MCAS Yuma Airshow 13th and 14th March 2020

MCAS Yuma Airshow 13th and 14th March 2020

Postby spellow3010 on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 8:04 am

Heads up on the airshow event in 2020 at MCAS Yuma, Arizona. This will take place on Friday 13th March and Saturday 14th March 2020. It looks like Friday 13th March is a twilight airshow. :smile:

Link here -
http://www.yumaairshow.com/

I am hoping to be present at Yuma on Friday 13th March...
spellow3010

Re: MCAS Yuma Airshow 13th and 14th March 2020

Postby MiG_Eater on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 1:55 pm

Do the F-5s normally fly on the Friday? And also - is it worth spotting outside the base during the day on Friday?
MiG_Eater

Postby spellow3010 on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:55 am

Hi Mig...
I've only ever been to Yuma once to be fair, and that was last month on a Tuesday. We did see an aggressor F-5 in wonderful beige, brown and green colours perform missed approaches before landing, and earlier, another pair broke into the circuit to land before we got into position outside the base.

Most favoured place (good for the CH-53s and Ospreys) seems to be the Fairgrounds end, and parking is on the opposite side of the road to the fence, which is good for not annoying base security. Be aware though, that light is better in the afternoons at the Fairground end, and they tend to lock the car parking grounds mid to late afternoon. You can still park up and view from that side of the road though.

There are places to park up at the other end of the base - again, better to park up on the opposite side of the road to where the fence is. Big dilemma is relating to which runway they use to land from that end. Photography seems to be better if they are using the left runway rather than the right. When we were there, much of the F-35B action was using the right hand runway. Light is better that end in the morning, but you'll work that out if you see the orientation on Google.

Good luck if you go spotting - just be careful if you're spending any length of time using binoculars, long lenses or even telescopes (it happens!!) looking into the base itself. Better to be safe than sorry. American security seems on a whole different level to anything we see in the UK. Worth reading up on the website about what you can and cannot take into an airshow for example. Forget what you see at RIAT!!! :lmao:

I'm not an expert by any means, I've only been once.
Last edited by spellow3010 on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
spellow3010

Postby MiG_Eater on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 10:10 am

Thanks Spellow. I did spend a few hours at Yuma last October and had a great time. No F-5s, but some Harrier action which was absolutely great.

My question was maybe a bit ambiguous - what I meant really was: does anybody know if there will be operational flying during the day on the Friday (before the twilight airshow).

If so, I was thinking it might be worthwhile spending all day at Yuma on Friday, and doing El Centro airshow on the Saturday.
MiG_Eater

Postby BDL on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 1:35 pm

I went on a Friday last year and caught F5s, Harriers, F35s, MV22s, a Hind and an RAF Chinook.

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82837&p=849397#p849397

Think it's pretty hit and miss as with most bases, this year it was a lot quieter when I went a last week.

Some good base guides out there online, fairground is great after 2pm, loads of us parked further along by the lights in the morning (had no problems). Just make sure that you take some suncream and plenty of water as it's bloody hot!
BDL

Return to North American Events