rent a car in order to get to the show and back. While you don't need a car to visit the Vegas Strip, you will for the drive out to Nellis. Also it is much less expensive to rent a car than to take taxis out to Nellis and back. This year at the show I ran into a couple from England who didn't rent a car and they were sorry. They had thought the hotels charge for parking, which they do NOT, as their reason for not renting a car.