MAKS 2019

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Draken

Re: MAKS 2019

Post by Draken »

In 2017 Media Platform was very crowded (Thursday - non public day). Lot of space was taken by group of rather unpleasant Chinese spotters ("I have big lens and I need a lot of room!").
Hope you'll have better experience :)

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

AlphaVictor wrote:I like the idea of the media platform but having seen a picture it looks a bit small. Wondering if it gets crowded and ends up in the Russian equivalent of a bun fight?

AV

Yes it is quite small, but can fit a large number of people. The problem as you would have seen about the stand it that is just a flat levelled scaffold. Getting busy it does create a few arguments.

Go4Long wrote:Would all the static be in place on the Thursday? And would you be allowed to cruise through it? Might be a better choice due to the limited airshow than the Sunday for doing statics.

2017 everything was placed in static by Tuesday morning. We actually cruised through the static Tuesday morning and again in the afternoon just before the end of the day. Edited for the second part of your question... Saturday and Sunday are apparently a gongshow! You are seriously standing shoulder to shoulder with no room. You are better to do the statics on a Business day.

Draken wrote:In 2017 Media Platform was very crowded (Thursday - non public day). Lot of space was taken by group of rather unpleasant Chinese spotters ("I have big lens and I need a lot of room!").

Yeap heard about that.... This year China being a "partner" in the show... Everyone be prepared for a whole lot more of that!

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Fumbles wrote:
Yeap heard about that.... This year China being a "partner" in the show... Everyone be prepared for a whole lot more of that!

I'm still kind of holding out a hope for a J-20 Demo...

Today they announced a random flight from Kazan Airport to Zhukovsky on August 28th on a "Canadian Airlines CRJ-200"

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Draken wrote:In 2017 Media Platform was very crowded (Thursday - non public day). Lot of space was taken by group of rather unpleasant Chinese spotters ("I have big lens and I need a lot of room!").

May I ask what time you got to the Media Platform? Should I get there early to avoid all the mess out there? How early should I get there?

Draken

Post by Draken »

DealerNation wrote:

May I ask what time you got to the Media Platform? Should I get there early to avoid all the mess out there? How early should I get there?

There are buses from Media Center, not sure what time they start the shuttle service. I guess platform was open from 10am, however I'm not sure.
I would recommend to head directly to Media Center first thing you enter the area, probably there will be a list for each bus.

Sultan of Wings

Post by Sultan of Wings »

My visa is ready for pick up.

I am making the trip to the Visa Services in Paris first thing in the morning to retrieve my passport with the visa. At least I am sure it will not get lost in the mail or delayed. Worth the trouble.

I am thinking of taking a MAKS river boat excursion from Moscow to the air show and back. I don''t think the price is outrageously costly comparing with what they are charging for the media platform which is 3 times the cost of the boat tour.
(Thanks Google Translate)
metro Kashirskaya, exit from the metro number 4. Passengers will be met at the exit of the metro by our employees with signs that will read

I think I will do the Saturday. They are starting really early. Says 12 hours total with 6 hours at the air show. No worry being elbow to elbow with the crowd.
https://www.getyourguide.com/moscow-l18 ... rtner=true

From the tickets website it seems each Trade day ticket purchase also gives access to a public day included in the ticket price. Sill waiting to find out which flight deck crew will bring the carbon design A350-900 prototype to the air show. I thought they might take -1000, but not.
Aside from the air show I want to visit a couple of rooftop bars for sunset time cocktails and fabulous views. These are the ones that really pique my interest. They are not cheap, rather high end. You get what you pay for as they say. I will be in Moscow this time, who knows what next...

O2 Lounge at The Ritz Carlton
https://www.o2loungerestaurant.com/

Conservatory Lounge & Bar Terrace
https://en.conservatorybar.com/

Insight restaurant 84th floor OKO Tower
http://insight.354group.com/en/

Views! :wave:

My contacts from Omsk will be at the 26 August Media preview. They have press passes.

I hope the weather will cooperate.

