New England Airshows, 2017

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Shortfinals

New England Airshows, 2017

Post by Shortfinals »

Well, here we are, just about at the end of the airshow season in New England. The Rhode Island Army National Guard Open Day and Airshow at Quonset was not as impressive as in past years, with a distinct lack of a jet display team. With the loss of most of the Quonset Air Museum's usual static display, and a shorter flying programme, many 'acts' had to fly twice. Still, that meant twice the F/A-18F display, so that was OK. It was also very enjoyable to see a USMC AV-8B fly, too. The return of the Westfield International Air Show/Barnes ANG Base Open Day was most welcome. I managed to fasten onto a Media Pass, and consequently took some of my best shots ever of the F-15C; the C-17 from Stewart, NY gave a spirited display, as well. A fine selection of WW2/Korean War/Vietnam era types rounded out things, with the Thunderbirds giving the sort of display they would have wanted to at RIAT - under sunny skies! I have already completed a post-event survey, and the 104 FW got high marks.

The last event of the year, locally (only 20 miles from base, for me), will be the famous 'Battle for the Airfield' at the Stow, Massachusetts HQ of the Collings Foundation on October 8th/9th. Now that they have resolved the access problems regarding the site (which will allow them to build another 67,000 sq ft to house their newly-acquired AFV collection) we can look forward to even more startling re-enactments. Stow is home to a small but classic selection of aircraft, everything from a T-33A to a very early Bleriot. Some aviation activity takes place during the WW2 re-enactment (usually their Fieseler Storch flies), but pleasure flights can be had in the PT-17 and AT-6F as well (the Storch sometimes joins in - where else can you get a ride in one?)

I'll keep you posted.
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants