Wings Over Houston

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
euangregg

Wings Over Houston

Post by euangregg »

Heading to the states next week and will probably go to the wings over Houston show... Has anyone been before and/or have any advice regarding traffic and what to bring and not to bring etc (I know they can be tight on that kind of thing) Hoping it'll be a good show regardless of the millitary cuts :)
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Wings Over Houston

Post by boff180 »

A seat if you are not going as press :grin: and plenty of money for food.etc.

Get there early to get a good parking spot and be warned, getting out of the car park at the end of the show is a PITA!

The Warbirds are usually parked at left of the showground and if you are there early enough, you are allowed to walk around the flying warbirds and talk to the groundcrews.etc. You may get a glimpse of the US Army assets parked on the ramp behind them ;-)

Fast jet assets fly from the NASA ramp at the right of the showground. They try to taxi everything past the crowd very close up atleast once.

For an idea of what to expect, check out my article from last year. Really wish I could make it again this year, the press officer invited me back too! :sad:
http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/overs ... r-houston/

Andy

euangregg

Post by euangregg »

Thanks for the tips. Looks like it'll be a great show :) Tora Tora Tora looks like it could be a highlight :):):):)

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

I went in 2010, really enjoyed it. Worth paying the extra for the seated area, although note that this isn't quite like the FRIAT grandstand as it is, quite literally, just a whole load of deckchairs which have been placed one behind the other. However you can cheerfully ignore your seat and use the roped-off area to stand right up at the crowdline without having to jostle for position with the general public.

Also note that at that time of year (late October) it is still punishingly hot and humid in Houston, so take plenty of fluids, suncream, a hat etc.

Enjoy! :smile:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

warbirdapps

Post by warbirdapps »

"WOH" is a fantastic airshow and a great opportunity to take a warbird ride after the Saturday show - B-29 / B-25 / B-24 / B-17 plus a choice of P-51 Mustangs and MUCH more.

Check out this years list on this link .....

http://www.wingsoverhouston.com/woh_rides.htm

Be warned though that the post Sat show flight window is tight before dusk falls - so you'll probably only have time to fly in one :smile:

euangregg

Post by euangregg »

Went on the Saturday... Great show, lots of great warbirds I wouldn't see at home (B24, B29 etc). Mike goulian and John klatt were great. Matt Younkins beech 18 routine was really impressive.... Managed to get there early to walk the flightline which was good. Couldn't persuade the parents to let me take a ride in a p51 though :sad: great show altogether :) would defineately recommend

jesterhud

Post by jesterhud »

Thinking of going to this Airshow in Houston later this year, any more recent reports from the last couple of years ?
All the best freaks are here..

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Just booked for this years show if anyone has any more tip or is going.

davechng

Post by davechng »

Hi

this is last year's Wings over Houston report for 2017! it is usually a very good show and the sunrise tour is worth checking out that gives you access to the warbird section with all the ability to shoot sunrise. very good lighting!

for Ellington field , lighting gets better in the afternoon ...

Click on the link for the report!
http://airwingspotter.com/wings-over-houston-2017/

Dave Chng
www.airwingspotter.com
http://www.airwingspotter.com Dedicated to all Military Aircraft spotting