Oshkosh 2019.

Switch to full style
Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Post a reply

Oshkosh 2019.

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 6:42 am

Happy new year, everyone.

I will be in NY in the weeks leading up to this airshow and convention, so I have decided to extend my stay and attend for the entire week. Is anyone from this forum planning to attend? The Twin Mustang has probably flown by now and may be a participant. It's also a significant commemoration of D-Day in 2019 so, whether or not they participated, there's a chance that a few warbird types that I have not seen on my previous two visits may attend. I'm thinking P-47, P-39, P-63 and, perhaps, some enemy aircraft. The DC-3/C-47 may also be there in greater numbers than previous years. I hope to hear that other forum members may be thinking of making the pilgrimage and would be interested in others' "wish lists".

The EAA has begun to publicise some of the participants here: https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 4:24 pm

I am planning to attend all 7 days (and the arrival weekend). After my 2016 visit travelling over an hour each way (from Green Bay) meant I missed the sunrise/sunset pics. I have booked the basic UWE accommodation and at least will be able to ditch the car.

Hoping for some great warbirds and just wall to wall aviation.

Happy New Year to All

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147180348@N03/

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 6:44 pm

Another significant anniversary is 50 years since the Apollo 11 moon landing which was in July 1969. May get to see a few astronauts.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Thu 24 Jan 2019, 5:06 pm

I was there 2009 through to 2013. Thinking of one final trip this year.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Sat 26 Jan 2019, 7:13 pm

I'm Line Crew at Oshkosh and wouldn't miss it, if you need any hints or tips Pm me

Regards

Dave

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Sat 26 Jan 2019, 11:34 pm

SkyDave wrote:...if you need any hints or tips Pm me

Regards

Dave
Thanks for the offer, Dave. :up: It will be my third visit, so my mate and I are reasonably familiar with the place. I hope to attend at least two more.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Sun 27 Jan 2019, 4:38 pm

No problems, mate! Stop by the P-51 ramp and say "Hello" if you have the time!

Cheers

Dave

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Sun 27 Jan 2019, 7:25 pm

SkyDave wrote:I'm Line Crew at Oshkosh and wouldn't miss it, if you need any hints or tips Pm me


So you're one of those bods running around on scooters?

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Sun 27 Jan 2019, 9:18 pm

No , my Lead does, I have access on request for the Golf Cart :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Mon 28 Jan 2019, 12:46 am

SkyDave wrote:No problems, mate! Stop by the P-51 ramp and say "Hello" if you have the time!
Cheers
Dave

The warbird area in general and the P-51 in particular is our first port of call every morning. I'll definitely look for a bloke named Dave who's not riding a scooter.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Mon 28 Jan 2019, 9:49 am

I have to say that AirVenture is remarkably well run, the only mishap that I'm aware of happening during the five years that I was there was an F-16 that run out of runway for some reason.

One if the other remarkable things about AirVenture is that there is no actual barrier on the crowd line to the runway, just a faint line on the ground which everyone respects, although if a foot should cross the barrier one of the scooter guys soon puts you in your place. Also, if you put what is known as a 'lawn chair' on the barrier and then wander off during the flying display, as soon as one of the scooter guys spots it will be removed and placed at the rear of the spectators.
Last edited by AlexC on Mon 28 Jan 2019, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Mon 28 Jan 2019, 10:12 am

AlexC wrote:I have to say that AirVenture is remarkably well run...
+1

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 7:07 am

Just to let you Folks know this is being streamed live on You Tube.

Its a Bit Patchy with the camera work but better then MR BJ. Just search for EAA Live.

Some very nice stuff lying about there.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 10:19 pm

Looking at this for next year,

Where's the closest international airport?

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 7:48 am

ORD and drive up? I did that a few years back. Stayed in the College Campus in Appleton. Never forget the Midges though. Not sure I could survive the night show!

Looking at the Live stream till 1am last night the amount of gear that flew in the space of an hour or so you would not see in a number of years in the UK.

Must get the lads together for a trip in a few years time when the kids have FO and the bank balance comes back to normal

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 7:51 am

Fantastic, cheers. :up:

Been on the list for a while, about time I acted upon it. Certainly sounds like a truly spectacular event.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 7:53 am

It's a truly outstanding event. I went last year and am hoping to go again next year. Thoroughly recommended :biggrin:

Andy :smile:

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Sun 28 Jul 2019, 6:18 pm

Spent many hours watching the live stream this year. Must go before my numbers up. It looks like a superb event.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Mon 29 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm

Just got back after a great Oshkosh (my third), marred only on thursday by cloud, otherwise pretty much wall to wall sun. There from sunday for some arrivals and then left saturday. The aircraft noticeably thinned out from thursday but still lots to grab one's attention.

I acknowledge RIAT and Oshkosh are not directly comparable. However after being a MACH 3 RIAT member continuously since 1996 until this year there are some thoughts for those who wish to attend Oshkosh. The price-$125 for a 7 day ticket, unrestricted access all day long to all the aircraft-10.000 or so, apart from modern military which do rotate to the Boeing Plaza otherwise parked in a secure compound on the opposite side of the runways (marshals on scooters gently move pedestrians aside when warbirds start up and taxi through the public-CAA would have a hissy fit here). Huge variety of aircraft but impossible to catch them all with 2 main runways and 2 minor grass runways. As value for money, airfare aside, Oshkosh stands head and shoulders above RIAT-and this year I paid the staggering sum of £49 for the friday RIAT ticket and best ignore the hugely overpriced souvenir programme (Oshkosh special programme celebrating 50 years was $8).

Highlights-the warbirds, worlds only twin mustang, the third flying Mosquito, some 23/24 Mustangs, 12 DC-3's, lots of historic jets and other warbirds, the B29 Doc (Fifi flew overhead several times), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Hunter WP-3D Orion, brand new UPS 747, Aerial Firefighting demos with water drops, F22/A-10 and F-35A displays (slightly constrained due to a restricted display box), The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds each did 4/5 passes and breaks on their way to other shows, lots of Heritage Flights both from the USAF and USN oh and lots of Aerobatic aircraft. Parking very well organised and no delays that I experienced. Plenty of space in the public area to watch the 3.5-4 hour afternoon display- Americans seem very polite and don't push in unlike UK shows, 2 evening airshow with lots of pyros and fireworks.

It is well worth a trip

Downsides-very long days from 0630 to 2030 if one has the stamina, even using the trams lots of walking. Weather can be difficult as one year it was very humid and a couple of days there were thunderstorms-but hey compared to RIAT weather?

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Mon 29 Jul 2019, 2:36 pm

Decision well and truly made for next year. :up:

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Mon 29 Jul 2019, 3:04 pm

PeteFenwick wrote:Just got back after a great Oshkosh (my third), marred only on thursday by cloud, otherwise pretty much wall to wall sun. There from sunday for some arrivals and then left saturday. The aircraft noticeably thinned out from thursday but still lots to grab one's attention.

I acknowledge RIAT and Oshkosh are not directly comparable. However after being a MACH 3 RIAT member continuously since 1996 until this year there are some thoughts for those who wish to attend Oshkosh. The price-$125 for a 7 day ticket, unrestricted access all day long to all the aircraft-10.000 or so, apart from modern military which do rotate to the Boeing Plaza otherwise parked in a secure compound on the opposite side of the runways (marshals on scooters gently move pedestrians aside when warbirds start up and taxi through the public-CAA would have a hissy fit here). Huge variety of aircraft but impossible to catch them all with 2 main runways and 2 minor grass runways. As value for money, airfare aside, Oshkosh stands head and shoulders above RIAT-and this year I paid the staggering sum of £49 for the friday RIAT ticket and best ignore the hugely overpriced souvenir programme (Oshkosh special programme celebrating 50 years was $8).

Highlights-the warbirds, worlds only twin mustang, the third flying Mosquito, some 23/24 Mustangs, 12 DC-3's, lots of historic jets and other warbirds, the B29 Doc (Fifi flew overhead several times), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Hunter WP-3D Orion, brand new UPS 747, Aerial Firefighting demos with water drops, F22/A-10 and F-35A displays (slightly constrained due to a restricted display box), The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds each did 4/5 passes and breaks on their way to other shows, lots of Heritage Flights both from the USAF and USN oh and lots of Aerobatic aircraft. Parking very well organised and no delays that I experienced. Plenty of space in the public area to watch the 3.5-4 hour afternoon display- Americans seem very polite and don't push in unlike UK shows, 2 evening airshow with lots of pyros and fireworks.

It is well worth a trip

Downsides-very long days from 0630 to 2030 if one has the stamina, even using the trams lots of walking. Weather can be difficult as one year it was very humid and a couple of days there were thunderstorms-but hey compared to RIAT weather?


I would second all of that. Just home as well after a wonderful few days in beautiful Wisconsin. Only did Tuesday-Saturday this year but still saw nearly everything I hoped for... only downside was I missed the Mossie flying on Thursday and it left early on Saturday owing to weather constraints on its journey home back to Texas. So I got to see it take-off, but not much more than that.

Yes, very long days indeed - I am completely wiped out - and my Fitbit tells me that I was smashing out an average of around 20,000 steps a day!!! But it just has to be done.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 9:00 am

pbeardmore wrote:Spent many hours watching the live stream this year. Must go before my numbers up. It looks like a superb event.


Frustrating at points though, The Mossie went up and the Camera man stayed on the pack of C-47 flying about... :question:

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 9:01 am

Just back from my 6th and sadly last Oshkosh, feeling knacked but happy with months of photo editing ahead of me. Must say I'd heard tales of midges, especially at the Seaplane Base (what at beautiful spot!) but I was never bothered by them. Too many highlights to mention, just one of the greatest places to visit in the world. Oh, and one of my fellow passengers on the shuttle bus (what a great guy!) back to the uni informed me that Boris was now our new PM, I hadn't heard!

I didn't stay for one of the night shows (they'd never get away with it here) this year, I'd seen one of them a few years back. I noticed from the bus back to the uni that lots of locals were sitting around on their lawn chairs outside the field waiting to watch night show, although what sort of view they would have got from there I'm not sure?
Last edited by AlexC on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 9:04 am

Skyflash wrote:
PeteFenwick wrote:Just got back after a great Oshkosh (my third), marred only on thursday by cloud, otherwise pretty much wall to wall sun. There from sunday for some arrivals and then left saturday. The aircraft noticeably thinned out from thursday but still lots to grab one's attention.

I acknowledge RIAT and Oshkosh are not directly comparable. However after being a MACH 3 RIAT member continuously since 1996 until this year there are some thoughts for those who wish to attend Oshkosh. The price-$125 for a 7 day ticket, unrestricted access all day long to all the aircraft-10.000 or so, apart from modern military which do rotate to the Boeing Plaza otherwise parked in a secure compound on the opposite side of the runways (marshals on scooters gently move pedestrians aside when warbirds start up and taxi through the public-CAA would have a hissy fit here). Huge variety of aircraft but impossible to catch them all with 2 main runways and 2 minor grass runways. As value for money, airfare aside, Oshkosh stands head and shoulders above RIAT-and this year I paid the staggering sum of £49 for the friday RIAT ticket and best ignore the hugely overpriced souvenir programme (Oshkosh special programme celebrating 50 years was $8).

Highlights-the warbirds, worlds only twin mustang, the third flying Mosquito, some 23/24 Mustangs, 12 DC-3's, lots of historic jets and other warbirds, the B29 Doc (Fifi flew overhead several times), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Hunter WP-3D Orion, brand new UPS 747, Aerial Firefighting demos with water drops, F22/A-10 and F-35A displays (slightly constrained due to a restricted display box), The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds each did 4/5 passes and breaks on their way to other shows, lots of Heritage Flights both from the USAF and USN oh and lots of Aerobatic aircraft. Parking very well organised and no delays that I experienced. Plenty of space in the public area to watch the 3.5-4 hour afternoon display- Americans seem very polite and don't push in unlike UK shows, 2 evening airshow with lots of pyros and fireworks.

It is well worth a trip

Downsides-very long days from 0630 to 2030 if one has the stamina, even using the trams lots of walking. Weather can be difficult as one year it was very humid and a couple of days there were thunderstorms-but hey compared to RIAT weather?


I would second all of that. Just home as well after a wonderful few days in beautiful Wisconsin. Only did Tuesday-Saturday this year but still saw nearly everything I hoped for... only downside was I missed the Mossie flying on Thursday and it left early on Saturday owing to weather constraints on its journey home back to Texas. So I got to see it take-off, but not much more than that.

Yes, very long days indeed - I am completely wiped out - and my Fitbit tells me that I was smashing out an average of around 20,000 steps a day!!! But it just has to be done.


Where the Insect Mosquitos still evident? the Missus reckons I Got West Nile the last time of was there, Knocked me for 6 for the rest of the Hols with Zero Engery.

Re: Oshkosh 2019.

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

I got very badly bitten on the first day, though fortunately without any side-effects other than irritating itchiness. I then lathered myself in repellent for the remaining days and that seemed to do the trick; on the downside though I then had to remove layers of insect-repellent and suntan-lotion every evening which effectively meant I had to get washed before I could have a shower! All part of the, erm, fun... :sick: :grin:
Post a reply