:pinkwafer:

Edited: 30 May MAKS boat cruise booked.

:wave:
Last edited by Sultan of Wings on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berf

Post by Berf »

From the tickets website it seems each Trade day ticket purchase also gives access to a public day included in the ticket price.

?? Does it say that?

Sultan of Wings

Berf wrote:From the tickets website it seems each Trade day ticket purchase also gives access to a public day included in the ticket price.

?? Does it say that?

Well yes.

I am surprised you did not see it. I always read these ticket pages between the lines, purchase conditions, everything. It's my hard earned retirement money after all.

Category
BUSINESS ANY DAY ENTRY TICKET AUGUST 27 - SEPTEMBER 1

Price
2800 RUR early bird sale, until and including the 25th of August

3000 RUR from the 26th of August and on location on the day of visit

Ticket cost includes

Single visit on any day between the 30th of August and the 1st of September.

The ticket gives the right to enter the territory of MAKS-2019, visit expositions inside the pavilions and review aviation exhibits at the static exposition. On business days from the 27th to the 29th of August demonstration flights will take place according to a special schedule. On the days from the 30th of August to the 1st of September the flight program will take place throughout the whole day with the participation of the best aerobatic teams. Children under 14 years old are admitted free of charge when accompanied by adult family members.

https://www.parter.ru/campaign/en/maks2 ... 32467ce363

:cool:

Berf

Post by Berf »

Ok well this may be lost in translation but from the way you put it:

From the tickets website it seems each Trade day ticket purchase also gives access to a public day included in the ticket price.

you infer that you can enter on a trade day AND on a public day additionally

From the website text is says a single visit - on any day.

But maybe that's the way I read it. My thought was that you may be disappointed if you had misinterpreted the text.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

There’s a post on the Facebook page about August 1st being in the sky over Moscow, but I can’t figure out if they’re saying they’re coming this year or just taking about the fact that they’ve been there in the past.

Berf

Post by Berf »

It's just about them being in the past - but we can hope...

Berf

Post by Berf »

At MAKS 2019, Russian manufacturers will be unveiling the fifth-generation Su-57E multi-role fighter jet and the Il-112VE light military transport aircraft, the hottest and most anticipated new products of recent years. Rosoboronexport is ready, at the request of foreign partners, to present these aircraft and turn a new page in promoting state-of-the-art aircraft systems in the world market. I’m sure the interest in them will be massive,” said Alexander Mikheev, Rosoboronexport’s Director General and Deputy Chairman of the Russian Engineering Union.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Berf wrote:At MAKS 2019, Russian manufacturers will be unveiling the fifth-generation Su-57E multi-role fighter jet and the Il-112VE light military transport aircraft, the hottest and most anticipated new products of recent years. Rosoboronexport is ready, at the request of foreign partners, to present these aircraft and turn a new page in promoting state-of-the-art aircraft systems in the world market. I’m sure the interest in them will be massive,” said Alexander Mikheev, Rosoboronexport’s Director General and Deputy Chairman of the Russian Engineering Union.

Are they saying this will be the first flying display with the new engines? I'm confused again.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Su-57E is export version
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Wissam24 wrote:Su-57E is export version

#NewFighterForCanada

Kidding...I make fun of people suggesting that we get anything Soviet made.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The Su-57 isn't Soviet made though :wink:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Wissam24 wrote:The Su-57 isn't Soviet made though :wink:

Antagonist made? lol

You would honestly probably be surprised (or maybe not) how often people suggest that we get Mig 29's, or after the MAKS 2017 performance by the SU-35 we got a lot of people suggesting that.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Berf wrote:Ok well this may be lost in translation but from the way you put it:

you infer that you can enter on a trade day AND on a public day additionally

From the website text is says a single visit - on any day . Stagger Edit

But maybe that's the way I read it. My thought was that you may be disappointed if you had misinterpreted the text.

