MAKS 2019

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Berf

Re: MAKS 2019

Post by Berf »

Go4Long wrote:If I were to rent a car would I be able to get there or fairly close?

During MAKS-2019 (from August 27 till September 1) road traffic in the city district Zhukovsky (in Russian: “Жуковский”) is allowed for the vehicles with MAKS vehicle pass only.

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

For people going to the river side. I went there several years and didn't have any problems. The area near the river just has dirt farm roads that are very rough and if it rains you could get stuck so park in the village. If your phone sim card works in Moscow get the Google Translator App that you can speak into and it translates to Russian. If you get a taxi take a paper printout of the Google Map so you can point to exactly where you want to go. Agree on a price before you go. Moscow taxi drivers will negotiate up front and they will rip off tourists. You might have your hotel find a local cab for that area and call them for you . Make sure you arrange for them to pick you up at the end of the day because you wont find a bus or taxi in that area. There is a train from Moscow that goes to the train station near the air show and there are shuttle buses on the public days for sure and maybe the business days. Russians going to the airshow get very pushy on the buses and act like the bus in front of them is the last bus in the world even though there are 25 buses lined up right behind it . The river view is the best . The sun is behind you and the planes fly right over your head. The people are very friendly. If you go on the base be very careful not to go outside the roped off area. There are all sorts of old military planes sitting on ramps all over the place that are very tempting to sneak over to see but you may be arrested for doing so. A group of Dutch Spotters were detained for several hours for being in an area that was off limits to airshow spectators. Enjoy the show !

Sultan of Wings

Post by Sultan of Wings »

Grunt087 wrote:For people going to the river side. I went there several years and didn't have any problems. The area near the river just has dirt farm roads that are very rough and if it rains you could get stuck so park in the village. If your phone sim card works in Moscow get the Google Translator App that you can speak into and it translates to Russian. If you get a taxi take a paper printout of the Google Map so you can point to exactly where you want to go. Agree on a price before you go. Moscow taxi drivers will negotiate up front and they will rip off tourists. You might have your hotel find a local cab for that area and call them for you . Make sure you arrange for them to pick you up at the end of the day because you wont find a bus or taxi in that area. There is a train from Moscow that goes to the train station near the air show and there are shuttle buses on the public days for sure and maybe the business days. Russians going to the airshow get very pushy on the buses and act like the bus in front of them is the last bus in the world even though there are 25 buses lined up right behind it . The river view is the best . The sun is behind you and the planes fly right over your head. The people are very friendly. If you go on the base be very careful not to go outside the roped off area. There are all sorts of old military planes sitting on ramps all over the place that are very tempting to sneak over to see but you may be arrested for doing so. A group of Dutch Spotters were detained for several hours for being in an area that was off limits to airshow spectators. Enjoy the show !

Thanks a lot for your information and advice. I want to be on all sides, industry day, public day, and at the river spot. I am spending a week in Moscow for the air show, not as a tourist.
My contacts in Moscow will help for as much as they can.

First time at MAKS. I want it to be a great time, rain or shine!

:wave:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Visa arrived yesterday - ready to rock!!! Now if we only knew what was going to be there.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Wissam24 wrote:Visa arrived yesterday - ready to rock!!! Now if we only knew what was going to be there.

Can you imagine the RIAT thread if a month before the show the only thing announced was a PC-24 and that the Russians will be there?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Or to be more accurate, a PC-24 and the RAF!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Sultan of Wings

Wissam24 wrote:Visa arrived yesterday - ready to rock!!! Now if we only knew what was going to be there.

Going with a group or solo travel? Will you be visiting industry and public shows?

I am still pondering if first day at the trade show is best or second day. It will be crowded the same.

Still waiting for my visa. It takes a bit long where I am. Long way to the visa office also. I am doing it all myself. Every penny saved can be spent on site.

:clap:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Bit of both. Not with a tour group. I have a press pass so will probably go in on industry days and outside a couple of days, but I have a few mates in Moscow so I'll see if they want to go to the show, if they do I'll go on Saturday

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Wissam24 wrote:Bit of both. Not with a tour group. I have a press pass so will probably go in on industry days and outside a couple of days, but I have a few mates in Moscow so I'll see if they want to go to the show, if they do I'll go on Saturday

I went with the media platform for the Saturday...if it is indeed where it sounds like it is that will be quite the fun time. Sunday in the show grounds. Probably do Monday and Tuesday in Moscow (have to go in to town to pick my tickets up anyway) and Wednesday to Friday at the river.

Sultan of Wings

Wissam24 wrote:Bit of both. Not with a tour group. I have a press pass so will probably go in on industry days and outside a couple of days, but I have a few mates in Moscow so I'll see if they want to go to the show, if they do I'll go on Saturday

A Press pass is really convenient. Bloggers can also get press passes nowadays. There was no such thing in the 60's until the late 70's or mid 80's.

I am solo. Part of the older geeks. I am not sure if one day in the trade show would be enough as I haven't been to previous shows. It's not only aviation I want to see but also Space. I want to meet with the Roscosmos people. Maybe I can luck with some cosmonauts.

I am also expecting to meet others from other places. Friends from Iran and contacts from other parts of Russia, Omsk, Ufa, Novosibirsk and from Moscow... I will have to see who wants to go to a public day. Definitely planning to go to the red zone by the river.

Rain or shine.

:pinkwafer:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Wissam24 wrote:Or to be more accurate, a PC-24 and the RAF!

It's funny...I don't know that the over the top communication expected from RIAT makes it better.

More just a funny contrast for the expectations of each. No communication from Russia? situation normal. No communication from RIAT? the end of airshows as we know them.

Berf

Post by Berf »

What benefits does anyone see for the media platform over standing outside?

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Berf wrote:What benefits does anyone see for the media platform over standing outside?

From the description it appears to be an elevated platform, sun at your back, with an unobstructed view of the runway...but I could be wrong.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Go4Long wrote:
Berf wrote:What benefits does anyone see for the media platform over standing outside?

From the description it appears to be an elevated platform, sun at your back, with an unobstructed view of the runway...but I could be wrong.

But are you likely to be more underneath the aircraft which IMHO is not as good as being to the side and as soon as the aircraft is off the display axis you will all be turning around back into the sun (or the back of another photographers head)....

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Berf wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

But are you likely to be more underneath the aircraft which IMHO is not as good as being to the side and as soon as the aircraft is off the display axis you will all be turning around back into the sun (or the back of another photographers head)....

Like you say, the media platform can be a bit underneath the fast jet displays, however, it is good for runway shots and any helicopter displays. Outside is great for the fast jets, but poor for any vintage aircraft or helicopters (unless they pass you on their way to start their display).

Berf

Post by Berf »

This isn't helping me decide :confused: :smile:

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Berf wrote:This isn't helping me decide :confused: :smile:

I can't decide either. I am planning to go to MAKS for 4 days, and I've not yet decided whether I should go 4 days straight to the Media Platform or go for 2 days of Media Platform and 2 days of riverside.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I would definitely recommend doing a couple of days outside just for the fast jets and display teams, IMO the media platform is a bit of a luxury and I'm only doing the one day on the platform to get some takeoff and helicopter shots.

If you do decide to do the platform you have the option to pay on the day (slightly more expensive, and may have sold out), or buy in advance, however, if you buy in advance you will need to collect your tickets in person from one of the offices in Moscow.

Of course, if it's overcast you'll get reasonable shots from either side of the runway...

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

jalfrezi wrote:I would definitely recommend doing a couple of days outside just for the fast jets and display teams, IMO the media platform is a bit of a luxury and I'm only doing the one day on the platform to get some takeoff and helicopter shots.

If you do decide to do the platform you have the option to pay on the day (slightly more expensive, and may have sold out), or buy in advance, however, if you buy in advance you will need to collect your tickets in person from one of the offices in Moscow.

Of course, if it's overcast you'll get reasonable shots from either side of the runway...

I thought the tickets were online E-tickets and I have to just register prior to the program.

Where is this office and what is the working hours??

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

DealerNation wrote:Where is this office and what is the working hours??

The business and public tickets are e-tickets, the platform isn't.

Tickets in Parter.ru offices
Parter.ru at Monarch Shopping Mall
Address: 31a Leningradskiy Avenue, Moscow. Dinamo metro station.
Open hours: daily 10 am - 9 pm
Telephone: 74952580000 (call-center)br>

Office in the House of Actors (Dom Aktera)
Address: Smolenskaya or Arbatskaya metro , Arbat street 35. Entrance from Kaloshin sidestreet.
Open hours: Mo-Fr 12-20, Sa-Su 12-19 no breaks.
Telephones: +7 499 248 00 03; +7 499 241 07 40.

This is a free delivery type.

Please note: you will need a special code to get your order in the outlet. You will receive it in the order confirmation letter via email; it is also available in your Personal account on our website.

Berf

Post by Berf »

While I get the runway and helicopter points for me those benefits don't outweigh the 'under the display axis' possibility especially at 140 pounds for the platform ticket (or more if you buy it close to the event

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

As another question for previous attendees, is it worth it to bring a scanner or not really since most of the chatter would probably be in Russian?

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

jalfrezi wrote:
DealerNation wrote:Where is this office and what is the working hours??

The business and public tickets are e-tickets, the platform isn't.

Tickets in Parter.ru offices
Parter.ru at Monarch Shopping Mall
Address: 31a Leningradskiy Avenue, Moscow. Dinamo metro station.
Open hours: daily 10 am - 9 pm
Telephone: 74952580000 (call-center)br>

Office in the House of Actors (Dom Aktera)
Address: Smolenskaya or Arbatskaya metro , Arbat street 35. Entrance from Kaloshin sidestreet.
Open hours: Mo-Fr 12-20, Sa-Su 12-19 no breaks.
Telephones: +7 499 248 00 03; +7 499 241 07 40.

This is a free delivery type.

Please note: you will need a special code to get your order in the outlet. You will receive it in the order confirmation letter via email; it is also available in your Personal account on our website.

Thanks for the info. The office in Monarch Mall seems like the one where I should get my tickets from.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

DealerNation wrote:
Thanks for the info. The office in Monarch Mall seems like the one where I should get my tickets from.

You're welcome, also, make sure you take photo ID with you when you collect them.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Go4Long wrote:As another question for previous attendees, is it worth it to bring a scanner or not really since most of the chatter would probably be in Russian?

Personally I wouldn't' bring a scanner.. It'll be a useful as a paperweight as the comms will mostly be in Russian unless they have a Foreign visiting team. Plus in all reality.. I'm not even sure if a scanner is allowed in Russia. I did not see a single scanner being used at all in 2017. I left mine in the UK after RIAT last time, I don't fancy a Russian jail cell so didn't take the chance.