Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Norman

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Post by Norman »

Fair Enough

Have a great time

whitecat

Post by whitecat »

The flying programme has been released on their site: http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/PUBLIC/program/index.asp.
Just on the day you want to see.

Looking forward to it.

Norman

Post by Norman »

Singaporean F16's (3) arrived this afternoon

Cant say i am thrilled to bits with the flying programme as it looks on paper but i'm sure it will be fine in reality

What i am looking forward to is the AAA ( antique) show at Echuca in March with warbirds and classics coming from all over OZ, the last one at Echuca was a ripper, nice light for statics on friday evening and clear skies on the show days , roll on !

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Well a few years back the RAF did a role demo which in fairness was good but only lasted 20 or so minutes, this one at Avalon seems to be between 60 - 90 minutes in various segments. To me it looks awesome, but I'll finally get to see the Wedgetail in the sky and to see the RAAF Legecy hornet finally doing its thing.

A question for Norman or anyone who can answer, will the aircraft that are displaying in the role demo be operating from avalon (taking off and landing) or flying in from their respective bases every day doing the demo and then RTB? :snack:

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:Well a few years back the RAF did a role demo which in fairness was good but only lasted 20 or so minutes, this one at Avalon seems to be between 60 - 90 minutes in various segments. To me it looks awesome, but I'll finally get to see the Wedgetail in the sky and to see the RAAF Legecy hornet finally doing its thing.

A question for Norman or anyone who can answer, will the aircraft that are displaying in the role demo be operating from avalon (taking off and landing) or flying in from their respective bases every day doing the demo and then RTB? :snack:

I think nearly all (if not all) will fly from Avalon as most are also due to be on static display. Although I've heard "static" means parked somewhere on the other side of the runway, just too far away to get good photographs!
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net

Norman

Post by Norman »

Re Aircraft flying and static locations

The KC30 and Wedgetail may be in the static park But those flying could well operate from their respective bases and use the process as a training excercise, they are usually parked in the Heavies area where photos are easily obtained , having said that they can easily be taxied out to display, we will have to wait and see

The Singaporean F-16's are all likely to be in the fighter park and again easily accessed for pics so i shouldnt worry about getting near them

Hope this helps

Cheers

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Norman wrote:Re Aircraft flying and static locations

The KC30 and Wedgetail may be in the static park But those flying could well operate from their respective bases and use the process as a training excercise, they are usually parked in the Heavies area where photos are easily obtained , having said that they can easily be taxied out to display, we will have to wait and see

The Singaporean F-16's are all likely to be in the fighter park and again easily accessed for pics so i shouldnt worry about getting near them

Hope this helps

Cheers

I stand corrected
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Norman wrote:Re Aircraft flying and static locations

Hope this helps

Cheers

Many thanks Norman, I downoaded the airfield map and your description makes perfect sense :clap:

Norman

Post by Norman »

Just so you know i wasnt trying to correct anyone

I am not here to grandstand

Just here to help if i can

I'm too old, and too much of a has been and worn out to do anything else !!

Cheers Guys

Matt W.

Post by Matt W. »

According to the airshows Facebook page, the F-22 will no longer be doing a flying display... :sad:

https://www.facebook.com/AustralianInte ... 6537527018

Norman

Post by Norman »

Yes

take a look at the previous page

Norman

Post by Norman »

Singapore F16's during return to Avalon following display over Canberra

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/r2JSfh]Image[/url]NWL_5466 by nikon boy1, on Flickr/url]

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/rjhbYt]Image[/url]NWL_5468 by nikon boy1, on Flickr/url]

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/qnvVTP]Image[/url]NWL_5490 by nikon boy1, on Flickr/url]

Norman

Post by Norman »

F22 Raptors arriving early evening in front of a passing storm

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/rjbFb8]Image[/url]NWL_5861 by nikon boy1, on Flickr/url]

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/r2KRZh]Image[/url]NWL_5838 by nikon boy1, on Flickr/url]

ImageNWL_5866 by nikon boy1, on Flickr

Will spend more time processing these when i get time ! after the show

CJS

Post by CJS »

They look great don't they?

Edit - the f16s I mean ;-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

What stunning shots!

Still trying to get over the Black Knights' colour scheme, which is probably my favourite on any team. Now I'm waiting to see their display so I can find out whether they've added anything new from last year's excellent show. Their 6-ship is excellent (I prefer it over the Thunderbirds), but as for the 2-ship, we'll need to wait and see...
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Lovely shots Norman, looking forward to seeing them in real life :smile:

I spent the day at Williamtown today and photographed the "Worimi" F/A-18 (A21-23) take off, in all there are currently 5 special paint schemes based at Williamtown and there should be 3 at Avalon, hoping the other 2 (3 Sqn and grumpy monkey) rock up there on the day. :rock:

I can't post any photos as I have no access to photobucket until I get home :sad:

I can't wait to see it all! :snack:

Norman

Post by Norman »

Hi

I got the Worimi bird arriving today along with the others ( in a very dark sky) and am scheduled to attend unveiling tomorrow morning so fingers crossed

see you soon !

Cheers

Norm

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Norman wrote:Hi

I got the Worimi bird arriving today along with the others ( in a very dark sky) and am scheduled to attend unveiling tomorrow morning so fingers crossed

see you soon !

Cheers

Norm

I just got the F-35 presentation e-mail, I'd love to attend it but I'm mid air at the time from newcastle to melbourne! :mad:

Well roll on the show!

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

So Friday Night Alight is done, and I WISH I had been there! I've been sent this photo (http://thisisflight.net/features/2015-2 ... 15/hornet/) by my Australia contributor - stunning stuff!
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Well, I can honestly tell you that having seen dozens of Swiss, Finnish and Spanish F/A-18C displays this one blew them out of the water, it was superb also popping flares at the top of loops helped but the max G turn with afterburner was just :hypno:

I can't wait to photograph the display in full daylight (not twilight like tonight) tomorrow. If the F/A-18C pilot is reading this, then :clap: to him!

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:Well, I can honestly tell you that having seen dozens of Swiss, Finnish and Spanish F/A-18C displays this one blew them out of the water, it was superb also popping flares at the top of loops helped but the max G turn with afterburner was just :hypno:

I can't wait to photograph the display in full daylight (not twilight like tonight) tomorrow. If the F/A-18C pilot is reading this, then :clap: to him!

The RAAF Hornet at the Singapore Airshow was excellent, even without the flares. I can only imagine what that was like...
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:Well, I can honestly tell you that having seen dozens of Swiss, Finnish and Spanish F/A-18C displays this one blew them out of the water, it was superb also popping flares at the top of loops helped but the max G turn with afterburner was just :hypno:

The RAAF Hornet at the Singapore Airshow was excellent, even without the flares. I can only imagine what that was like...

He wasn't liberal with them, which was ok, he just popped 5 at the top of the loop, but he really put the afterburners on, and the twig blight just made the burners stick out more, really looking forward to the display later.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

One day I'll attend as it looks amazing. Love the photo's! That F-22,Hawaii tail code? wasn't aware there were Raptors based there! I thought it was Holloman or Alaska they were based at "HO" "AK" tailcodes. :oops:
Card carrying aviation addict!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

stratocaster wrote:One day I'll attend as it looks amazing. Love the photo's! That F-22,Hawaii tail code? wasn't aware there were Raptors based there! I thought it was Holloman or Alaska they were based at "HO" "AK" tailcodes. :oops:

If you do go to Avalon 2017, Make sure you have a platinum Mastercard/ Barclaycard if you want to buy a Raptor T-shirt. The RAAF/ Army/ RAN, Singaporean, USN P-8 and USAF B-52 T-shirts were on sale for $20-30 AusD (£10-15-ish) each. The F-22 T-shirts were on sale for $60-80 AusD (£30-40-ish) each. The Australians in true style were telling them they were overpriced! All the other T-shirts were sold out by Saturday afternoon, but the Raptor ones were still on the table!

I'm thinking of going to Avalon 2017 (my third) so if you have any questions about the show/ planning for the show feel free to ask.