I'm with you Berf "From the website text is says a single visit - on any day." IMO the written text means that you can buy a ticket in advance at a reduced price, or for more at the gate which is 'non-day specific' allowing you to enter on one of the days within the dates noted. Even in Mother Russia there is no such thing as a Free Lunch! :wink: :smile:

Sultan of Wings

A question for MAKS regulars.

For those who will be at the riverside point off the air show grounds or on a MAKS boat cruise, which lens focal do you recommend from your own experience being so close to the planes or right under them? 55mm, 70mm or higher?

I will have Nikon 28-55 and Nikon 70-300 VR lenses.
28mm will probably come useful for the static displays though SU-57 is so wide I am not sure I will be able to fit it in the 28mm frame.

Your thoughts?

:ghost:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Sultan of Wings

From my experience in 2017 you are not really close to the aircraft near the river. Close enough but not so close that you could get away with 70mm an under.

Just an example.. I shot this with a Sigma 50-500mm EXIF shows I shot it at 360mm and this is also a small crop. In reallity looking at my album.. most of my shots from the River area were around the 475mm (Sigma goes soft at max of 500mm so I try and max it out at 475) mark with cropping.

ImageIMGP2119 by rod.mcdonough, on Flickr

Sultan of Wings

Fumbles wrote:Sultan of Wings

From my experience in 2017 you are not really close to the aircraft near the river. Close enough but not so close that you could get away with 70mm an under.

Just an example.. I shot this with a Sigma 50-500mm EXIF shows I shot it at 360mm and this is also a small crop. In reallity looking at my album.. most of my shots from the River area were around the 475mm (Sigma goes soft at max of 500mm so I try and max it out at 475) mark with cropping.

ImageIMGP2119 by rod.mcdonough, on Flickr

Hola! Nice SU-57 picture!
Thanks a Million for your comments and info. This is very precious.

I am a woman (who would have thought) and an old Concord-ian from the very first test flights in Toulouse to all the final ferry flights both sides of the Channel. Also followed Concorde around the world. I flew on Trans-Atlantic but there was no way I could afford round-the-world flights. I have done a lot of 35mm self processed black and white pictures in my days.

Also some football and high speed F1 motor racing in Monaco and Monza with my old Nikon Fs/NIkkormat(s).

I think 300 mm is as far as I can carry. I had multple fractures on my left arm. A nasty street accident. I am not sure I could handle a 500mm hand held VR lens.

https://www.camerastuffreview.com/en/ni ... e-pf-ed-vr

Sultan of Wings

I forgot a question.

Have any of you purchased your air show tickets online through the Parter website?

If so what exchange rate did you get for your debit card purchases? Not trying to evaluate your wealth and how much you are able to spend on your trip.

My question is strictly on the exchange rate and how much extra they charged you for the debit card transaction.

https://www1.oanda.com/currency/converter/

I am doing a self-learn course trying to learn as much Russian language as I can, reading and understanding basic sentences. Sadly not much time so I am not progressing very fast.

I will see if I can do more intensive before Ileave 26 August. I will do some on the planes before I reach Moscow.

This is my online course. It's very good!
http://www.russianlessons.net/lessons/l ... XzE4v5la_0

So... who is leaving when? How many UKARs are making the trip?

:wave:

Berf

Post by Berf »

From another badly translated publication although they may have been mentioned before:

Ms21-300 flying and static

Mi 38 flying and static

KA-62 'will be shown in new configuration'

Sultan of Wings

Berf wrote:From another badly translated publication although they may have been mentioned before:

Ms21-300 flying and static

Mi 38 flying and static

KA-62 'will be shown in new configuration'

Thank you very much for this. We have very little information on which aircraft will be doing aerial presentations on which days.

Sultan of Wings

Thank you Iran. I will come for a visit.
See you next week!

Iran to attend Russia Int'l Aerospace Exhibition

Iran has always participated the event actively and this year an Iranian delegation headed by deputy defense minister Brigadier General Bani-Tarafi is to attend the upcoming exhibition.

-50%
https://en.irna.ir/news/83443958/Iran-t ... Kb7FMvFG80