Beale airshow or not?

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
verreli

Beale airshow or not?

Post by verreli »

I'm considering doing another USA airshow this year and fancied doing one I've not done before. Top of the list is Beale airshow in California but I've not committed to anything yet. Currently scheduled at Beale are the Thunderbirds and F35. It's also likely the based U2 and T38's will display, both of which would be highlights for me and a bit different from the norm.

That same weekend there is Dyess airshow in Texas with the Blue Angels, F22 and possibly a B1 display. There's also an airshow on the East coast which is already listing many of the smaller filler acts that weekend. Both of these could suck displays away from Beale. Another consideration is the possibility of a U2 display at RIAT this year given the current frequency of deployments to Fairford.

Does anybody have any suggestions / point of view or experience of going to Beale previously? Any info would be appreciated before I lay down the cash.

BDL

Re: Beale airshow or not?

Post by BDL »

How long are you thinking of going? Look at where else you can go that's within a reasonable distance. You're in driving distance of Leemore and Travis from Beale. (You could actually road trip it across to Vegas and Nellis via Rainbow Canyon as well - if they are flying there??)

Have you seen the T-Birds? As you say T-38's and U2's could be taking part. Only downside with California is that fuel is much higher than the rest of the country, so costs increase.

Whatever you do, you'll have a blast! Did my first US show last year and it was different :biggrin:
Last edited by BDL on Tue 07 Jan 2020, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Thanks for the reply. Very true about fuel costs in California. They seem to be raising too. My trip would be part of a larger road trip up the west coast and I can only afford 2 days dedicated to aviation. One will be an airshow hence looking at Beale. The other would normally be rainbow canyon however with the new arrangements following the crash, my usual spot is now out of bounds. Consequently, and inspired by a post by Fumbles, I'm considering trying a new lowfly location with a hill near Bumping Lake in Washington state the current favourite.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Have you considered the Planes of Fame airshow at Chino, California ?

I attended in 2014 and was blown away by it. A fabulous location with stunning topside shots available.

Whilst mostly concentrating on warbirds, there was a very good display by an F22, and had a very good heritage flight too :-

ImageUSAF Heritage Flight - Chino Airshow 2014 by Airwolfhound, on Flickr

ImageF22 Raptor - Chino Airshow 2014 by Airwolfhound, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

verreli

Post by verreli »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I see they have an A-10 scheduled so far.