Warbirds over Wanaka 2020

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
DaveBr

Warbirds over Wanaka 2020

Post by DaveBr »

We're travelling to New Zealand in March/April and including a long weekend at Wanaka for the airshow. Will be attending the show Fri/Sat/Sun and also going back into town for the Friday afternoon lake side show. I've already booked accommodation in Wanaka and Gold Pass tickets for the airshow.

Although the Gold Pass includes grandstand this doesn't necessarily mean it's the best place for viewing/photography or that I'll want to spend the whole weekend in the same location. I'm wondering therefore whether anyone who has been to Wanaka before can offer any tips or insights into the showground layout, best places to be at various times of day or any other general advice?

Thanks!

https://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/

Andyph

Re: Warbirds over Wanaka 2020

Post by Andyph »

Hi Dave,

Good for You,

The gold pass area is excellent - I'd maybe spend a day at the eastern end of the runway for a day - right where they hold. or you can watch from outside at near the same point

Thursday is a great day outside - Friday has surprising few movements - go the the north side of the lake I'd suggest for the Catalina on the evening gig.

If it is your thing we went up Rob Roy Glacier during Friday and back to the lake for the show.

I'd also consider a day at Queenstown airport - eastern end if you are a photographer- especially if some good stuff is flying from there -

RAAF Hornets booked - Nice.

And if you want to do some avaition tourism - Mount Cook Skiplanes is the way to go on a porter!

Cheers

Andy

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Interesting stuff, thanks Andy.

I'd be OK with skipping the airfield on Friday were it not for the prospect of seeing the P-40 fire its guns on the ground. That's gotta be worth seeing!

Good reminder on the glacier flights. We definitely need to consider that.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Andy has pretty-much summed it up, however, if the prevailing winds are from the west(ish), be prepared for the Catalina to approach from right over the township. When I was there in 2018 we were sat on the lake shore at approx. the Edgewater Hotel and were too far away. The Catalina came in from the east, over the centre of Pembroke Park and onto the water. The best position would have been somewhere in the vicinity of the That Wanaka Tree and around to McDougall St. Be sure of the wind direction and then choose your spot. SW side of the lake is probably better for sun position at that time of the day, too.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the show and the gorgeous scenery.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Just checking if you can be in Auckland on Sunday 15th March?
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/28242 ... 20-ardmore
Are you planning on visiting NZ Warbirds at some point? I doubt all of their WW1 replicas will make it to Wanaka, and you can walk right up to all of their aircraft when taking a tour.

Also, TVAL generally have pilot training weekends at Masterton last weekend of the month. Not an airshow, but you can watch from the local Aero Club.

I agree with the suggestion to spend some time at Wanaka at the right hand end of the crowd line. And note if you are at the airfield outside of show days, the cafe at the museum next door is actually the tasting room for the adjacent craft brewery.
http://www.wanakabeerworks.co.nz/brewery-tours

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Thanks all.

We won't make it to Ardmore this visit. We'll be staying with my sister in Wellington for a week, but that's as far as we'll go on the North Island. It seems my sister will be in NZ for the foreseeable future though so I expect we'll be back to explore the North Island on a future visit.

Back to Wanaka - what's the airshow parking like, re: organisation, queues to get in, get out, etc ? We're staying in town so I was originally thinking of taking the shuttlebus to the airfield on the show days. However, I'm now wondering if it's better to drive and have the flexibility to get there early and stay late.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

In 2018 I was staying in Queenstown, driving over the mountain early-ish (as it isn't a road that is nice to be following people on) and didn't have any issues with carpark queues into the Gold Pass area. I didn't speak with anyone using the shuttle. So not much help I'm afraid!

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

B-52 for the Sunday.
Seems the USAF C-17 dropped off though

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

There is no traffic to speak off from town.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Hadn't noticed the C-17 had gone, that's a shame.

Still hoping for another piston warbird or two, tbh. Wouldn't they normally have some WWI stuff too?

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Usually not WW1 - just go to masterton and Omaka.

I cant see any other piston warbirds flying there - Corsair is a long story and FW-190 unlikely to leave Omaka - just go and see it there!

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Friday 10th April – Practice Day

No airshow is scheduled this day.

Gates open at 7.30am – Warbird, civil and military aircraft conduct practised displays in preparation for the following Airshow days. All ground exhibits are open.

Lake Event

Free lakeside aircraft event for all from 4.30pm - 5pm.

Programme will start with the firing of two 25 pounder field guns from the Warhorses, across the Lake. The programme will include the Catalina landing and taking off from the Lake; aerobatics from the Yak 52 Team; RNZAF helicopter capability display, a special flypast and the half hour programme will finish with a stunning flare display from the RNZAF mighty Hercules.

SATURDAY 11TH APRIL AND SUNDAY 12TH APRIL
In the air you will see some of the world’s most iconic Warbird aircraft plus more modern military machines, aerobatics and so much more. The aerial action is backed by world-class pyrotechnics while the military re-enactor group and the RNZAF Band, the WWII 'Bombette' singers, USAF Rock Band and the Wanaka Ukelele Group will entertain on the ground.

The flying programme for both days may vary in content and sequence and will be subject to aircraft serviceability. It will run continuously from 1000 until 1600.

THE B-52 BOMBER WILL FLYOVER ON SUNDAY 12TH ONLY, TIME YET TO BE DETERMINED.

Morning Programme 1000 – 1250

Show Opening – be here on time!

The Dancing de Havillands

Civil Helicopter display

Unlimited Aerobatics MXS

Yak 52 Team Formation Aerobatics

RNZAF display

United States Air Force C-130J display

I-16 Polikarpov solo display – Jurgis Kairys

Marsh Harvard Aerobatics Display team

Universal Developments Jet Race followed by Jet Aerobatics

Lunchtime Entertainment 1250 - 1345

Glider display

Frazer Briggs – model aircraft

Classic Aircraft of the 1930s Display

WOW Flying Scholarship recipient’s flypast

Warhorse Display – Military Re-enactment & Field Gun barrage

Afternoon Programme 1345 – 1600

Spitfires and P-40 displays

Battle of Milne Bay (Pacific), Nanchangs, P-40N/guns.

PBY Consolidated Catalina / Air Chatham’s DC3

P-51D Mustangs

RAAF F/A-18 Hornet display

Yak 3s and I-16 Polikarpov – Battle of Kharkov (Eastern Front)

Avro Anson Mk 1 /Trojans/Grumman Avenger flypast and solo displays

Trojan pairs aerobatic display.

The Grand Finale 1540 -1600

Mock Attack

Massed Fighter Flypast. (Tribute to 75th Anniversary of VE Day)

Airshow ends

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Anyone like to place bets on whether I'll be able to travel to New Zealand (via LAX) on 31/3? :sad:

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

DaveBr wrote:Anyone like to place bets on whether I'll be able to travel to New Zealand (via LAX) on 31/3? :sad:

I hope not! And I hope you have valid insurance!

I m quite keen on NZ closing it borders for a while. Only 5 cases here and no new ones for a week.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

DaveBr wrote:Anyone like to place bets on whether I'll be able to travel to New Zealand (via LAX) on 31/3? :sad:

Small chance. Very little chance you will be able to get home via there, I would think.

Re-book for Omaka next Easter? Unfortunately the dates for Wings Over Wairarapa 2021 (which is likely the only place to see TVAL-owned machines) haven't been announced yet.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

ErrolC wrote:

Small chance. Very little chance you will be able to get home via there, I would think.

Re-book for Omaka next Easter? Unfortunately the dates for Wings Over Wairarapa 2021 (which is likely the only place to see TVAL-owned machines) haven't been announced yet.

Correction, WoW Feb 19 - 21 2021
Wings.org.nz

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Hard to imagine it not being Canxed.

Certainly can see the Aussie Hornets pulling the plug

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Technically if visitors arrive before 27th March they can attend the airshow.
https://stuff.co.nz/national/health/cor ... 9-outbreak

From midnight Sunday, every person arriving in New Zealand will have to isolate themselves for 14 days, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced.
Travel restrictions would be reviewed in 16 days, the PM said.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

This is the worst case scenario for us as it's not (yet) enough for Insurance to kick in. We need the FCO to advise against 'all but essential travel' to New Zealand.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Cancelled

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Andyph wrote:Cancelled

https://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/2020 ... cancelled/
15 March 2020 - by mandy deans

The Southern Hemisphere’s largest Warbirds Airshow, Warbirds Over Wanaka, has been cancelled in the wake of the New Zealand Government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Airshow, planned for Easter weekend, had been expected to attract 55,000 people over the three days with several thousand of those international visitors.

Organisers have confirmed all tickets will be refunded in full but have asked ticket holders to wait for a few days while organisers confirm specifics about how people will be able to access refunds.

Andyph

Warbirds over Wanaka 2022

Post by Andyph »

And the 2022 show has been Cancelled

GeorgeP

Re: Warbirds over Wanaka 2022

Post by GeorgeP »

Andyph wrote:
Wed 26 Jan 2022, 12:40 am
And the 2022 show has been Cancelled
Groan.... Hopefully we can look forward to Classic Fighters next year. I'm crossing everything that doesn't cause pain. :wink: :grinning:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums