MCAS Yuma Airshow 13th and 14th March 2020

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
spellow3010

MCAS Yuma Airshow 13th and 14th March 2020

Post by spellow3010 »

Heads up on the airshow event in 2020 at MCAS Yuma, Arizona. This will take place on Friday 13th March and Saturday 14th March 2020. It looks like Friday 13th March is a twilight airshow. :smile:

Link here -
http://www.yumaairshow.com/

I am hoping to be present at Yuma on Friday 13th March...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

MiG_Eater

Re: MCAS Yuma Airshow 13th and 14th March 2020

Post by MiG_Eater »

Do the F-5s normally fly on the Friday? And also - is it worth spotting outside the base during the day on Friday?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Hi Mig...
I've only ever been to Yuma once to be fair, and that was last month on a Tuesday. We did see an aggressor F-5 in wonderful beige, brown and green colours perform missed approaches before landing, and earlier, another pair broke into the circuit to land before we got into position outside the base.

Most favoured place (good for the CH-53s and Ospreys) seems to be the Fairgrounds end, and parking is on the opposite side of the road to the fence, which is good for not annoying base security. Be aware though, that light is better in the afternoons at the Fairground end, and they tend to lock the car parking grounds mid to late afternoon. You can still park up and view from that side of the road though.

There are places to park up at the other end of the base - again, better to park up on the opposite side of the road to where the fence is. Big dilemma is relating to which runway they use to land from that end. Photography seems to be better if they are using the left runway rather than the right. When we were there, much of the F-35B action was using the right hand runway. Light is better that end in the morning, but you'll work that out if you see the orientation on Google.

Good luck if you go spotting - just be careful if you're spending any length of time using binoculars, long lenses or even telescopes (it happens!!) looking into the base itself. Better to be safe than sorry. American security seems on a whole different level to anything we see in the UK. Worth reading up on the website about what you can and cannot take into an airshow for example. Forget what you see at RIAT!!! :lmao:

I'm not an expert by any means, I've only been once.
Last edited by spellow3010 on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks Spellow. I did spend a few hours at Yuma last October and had a great time. No F-5s, but some Harrier action which was absolutely great.

My question was maybe a bit ambiguous - what I meant really was: does anybody know if there will be operational flying during the day on the Friday (before the twilight airshow).

If so, I was thinking it might be worthwhile spending all day at Yuma on Friday, and doing El Centro airshow on the Saturday.

BDL

Post by BDL »

I went on a Friday last year and caught F5s, Harriers, F35s, MV22s, a Hind and an RAF Chinook.

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82837&p=849397#p849397

Think it's pretty hit and miss as with most bases, this year it was a lot quieter when I went a last week.

Some good base guides out there online, fairground is great after 2pm, loads of us parked further along by the lights in the morning (had no problems). Just make sure that you take some suncream and plenty of water as it's bloody hot!

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Okay, from the website linked in the OP, here is the latest information available from Yuma Airshow...

Schedule for 13th March (Friday) -
Twilight Show - March 13th, 2020

4:00pm - Gates Open to the Public
5:00pm - Marine Drum & Bugle Corps
5:30pm - National Anthem
5:32pm - Aerial Performances & Fireworks Display
8:30pm - End of Show

You must have a Twilight Vehicle Pass to attend the show.

--
Schedule for 14th March (Saturday) -
Airshow Day - March 14th, 2020

9:00am - Gates Open to the Public
11:30am - National Anthem
11:35am - Aerial Performances
4:00pm - End of Show

--
It is currently difficult to tell which acts will be performing in the Friday display, and those that are performing in the Saturday display. However, if you are doing both events, the following highlights are more than likely going to appear...

USAF F-35A Lightning II Demonstration Team
Tora Tora Tora - Commemorative Air Force selection
Planes of Fame Demo ( :love: )
The Immortal Red Baron
MAGTF Demo (listed as a mini-MAGTF, featuring the AH-1, MV-22 and UH-1... not one fast jet?)
MV-22 Osprey Demo
AV-8B Harrier Demo
F-35B Lightning II Demonstration

--
Highlights of the static (for me) include -
Mig-17
Mi-24D 'Hind'
C-12F (King Air?)
EC-130H
F-5N Tiger II
AV-8B Harrier
(the Tiger II and Harrier - grab them while you can, especially if you're an infrequent visitor to the US like me).

--
I'm planning on attending on Friday 13th (!!) - see you there :smile: :wave:

BDL

Post by BDL »

Not sure whether to go to the Fairground or go in on the Friday, anyone been to previous twilight shows care to comment?

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Now cancelled
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

verreli

Post by verreli »

El Centro cancelled too. :sad: