LIMA 2015 - best airshow of the year?

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Adam L.

LIMA 2015 - best airshow of the year?

Post by Adam L. »

I was hoping to get to this airshow but in the end couldn't make it, which is annoying considering the lineup! I was just wondering if anyone else was going, I'd be interested to hear about it. The lineup for the flying is as follows:

Malaysia - Krisakti (x4 Extra 300), solo Extra 300, RMAF formations (Su-30s, Hawks, MB339s, F/A-18s, A400M)
China - August 1st (x6 J-10)
Singapore - Black Knights (x6 F-16)
Russia - Russian Knights (x6 Su-27)
United Arab Emirates - Al Fursan (x7 MB-339)
Indonesia - Team Jupiter (x6 K-1)
United States - F-16, C-17
France - Rafale
Thailand - Gripen (TBC)

The static display will include such aircraft as the F/A-18, Su-30, Typhoon, KC-135, C-130 and B-52.

The air displays will be held from 17th-21st March (Monday-Friday) this year at Langkawi Intl. Airport, Malaysia, with maritime displays during the same period on the coast. There will be about 100 attending aircraft and 50 warships vessels. Even as the only show in the region to have recently attracted the Russian Knights and Red Arrows, plus a very memorable display by the Smokey Bandits and some interesting role demos, I think this year will be its best show yet. Besides, it costs about 2 pounds and there's no rules about crowd overflights!
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: LIMA 2015 - best airshow of the year?

Post by Wissam24 »

Wow!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Thai Gripen, A380 (FP) and B-52 (FP) confirmed for flying display
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

It's the only show I read a preview from (either 2013 or 2011) which required civilians (the general public) to be formally and respectfully dressed!

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:It's the only show I read a preview from (either 2013 or 2011) which required civilians (the general public) to be formally and respectfully dressed!

It's an annoying show to watch if you're the public. Not only do you need to wear formal clothes in 30 degree heat but they also don't open the ticket office until 10:00, which is when the flying starts. It's such a pain that most people view from outside, and they actually cut the trees back before the show so you get a better view from the top of the hill opposite the runway, which is amazing as it would be like the Duxford organisers setting up a car park in the 'naughty field'!
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:It's the only show I read a preview from (either 2013 or 2011) which required civilians (the general public) to be formally and respectfully dressed!

It's an annoying show to watch if you're the public. Not only do you need to wear formal clothes in 30 degree heat but they also don't open the ticket office until 10:00, which is when the flying starts. It's such a pain that most people view from outside, and they actually cut the trees back before the show so you get a better view from the top of the hill opposite the runway, which is amazing as it would be like the Duxford organisers setting up a car park in the 'naughty field'!

Imagine then if RIAT did that for those in Rhymes Field/ Farm!!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Adam L. wrote:It's an annoying show to watch if you're the public. Not only do you need to wear formal clothes in 30 degree heat.

Is LIMA not a trade show/exhibition..? Therefore the wearing of business attire should be expected. I visited Dubai Airshow in 2013 and wore a suit, and it was 35 degrees there! :handbag:

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

PeterR wrote:
Adam L. wrote:It's an annoying show to watch if you're the public. Not only do you need to wear formal clothes in 30 degree heat.

Is LIMA not a trade show/exhibition..? Therefore the wearing of business attire should be expected. I visited Dubai Airshow in 2013 and wore a suit, and it was 35 degrees there! :handbag:

I don't know about Dubai. This is on the public days - do you have to wear formal clothes to the public days in Dubai or just the trade days? Certainly in Farnborough and Singapore you don't.

I think it might be partly a cultural thing though. I live out here and I know in some countries it is considered rude to show your feet, shoulders or knees, to ensuring everyone wears formal clothing stops foreign visitors turning up in shorts and flip flops!
Adam Landau

Macc

Post by Macc »

I visited on the public days of 2013 in a tee shirt underneath a casual shirt, light sand coloured chinos and some pretty grubby trainers. I think Adam is right in saying its a cultural thing.

Great show btw, if you have any questions about the show from the inside on the public days feel free to ask me.

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Bad news:
Russian Knights have been cancelled. The Black Knights will fly a 2-ship like at Avalon, not a 6-ship. Still going to be a great show though.
Adam Landau

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Well LIMA's off to a bad start then. Bit of a shock to find that I was speaking to one of the pilots involved only three days ago. I wish him a speedy recovery http://www.malaysiandigest.com/frontpag ... ima-1.html
Adam Landau

sashobest

Post by sashobest »

Two KT-1B Woong Bee aircraft from Indonesian Air Force's "Jupiter Aerobatic Team" collided today at 2pm during a rehearsal flight and crashed in to the ground at LIMA 2015 airshow.
All four occupants ejected safely and were taken to the hospital by Fire and Rescue Services Department crew.

Source: http://aerobaticteams.net/news/2015/jupiter-aerobatic-team-crash.html