Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
exocet_uk

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Post by exocet_uk »

I wouldn't usually think much of the error but the fact that I'm going to an event with a night time air display in Australia only next week did unfortunately awake my irritating pedantic side!

They must love you.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Mike S. wrote:Is there a precedent for such a thing among the major teams?
The Koreans flew a single ship at Farnborough I thought, also the Reds once flew a four ship at (I think) Leeuwarden due to John Egging having passed away earlier and another pilot arriving ill.

Russian knights regularly fly mixed formations with 4 ships, combined displays with Swifts or full 6 ship display :)

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Been meaning to mention this for a while: anyone else noticed that the Firestars have gone from the participation list and their press release has been deleted? Weirdly, the Firestars still have Avalon down on their own website though. I've asked if they're still coming on Facebook but haven't received a response. Does anyone have any news?
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:Been meaning to mention this for a while: anyone else noticed that the Firestars have gone from the participation list and their press release has been deleted? Weirdly, the Firestars still have Avalon down on their own website though. I've asked if they're still coming on Facebook but haven't received a response. Does anyone have any news?

Can't even say I'd noticed they had been deleted off the website. I have to say though that the whole website seems to have become pretty quiet lately, nothing much else happening in the military visiting aircraft section.

Norman

Post by Norman »

As to explain why the Airshows Downunder website is quiet lately i would say it is because they have had a lengthy Xmas break !! many company's etc here are only just returning to work,

Its what happens here, i reckon their will be a flurry of activity shortly but don't sit on the edge of your seats for further big news i think the show will most likely be as you see it now ,and you will see big news being made of small additions, i could be wrong but its just my opinion

The weekend before the show is usually worth being close by (end of runway) as arrivals come in friday sat sun mon if you can

Cheers

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

I notice they told someone there will be a big update at the end of January (ie. the end of Feb allowing for their inevitable delays) but I expect you're right Norman.

Norman wrote:Its what happens here, i reckon their will be a flurry of activity shortly but don't sit on the edge of your seats for further big news i think the show will most likely be as you see it now ,and you will see big news being made of small additions, i could be wrong but its just my opinion
Adam Landau

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Some news: got a reply from the organisers regarding the Firestars: "We will be making an official announcement on ORIS's involvement at the Airshow later this week." So they haven't said 'yes, they're coming' and they haven't said 'oh, whoops, didn't mean to delete them from the website' so I think we can guess what this announcement will be.
Adam Landau

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Announcement on the Firestars: Oris were going to sponsor their trip to the show, but have recently decided to sponsor The Immortals from the USA instead. So in short, the Firestars won't be coming and instead Oris will be sponsoring a team that already had Avalon on their schedule anyway.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:Announcement on the Firestars: Oris were going to sponsor their trip to the show, but have recently decided to sponsor The Immortals from the USA instead. So in short, the Firestars won't be coming and instead Oris will be sponsoring a team that already had Avalon on their schedule anyway.

Rather strange carrying ons! :ninja: :grin:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Huh !!

Norman

Post by Norman »

In relation to this discussion

Just released

http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/P ... leases.asp

Cheers

Norm

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

A few more additions to the static line up. Nothing startling (or new) but still very welcome!

USAF
B-52 Stratofortress

Royal New Zealand Air Force
Boeing B-757 (Static Display. Thursday 26 February ONLY)

Japan Air Self Defense Force
Boeing KC-767 (Static Display. Wednesday 25 February - Saturday 28 February ONLY)
Pity there are no F-15's or F-4's following him :sad:

French Air Force
CN-235 (Static Display)

Not long to go now :yahoo:

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:A few more additions to the static line up. Nothing startling (or new) but still very welcome!

USAF
B-52 Stratofortress

Just to clarify, there will be two B-52s. One will fly past on Friday, the other will be on static. There will also be a second 757 on static the whole week from a civilian operator. The French will also send an A400M (in addition to the one Airbus has already confirmed), both will be on static.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:A few more additions to the static line up. Nothing startling (or new) but still very welcome!

USAF
B-52 Stratofortress

Just to clarify, there will be two B-52s. One will fly past on Friday, the other will be on static. There will also be a second 757 on static the whole week from a civilian operator. The French will also send an A400M (in addition to the one Airbus has already confirmed), both will be on static.

I know I just added the above as the majority of any others from here (UK/ UKAR) will be more interested in the static. As for the B-52 flyover, don't get to exited as they will probably just be a couple of level flypast at about 3,000Ft + I hope to be wrong. As for the A400, then it's just a pity its not be flying with Ed Strongman as the pilot then it would be a :dizzy: display with a take off nose up angle that the F-22 would be jealous of! :smile:

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

So the F-22 air display has been cancelled. Two examples will be on static only as the display pilots have other commitments. Some of the comments on their Facebook page are laughable - people don't seem to realise the time or costs involved in training and validating a display pilot and display routine and either saying "it's flying to Avalon, therefore it makes economic sense for it to do a flying display" or "everything's the organisers' fault, everyone is useless." Remind anyone of RIAT 2014?
Adam Landau

Norman

Post by Norman »

This is what Avalon is all about ! they have a great track record

Do not get me started

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Yes I am disappointed, however for me Avalon still has the Singapore “Black Knights” duo along with the following scenarios as explained in the latest edition of RAAF News…
- Air to Air (F/A-18F I assume) combat scenario
- Army Assault parachute from C-130J scenario
- A C-17 landing with troop deployment
- Ground assault (no mention if its infantry or armour)
- Air to Air Refuelling
- AP-3C Sequence (including the sinking of a mock submarine)
- Tiger ARH and MRH-90 infiltration and re-supply mission

Along with the large contingent of WW1 warbirds displaying.

