RAAF bases

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Red Dragon

RAAF bases

Post by Red Dragon »

I'm going back to Aussie in February 2015 for Avalon but I'm also visiting for the first time RAAF Williamtown, RAN Nowra/ RNAS Albatross and RAAF Pierce. Does anyone have any advice on best locations around the bases for photography etc

Thanks in advance

AARDVARK

Re: RAAF bases

Post by AARDVARK »

Just be careful as they can be a bit tetchy on viewing outside sometimes.

IanH

Post by IanH »

The museums at both nowra and williamtown are accessible and it used to be ok to photograph from both. Nowra used to have an open cafe which looked over the airfield and approach. From memory, you can photograph under the approach at one end of each base. Museum at williamtown is against the sun. Photographing at/around the fence at both bases and tbh any Aussie base will result in a visit and you will almost certainly be moved. From experience, the guys come outside and wait until you do so.

Regards ian

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Thanks for your replies guys. I have already contacted the ADF concerning base visits and I got the reply "contact us nearer the time and we can sort something out for you" So I'm not worried about that. What I'd especially like to know is do you know if the operational cycles of the base is regular operations all day or do they operate in waves? Do the bases "shutdown" for a siesta?

I'm hoping to use the cafe facilities at both Nowra & Williamtown so I can catch the new 'Romeo' Seahawks and more Legacy Hornets. However if possible any info on the best locations, times of day (with the sun) etc.

:smile:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I would also be interested in any info for the Sydney area bases. Am going out for a few weeks in April 2016 for a wedding and have permission to sneak off spotting most days. Luckily we will be staying a couple of days in Newcastle so will have time for Williamstown and then a nice trip to Nowra.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

farnboroughrob wrote:I would also be interested in any info for the Sydney area bases. Am going out for a few weeks in April 2016 for a wedding and have permission to sneak off spotting most days. Luckily we will be staying a couple of days in Newcastle so will have time for Williamstown and then a nice trip to Nowra.

I'll give you a report of Williamtown & Nowra when I get back Rob :smile: . South East of Sydney is an army air corps base Holdsworthy, which will soon transition from Kiowa's to ex Townsville based Blackhawks. East of sydney is Richmond, the C-130 base (soon to have the C-27J as well) which I am told is a very friendly base. About 6 years ago a friend on holiday over there just pulled up at the base for a quick look and he asked at the guardhouse if he could take a few photos and the station WO was there and he took him for a tour around the base!

Thommo95

Post by Thommo95 »

A heads up with regards to visiting RAAF Richmond following three visits on a family holiday back in July. I made three visits, the third resulting in my name being taken and questioning. The issue being that we my have infringed upon the Commonwealth Act that states you must have prior permission in order to photograph active military operations and instillations. However, from what the RAAF Police police said this is relaxed to the fact that a image of a C-130 against blue sky is okay however the moment the aircraft passes the airfield boundary there may be an infringement upon the Commonwealth Act. However, even saying this the RAAF police were considering deleting some images of what potentially could have been on-board the aircraft, who knew the 7D had x-ray capabilities. I believe the issue was brought to attention by a white van that was on the external perimeter road that quickly returned to the active areas of the base just past where my Dad and brother were stood on the perimeter fence. The police informed us it is the duty of every service person to tell them of any photographers/ spotters, however considering we were stood in the 28 end layby on the main road into the base that didn't seem so true. The result of all this was being told to move on and not to return again! Take from this what you want we met a local there that said you won't be bothered but we did so who know's what the true situation is!

If you are planning a visit to RAAF Williamtown here is a useful link that shows the planned flying locations and intensity of flights in and around the Williamtown area;
http://www.airforce.gov.au/RAAFBases/Ne ... mJQltc8feu

I hope all this helps! :smile:

Nick
Canon 7D Mark II - Canon 100-400mm F/4-5.6L IS USM Mk.II
Flickr

Matt W.

Post by Matt W. »

Red Dragon wrote:Thanks for your replies guys. I have already contacted the ADF concerning base visits and I got the reply "contact us nearer the time and we can sort something out for you" So I'm not worried about that. What I'd especially like to know is do you know if the operational cycles of the base is regular operations all day or do they operate in waves? Do the bases "shutdown" for a siesta?

I'm hoping to use the cafe facilities at both Nowra & Williamtown so I can catch the new 'Romeo' Seahawks and more Legacy Hornets. However if possible any info on the best locations, times of day (with the sun) etc.

:smile:

G'day!

RAAF East Sale is a good base to visit! The best days to visit are weekdays after 9.00am, if you're lucky you might see the Roulette's out practicing!

If you drive down Cobains Road you will be able to view action on Runways 27 & 09. And if you drive down a bit further to Fosterton Road you will be able to view action on Runways 04 & 22.

If you want any more info feel free to send me a PM. :smile: