MAKS 2019

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Go4Long

MAKS 2019

Post by Go4Long »

Alright, hotels are booked and visa app is filled out. I'll be heading from RIAT to Moscow for 2019.

Who's planning on heading to MAKS 2019?

Berf

Re: MAKS 2019 Roll Call

Post by Berf »

Probably same - but hotel has just cancelled - beware... if Russian hotels get a better offer they dump you....

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Berf wrote:Probably same - but hotel has just cancelled - beware... if Russian hotels get a better offer they dump you....

Hmmm... I avoided this problem for MAKS 2017 by booking myself into a veritable flea-pit, who were presumably equally thrilled and bemused to have a visitor from Western Europe. (Seriously, the state of this place had to be seen to be believed however it was at least clean, and as cheap as chips).
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I booked in by the DME Airport. It's a ways drive away, but I'm ok with it...

Decent looking hotel, and given the general cost of rooms in Moscow seems to be cheap like borscht, I went for the upgrade./

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Well you must have been reading my mind as I was sat here thinking about posting the very same question.

I booked my flights on Tuesday , Heathrow to Sheremetyevo with Aeroflot so next job is the Hotel booking and then the Visa app and then a visit to London VFS Centre and then a sigh of relief when hopefully my Passport comes back with the Visa stamped and in place..
It may seem like a lot of hassle to some people but I wouldn’t miss it for the World, fantastic Airshow, amazing static line up, raid the Halls for freebies, reminds me of Farnborough ?? ( 20 years back). If you’re in two minds I’d say go for it but don’t just take my word for it ask anyone on here who’s been before .

Just for info, my choice of Hotel is the Alfa at Izmailovo cos it’s cheap, clean and 2 feet from a Metro station.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

spaceward wrote:Well you must have been reading my mind as I was sat here thinking about posting the very same question.

I booked my flights on Tuesday , Heathrow to Sheremetyevo with Aeroflot so next job is the Hotel booking and then the Visa app and then a visit to London VFS Centre and then a sigh of relief when hopefully my Passport comes back with the Visa stamped and in place..
It may seem like a lot of hassle to some people but I wouldn’t miss it for the World, fantastic Airshow, amazing static line up, raid the Halls for freebies, reminds me of Farnborough ?? ( 20 years back). If you’re in two minds I’d say go for it but don’t just take my word for it ask anyone on here who’s been before .

Just for info, my choice of Hotel is the Alfa at Izmailovo cos it’s cheap, clean and 2 feet from a Metro station.

I'm at ibis Moscow Domodedovo. Reviews looked good and it was cheap. I'm PLANNING on driving at this point. Although I might change that and book a different hotel later maybe.

It was only about $400 CDN more for me to add Moscow flights on to my London round trip, so I figured it would have to be worth it.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm hoping to stay with friend(s) so hopefully I won't encounter this issue!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

HI,

Hope you guys are aware that the dates are still not set in stone, the original end of July dates are highly likely to be changed to end of August.

Regards
Marc

Berf

Post by Berf »

MAKS-2019 Air Show May Start Late in August
MAKS20 November 2018 0:37
The timeframes for the MAKS-2019 airspace exhibition may defer for a month, from the late July to the end of August or early September, the sponsors of the show, Aviasalon JSC told Mil.Press Today.

"The deferral is caused by the dates of the Army-2019 forum. Although there are no official documents so far, we’re about to arrange MAKS between August 27 and September 1", said an insider in Aviasalon JSC.

However, the event's official website still displays the old dates, June 23-28. According to the interviewee, the changes will not have any effect on the registration of participants that is going on since April.

An official from the Ministry of Industry and Trade confirmed the information about the request of MAKS-2019 sponsors to defer the show for a month. Currently, the document is pending governmental approval.

As was recently reported, the Russian Defense Ministry decided to hold the Army-2019 forum in June. Due to this, managers of the International Maritime Defense Show (IMDS) have to postpone the exhibition as well.

The International airspace show MAKS is held since 1993. MAKS-2019 will take pace in Zhukovsky, Moscow Region. Earlier on, the minister of industry and trade Denis Manturov announced China would be Russia’s partner at the air show.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

That would definitely be unfortunate...

The only reason I can make the trip work is because it was cheapish to add on following RIAT...I don't think I would be able to convince the wife on a second trip overseas a month after the first.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Sadly that happened last MAKS. They made the announcement if I remember right, 3 months before the show. That resulted in us having to reapply for a duel entry VISA and in Canadian Funds... was around $650 ! After having that problem again it was a clash with Army show, I'll wait till April or May, maybe even June to book this time around.

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Bloody typical ! 2 years ago I had to change my flights as the dates were moved from late August to late July and now it's looking like I'll have to do the same but in reverse ! For Christs sake make a decision and stick with it ( he says staring Putin eye to eye ??? )

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

I'm planning to go, but I've read articles that it's backlit inside the airport. Then where do photographers normally go? Is it easy to get there?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

DealerNation wrote:I'm planning to go, but I've read articles that it's backlit inside the airport. Then where do photographers normally go? Is it easy to get there?

The far bank of the Moskva river is easily accessible and places you south* of the display line, thus helping with the backlit issue.

If you'll forgive a moment of self-promotion, I wrote a review of the 2017 show for UKAR which you can read here which contains a description of the photo opportunities both inside and out.

*In truth you're pretty much directly underneath the flying display when standing on the riverbank... usual disclaimers about personal safety apply.

HTH. :smile:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Tactfully broached the subject with the wife last night, train from Helsinki makes it a bit easier for us Finns. Let’s see, I’d love to attend my first MAKS.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Berf

Post by Berf »

Website now changed to 27 August to 1 Sept

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Well that sucks.

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Bu**er.

I booked a family holiday for last 2 week is August so that I could go to MAKS, now they change the dates so Im screwed. Not happy.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Sent them an email on Friday, we'll see if it's an official thing yet (although with the website changing I would guess it's fairly official) then I guess I will try to talk to British Airways and see if I can figure out something with them. It's complicated since I actually fly in to Heathrow on Air Canada, and to Moscow and then home to Alberta on British Airways at the moment, so it's going to be a matter of if they'll let me move the Moscow flights to the august days, then use the other two legs to and from Heathrow for the RIAT trip.

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Skyflash wrote:
DealerNation wrote:I'm planning to go, but I've read articles that it's backlit inside the airport. Then where do photographers normally go? Is it easy to get there?

The far bank of the Moskva river is easily accessible and places you south* of the display line, thus helping with the backlit issue.

If you'll forgive a moment of self-promotion, I wrote a review of the 2017 show for UKAR which you can read here which contains a description of the photo opportunities both inside and out.

*In truth you're pretty much directly underneath the flying display when standing on the riverbank... usual disclaimers about personal safety apply.

If the location you are saying is easily accessible, is it possible to get there by foot from the airshow entry? How long does it take to get there from the airshow entry???

I've read your review last year and that's the main reason why I want to go to MAKS next year :smile:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

DealerNation wrote:
Skyflash wrote:

If the location you are saying is easily accessible, is it possible to get there by foot from the airshow entry? How long does it take to get there from the airshow entry???

I've read your review last year and that's the main reason why I want to go to MAKS next year :smile:

Thanks!

No, unfortunately you can't walk there from Zhukovsky itself, largely because the river is in the way. You have to take a taxi... we got off the train at (I think) Rodniki station and then persuaded a local taxi driver to take us to where we wanted to be (he dropped us off on the outskirts of Vertyachevo village, for reasons which will become immediately apparent if you look at a map). As none of us spoke Russian and he didn't speak English, this was an 'interesting' exchange, largely involving a lot of pointing, print-outs of satellite images from Google Earth, and Google Translate on our phones! As it was a decent fare for the bloke (about £20 I think) he didn't require much persuading to come back and pick us up in the evening after the flying.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

So do we think these new dates are going to stay the same? Just wondering before I go paying to change flights again.

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

The Aviasalon web site states that the Russian Government has passed and decreed authority to Aviasalon for MAKS to be held over the new dates published on the site. A couple of friends from Moscow who always get Press Accreditation have had these dates given as the correct dates due to the moving of Army Expo. A re- run of 2 years ago but the other way round ( if that makes sense? )
After checking with Aeroflot it appears that I can change the dates of my flights for a small fee, 35 Euros but I may wait until the new year just as a precaution in case things change again .
Last time I looked Ian Allan hadn’t updated their site with the new dates.Anyone on here booked with IA ?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on UK Airshows.

AlphaVictor

Post by AlphaVictor »

Yes Spaceward,I have provisionally booked with IA. Had an email from them a few weeks ago about the possible change of date and that they would update the itinerary when they had more details.
Good news and bad with new dates....Good, will not have to be at LHR at silly in the morning the day after RIAT departures........Bad, weather may be an issue a month later.

AV

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Thinking about attending this for the first time with Ian Allen. I hope we see some bombers this year.