So disappointing yes, but for someone from the UK, I’m still very much looking forward to photographing the whole display against (hopefully) clear blue skies, which we in the UK are never guaranteed!

Roll on Avalon :smile:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Adam L. wrote:Remind anyone of RIAT 2014?

No, because that star didn't even make it for static :grin:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Chrisse wrote:
Adam L. wrote:Remind anyone of RIAT 2014?

No, because that star didn't even make it for static :grin:

What star item? I don't recall a star attraction cancelling at RIAT 2014. :question:
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

aviodromefriend wrote:

What star item? I don't recall a star attraction cancelling at RIAT 2014. :question:

Ok, let me re-phrase that: An aircraft that some people with poor visual-quality perception were looking forward to. :ninja:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Chrisse wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

Ok, let me re-phrase that: An aircraft that some people with poor visual-quality perception were looking forward to. :ninja:

:grin: Very apt.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Red Dragon wrote: - AP-3C Sequence (including the sinking of a mock submarine)

Is there going to be a pond made to sink the mock submarine?

All sounds fun, so have a great time, not jealous at all. :mad: :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Chrisse wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

Oh come on, the Vulcan isn't that bad... :whistle: :whistle:

Norman

Post by Norman »

Red Dragon wrote:Yes I am disappointed, however for me Avalon still has the Singapore “Black Knights” duo along with the following scenarios as explained in the latest edition of RAAF News…
- Air to Air Refuelling

So disappointing yes, but for someone from the UK, I’m still very much looking forward to photographing the whole display against (hopefully) clear blue skies, which we in the UK are never guaranteed!

Roll on Avalon :smile:

Please don't take this reply as being negative i just wanted to point out....

Clear Blue skies !!! well you may be lucky, more likely 40 degrees then rain then wind then clouds , haze, all within a couple of hours !!!!!, then after mid day you are shooting into the sun ! also its normally reasonably windy but the last month has had some very windy days, lets hope that doesn't continue as it may play havoc with the WW1 aircraft, for which they have created extra grass strips for, which will be out of our line of sight for take offs and landings ,

It appears the main attraction will be the defence force attack sequence and the WW1 display, many warbirds are not attending as Avalon will not pay for fuel etc if true this is very dissapointing

However i am sure if you have never been before you will enjoy yourself , bring a raincoat, pullover,T shirts , a good hat sunglasses, and plenty of sunscreen ( which you need to put on even in cloudy conditions or you will get sunburnt due to the very high UV levels)

As i say i do hope havent taken the gloss out of it, what type of entry/pass do you have ?

The American contingent are due in next saturday 21st feb so i will be there to attempt to capture images of them arriving , quite a lot will arrive that weekend

Cheers

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

capercaillie wrote:
Red Dragon wrote: - AP-3C Sequence (including the sinking of a mock submarine)

Is there going to be a pond made to sink the mock submarine?

All sounds fun, so have a great time, not jealous at all. :mad: :biggrin:

I'll enjoy it a bit more on your behalf Capers :smile:

Norman wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:Yes I am disappointed, however for me Avalon still has the Singapore “Black Knights” duo along with the following scenarios as explained in the latest edition of RAAF News…
- Air to Air Refuelling

Roll on Avalon

Please don't take this reply as being negative i just wanted to point out....

Clear Blue skies !!! well you may be lucky, more likely 40 degrees then rain then wind then clouds , haze, all within a couple of hours !!!!!, then after mid day you are shooting into the sun ! also its normally reasonably windy but the last month has had some very windy days, lets hope that doesn't continue as it may play havoc with the WW1 aircraft, for which they have created extra grass strips for, which will be out of our line of sight for take offs and landings ,

It appears the main attraction will be the defence force attack sequence and the WW1 display, many warbirds are not attending as Avalon will not pay for fuel etc if true this is very dissapointing

However i am sure if you have never been before you will enjoy yourself , bring a raincoat, pullover,T shirts , a good hat sunglasses, and plenty of sunscreen ( which you need to put on even in cloudy conditions or you will get sunburnt due to the very high UV levels)

As i say i do hope havent taken the gloss out of it, what type of entry/pass do you have ?

The American contingent are due in next saturday 21st feb so i will be there to attempt to capture images of them arriving , quite a lot will arrive that weekend

Cheers

Don't worry Norman, you haven't taken the gloss off the show for me, I'll be carrying waterproofs and suntan lotion (just like UK airshows!) As on the Friday of Avalon 2013 was pretty nippy! I was there in 2013 with a media pass and I also have a media pass for this year, I'm landing in Aussie on 18th February however I'll be over in Newcastle/ Williamtown until the 25th and then I'll be attending the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Hopefully I'll be :sweat: while :rock: to the show and having a :icecream: as the day goes by :smile: