Historic aviation art discussion

Historic aviation art discussion

Postby Elliott Marsh on Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:57 pm

As an ardent collector of aviation prints, I thought a discussion thread on the topic might generate some interest. I have a fairly large and varied collection bought from the major galleries and from the secondary market, consisting of work by Robert Taylor, Nicolas Trudgian, Gil Cohen, Anthony Cowland, Alex Hamilton and others.

I bought two unframed Alex Hamilton prints last year - On Gladiator's Wings & And not to yield. I'm due to have them framed, likely by Aces High (whose work I have huge respect and admiration for) later this year. I love how he captures something pure and essential about the subjects. His cloudscape work is lovely, too.

People may remember On Gladiator's Wings as a recent Flying Legends programme cover. I had this done as a remarque with an original pencil drawing of Shuttleworth's Gladiator beneath the main print.

I also picked up the exquisite And not to yield:

I noticed during the week that he's added some new prints to his portfolio.

Stephenson's Stuka depicts the IWM's Spitfire Mk.I N3200:

The Nelson, meanwhile, is a lovely portrait of ARCo's Blenheim:

I'm not sure if this piece, of Spitfire Mk.I P9374 and friends, was previously available or is a new release:

The Baron's First is certainly new, and looks a bit book cover-ish:

Elliott Marsh

Re: Historic aviation art discussion

Postby Berf on Sun 12 Jan 2020, 4:32 pm

I have a lot of prints but have recently been interested in the work of Piotr Forkasiewicz using CGI. While some are 'too CGI' the medium does bring great details and in the night images an almost 3d glow that is rarely produced in other pictures.

https://peterfor.com/projects/AelbX?album_id=31856

https://peterfor.com/albums/31856
Berf

Postby cometguymk1 on Mon 13 Jan 2020, 8:53 am

I love the annual Guild of Aviation Artists exhibition in London. Free to enter and usually takes a good hour to walk round all the pieces, a couple have come home from there before :)
cometguymk1

Postby Don Clark on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 10:01 am

I've long been impressed by the aviation works of Michael and of Graham Turner.

I was never able to scrape together the funds to buy MTs Balkan Warrior original before it found a home, however they offer a good print service at several standards at their Studio 88 . So in retirement I was able to indulge in a signed giclee print of that subject and very nice it looks on the study wall behind me. I like Balkan Warrior for it's dash, as a subject and in the very brushwork. Reminiscent of the dash of the likely Pilot and crew.

The aircraft is, of course, a Blenheim I: L6670 of 211 Squadron when in Northern Greece, on low attack over Italian ground forces in late 1940. The scene doesn't match any recorded ops of that time for L6670, however, the aircraft was most often flown by the Squadron CO, the redoubtable GF, otherwise "The Bish", S/Ldr JR Gordon-Finlayson DSO DFC.

The painting was done in 1981, at a time when not so much was known about the Greek campaign, or about WW 2 RAF aircraft codes. For those with sharp eyes and an interest in such things, there are at least two departures from strict accuracy in the work, but it is a fine thing nevertheless.

My mention of a more recent Blenheim work by a mate of mine here in Canberra was, as an original painting rather than a print, quite off topic for this thread: so I've taken it down. Apologies, all.

However, I can add something on WW I art: some great artists are members of the Canadian Aerospace Artists Association. Don Connolly is one of these. Prints of his works are available about the place, one of his WW I subjects being a fine study of 211 Squadron DH9s, Target at 270 showing "Punch" Dickins DFC OBE OC and Observer Jock Adam in B7626, as the Squadron turns to attack.
Last edited by Don Clark on Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Don Clark

Postby TonyC on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 4:51 pm

For me, the work produced by Russell Smith is simply stunning!

https://russellsmithart.com/?keyvalue=26019&page=ArchivedWorks
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!
TonyC

Return to Historic Aviation