Oceana and Miramar Question.

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Sid-104

Oceana and Miramar Question.

Post by Sid-104 »

A quick question for the guys who have visited the shows at Oceana and Miramar in the last week or so. Was there any problems with back pack style camera bags as it still seems unclear what the US airshow security peoples viewpoint is on these. If Gareths looking in, what was your experience at Oceana, as you posted earlier on this subject. I'm off to the Jacksonville show soon and was hoping a little bit of knowledge beforehand would help things go smoothly.

Sid.

sln

Re: Oceana and Miramar Question.

Post by sln »

Hi Sid,

I attended both shows for the first time this year, and there wasn't any problems getting in to either NAS Oceana or MCAS Miramar with my camera bag, but I attended the show at Holloman AFB(pictures will come shortly, I think :grin: ) the weekend after MCAS Miramar, and there wasn't you allowed to bring large camera bags, any coolers or anything like that.

I use the Think Tank Airport Security V 2.0:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-security-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

So to be sure, I would look at the shows website and see if it states anything with camera bags, and if it's a prohibited item, and there is a contact form on the website, try writing to them and explain you self, and see if you're granted to take your camera bag in.

Hopes this helps,
Søren
FLYMAG - Scandinavian aviation magazine:
www.flymag.dk
www.facebook.com/flymag.dk/

McG

Post by McG »

No issues at Oceana.
As Soren said, contact the show organisers / media rep to see what their policy is with large camera bags.

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I will contact the base as you suggest as each base seems to have its own rules.

Sid.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Went to Jacksonville Air Show a couple of year ago , no camera bags/back packs allowed . Put your spare memory cards in your pocket together with spare batteries and get the wife to carry a different size lense for you if needed ( if going as a couple !) :up:

:smile:

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi Sid,

We had no problems getting in to Oceana, bag was checked before we got in. Didn't look in all the pockets, just the main bit of the bag, the bag that dad had didn't even get that, just the side pockets.

Think from what I've read and heard it's very hit and miss, some shows have a NO bag thing and some have a if it's a camera bag that's ok. The best thing to do is send them an e-mail then you can plan the trip better.

Gaz